British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Newcomer looking to move to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/newcomer-looking-move-australia-925749/)

lynx636 Jun 14th 2019 7:05 am

Newcomer looking to move to Australia

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to move out to Australia in the next year or two and have been doing my research on what is required to get me there.

At this point I'm looking for some clarification on the costs of everything to see if I'm getting this right.
I didn't realise it was be so expensive just to get a visa application into the system.

So the VETASSESS...... I'm going in for the Electrician (Special Class) and all in I've worked out it'll cost $5480 or around £3000 at current rates.
Then to complete a visa application for my family (wife and 2 kids) we are looking at around £5000 (can't remember the figure in dollars)

So around £8000 just to get to the stage where I will have handed in an application.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks

christmasoompa Jun 14th 2019 9:02 am

Re: Newcomer looking to move to Australia

Hi, welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the main Australia forum as I think you'll get more response there.

Emigration is an expensive thing to do unfortunately, it costs tens of thousands for a family to move abroad usually, so sounds about right to me, but those in the know in Oz will be along to help you shortly.

Best of luck.

lynx636 Jun 14th 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12697982)
Hi, welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the main Australia forum as I think you'll get more response there.

Emigration is an expensive thing to do unfortunately, it costs tens of thousands for a family to move abroad usually, so sounds about right to me, but those in the know in Oz will be along to help you shortly.

Best of luck.

Yeah I guessed it would be. Just wanted to make sure the prices I'm seeing are from the official government bodies and that I wont be getting ripped off by some sort of agency/company.

Thank you

Pollyana Jun 14th 2019 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by lynx636 (Post 12698012)
Yeah I guessed it would be. Just wanted to make sure the prices I'm seeing are from the official government bodies and that I wont be getting ripped off by some sort of agency/company.

Thank you

VETASSES fees should be on their website.

Visa fees are on the government website - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...es-and-charges Beware, they usually increase on July 1st.

You also need to factor in medicals, police checks, and possibly English tests if you need extra points.

carcajou Jun 14th 2019 12:50 pm

When you factor in the cost of physically making the move, your estimates are seriously low. Remember that virtually everything has to be re-bought, down to the candlestick holders, unless you are going to fill a shipping container - itself a big expense. You also need to plan to have several months' income (preferably a year) in reserve to hold you over until you get stable employment.

Migrating is not cheap.

verystormy Jun 15th 2019 6:13 am

Will just reiterate the point above. Visa costs are nowhere near the biggest expense. The biggest ones come after the move. As an electrician, you will also have some additional costs. Electricians are a licensed occupation in Oz, so you will need to obtain a state license. This varies a bit by state, but generally, you will need to work as a trade assistant - a bit like an apprentice for about a year. You will need to take some collage courses. These can be very expensive.

the troubadour Jun 17th 2019 11:48 am

Immigration to Australia has become a business and an expensive one at that. Just ensure that the return is worthwhile. One thing in your favour initially being a falling Australian dollar. More likely to come with falling interest rates. Makes living here more expensive of course with so much imported.