British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   newcomer-HELP-JOB INTERVIEW ADVICE NEEDED. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/newcomer-help-job-interview-advice-needed-260790/)

scanny Oct 18th 2004 1:50 pm

newcomer-HELP-JOB INTERVIEW ADVICE NEEDED.

Hi, Just Found This Website. Im A Female Staff Nurse Moving My Husband And 8 Year Old Son To South Oz. I Have A Job Interview With The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Staff From Adelaide In Manchester England On Wed 20th Oct. I Have 4 Years Exp In Acute Surgery And Critical Care As A "d" Grade And At Work I Know My Stuff But I'm Worried That I'll Go Blank In Interview. Has Anybody Got Experience In What Sort Of Questions Might Be Asked, Its Only A Half Hour Interview And They Will Spend Some Of That Time Telling Me About Them I Presume And Ask A Little About Me? I'm Probably Panicking A Bit Because I Really Want To Move. Help!!!!!

walla Oct 18th 2004 1:55 pm

Re: newcomer-HELP-JOB INTERVIEW ADVICE NEEDED.

Originally Posted by scanny
Hi, Just Found This Website. Im A Female Staff Nurse Moving My Husband And 8 Year Old Son To South Oz. I Have A Job Interview With The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Staff From Adelaide In Manchester England On Wed 20th Oct. I Have 4 Years Exp In Acute Surgery And Critical Care As A "d" Grade And At Work I Know My Stuff But I'm Worried That I'll Go Blank In Interview. Has Anybody Got Experience In What Sort Of Questions Might Be Asked, Its Only A Half Hour Interview And They Will Spend Some Of That Time Telling Me About Them I Presume And Ask A Little About Me? I'm Probably Panicking A Bit Because I Really Want To Move. Help!!!!!

oh, with that kind of experience I would imagine they'll snap ya hands off. I'm not a nurse but I guess they'll ask you what you know anyway, relax you'll be fine and good luck.

Let us now how ya get on

Walla

Siren & Brian Oct 18th 2004 1:55 pm

I can't help with the nursing stuff but I would suggest trying to type without Capitalising Each Letter Because It's Annoying To Read.

Sorry, just passing on a little "netiquette" :D

Best of luck with the interview!! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Siren

Three Legs Oct 18th 2004 1:56 pm

Shake their hand firmly and look 'em in the eye...

Hope this...*ahem*...helps.

:rolleyes:

Best of luck

Three Legs

scanny Oct 18th 2004 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by walla1
oh, with that kind of experience I would imagine they'll snap ya hands off. I'm not a nurse but I guess they'll ask you what you know anyway, relax you'll be fine and good luck.

Let us now how ya get on

Walla

Thanks for the support-i'll let you know.

scanny Oct 18th 2004 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Siren
I can't help with the nursing stuff but I would suggest trying to type without Capitalising Each Letter Because It's Annoying To Read.

Sorry, just passing on a little "netiquette" :D

Best of luck with the interview!! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Siren

sos for the annoyance-didn't realise-thanks for the support.

scanny Oct 18th 2004 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Shake their hand firmly and look 'em in the eye...

Hope this...*ahem*...helps.

:rolleyes:

Best of luck

Three Legs

good advice-cheers.

anya4oz Oct 18th 2004 9:19 pm

Hi Scanny

Am not a nurse myself but have been for interviews in my field (IT) here. For what it's worth, they tend to go for a lot of 'behavioral' questions when interviewing - am sure they will do this even in an overseas interview. These tend to be along the lines of 'tell me about a time when you had some very difficult people to deal with and how you coped'. I think it must be an Aussie thing - actually very good for the interviewee as, with your experience, it will give you a chance to show off about some of the best stuff you've done! Perhaps worth making yourself a prompt list of major achievements, med probelms solved etc to take into the interview? This always works for me...

Have an early night before the intertview - nice warm relaxing bath with lavender oil in, wear a smart outfit you *like*, to give you self confidence (and shoes you can walk in!). But then, you know all that!!

Very best of luck - we need more good nurses here in Oz.

Cheers,
Anya.

CasG Oct 18th 2004 9:32 pm

Just to reassure you, I had an interview for Melbourne Mental Health a couple of weeks ago by phone. It was very relaxed - they wanted to know about me really - what I like about the job I'm in now (applied for work in same field), why I want to go to Aus, what makes me tick as a person - that sort of thing.
I was offered the job there and then and from the start of the interview was totally put at ease.
I MAY have been lucky with this particular interviewer, but they did not ask me any real clinical questions or scenario questions - I suppose they had gleaned a lot of info through CV and references etc.
One tip is to make sure you have questions for them - I asked quite a few, but not so many as to inundate him - maybe 6/7?

Good luck anyway - relax and just think of where it will get you and before long you will be on your way.
Take care, Cas

scanny Oct 19th 2004 7:23 am

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Scanny

Am not a nurse myself but have been for interviews in my field (IT) here. For what it's worth, they tend to go for a lot of 'behavioral' questions when interviewing - am sure they will do this even in an overseas interview. These tend to be along the lines of 'tell me about a time when you had some very difficult people to deal with and how you coped'. I think it must be an Aussie thing - actually very good for the interviewee as, with your experience, it will give you a chance to show off about some of the best stuff you've done! Perhaps worth making yourself a prompt list of major achievements, med probelms solved etc to take into the interview? This always works for me...

Have an early night before the intertview - nice warm relaxing bath with lavender oil in, wear a smart outfit you *like*, to give you self confidence (and shoes you can walk in!). But then, you know all that!!

Very best of luck - we need more good nurses here in Oz.

Cheers,
Anya.

Thanks Anya -Just the sort of thing I needed to know. Feel more relaxed.
scanny.

scanny Oct 19th 2004 7:29 am

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Just to reassure you, I had an interview for Melbourne Mental Health a couple of weeks ago by phone. It was very relaxed - they wanted to know about me really - what I like about the job I'm in now (applied for work in same field), why I want to go to Aus, what makes me tick as a person - that sort of thing.
I was offered the job there and then and from the start of the interview was totally put at ease.
I MAY have been lucky with this particular interviewer, but they did not ask me any real clinical questions or scenario questions - I suppose they had gleaned a lot of info through CV and references etc.
One tip is to make sure you have questions for them - I asked quite a few, but not so many as to inundate him - maybe 6/7?

Good luck anyway - relax and just think of where it will get you and before long you will be on your way.
Take care, Cas

Thanks Cas-well done with your interview, hope I'm as lucky. Great help, more relaxed now and more confident. Enjoy life down under. Scanny.

scanny Oct 23rd 2004 8:23 am

Originally Posted by walla1

Let us now how ya get on

Walla

Bit of a late reply having trouble keeping on top of all the responses to threads, Probably already seen my good news on site about the job-great news but a whole new can of worms opened now :scared: (well I was hungry, hee hee!) Thanks anyway Scanny.

Kristine Oct 23rd 2004 9:22 am

Hi there,
Just wondering if you have a job description to work from. I do lots of interviews at work (non nursing - sorry) and I usually form questions from each statement listed on the job spec.
When i go for interviews myself I look at job spec and just write a few lines on a card about how I can do each task!!
Hope this may be of some small help.
I'm moving to Canberra in Jan to work as a family worker - i had the most bizarre interview it went like 'tell us a bit about this' 'tell us a bit about that' very weird and was convinced I didn't get it - but hey ho!
Let us know how you get on!
Sending you lots of luck.x :)

Kristine Oct 23rd 2004 9:33 am

Sorry,
Was distracted by the guys laying flooring in my kitchen :scared: !!!!!! So missed your good news!
Congrats on the job!!!!

scanny Oct 23rd 2004 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kristine
Sorry,
Was distracted by the guys laying flooring in my kitchen :scared: !!!!!! So missed your good news!
Congrats on the job!!!!

Thanks for the luck anyway. Now about these guys laying your floor ;) Looks? size? any good at laying? :D Scanny.