Newcastle NSW

Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:38 am
  #61  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 242
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

We've actually decided to pack it in here in Newcastle, and will try Canberra (or possibly Sydney) next. Hopefully won't spend another summer here.
I think we'll give Canberra a fair go, a couple years and see how we feel then. My wife isn't crazy about the place in general and we have been talking about moving back before the kids get old enough to get attached.
For us the real only advantage is the space, there's plenty of it and we enjoy the seclusion. Of course there's lots of other minor upsides but objectively, we have realised we don't enjoy the dead beat lifestyle proudly on offer.
Newcastle is nothing terrible, its all just been a bit of a mild disappointment.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:08 am
  #62  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 111
jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
We've actually decided to pack it in here in Newcastle, and will try Canberra (or possibly Sydney) next. Hopefully won't spend another summer here.
I think we'll give Canberra a fair go, a couple years and see how we feel then. My wife isn't crazy about the place in general and we have been talking about moving back before the kids get old enough to get attached.
For us the real only advantage is the space, there's plenty of it and we enjoy the seclusion. Of course there's lots of other minor upsides but objectively, we have realised we don't enjoy the dead beat lifestyle proudly on offer.
Newcastle is nothing terrible, its all just been a bit of a mild disappointment.
if you struggle here do you have a better paid job and cheaper rent lined up in canberra? if not how will your financial circumstance change?

also you said previously that if your wife goes to work its basically pointless as all her earning go on childcare... well i can absolutely guarantee that the same happens in the uk. my bother just had a kid and his wife qorks in childcare, shes only at work as they get subsidised childcare at the place she works and a small government benefit, so the child goes 4 days a week she doesnt work the 5 day as all her wage gets taken up by the childcare without a subsidy. if she didnt work in childcare then she wouldnt have gone back to work at all as its financially not worth it. she also has a degree.

i suppose my point is its the same in uk unless you have parents willing to do the childminding every day every week untill they go to school.

i managed to rent a place with no job out of luck tbh and 3 months up front lol
either way no matter what you decide i hope it works out
jon111 is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:16 am
  #63  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 111
jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
Jewells is lovely, imo. I am in Dudley but would rather Jewells as 3x bus service to Newcastle (have teen). While it's true that you are in the "honeymoon phase" where everything is lush, I think you should just enjoy that and make the most of it. RR is in the 3-year slump phase. It's all part of culture shock and gradual adaptation.
hehe possibly for me im enjoying redhead and the lake being so close honeymoon phase maybe although tbh i lived in some very rough places in the uk and you can normally get a feel for an area.

i am enjoying it but the main thing will be jobs wages and whats left after paying bills. thats what will make or break it for me and iv only driven through dudley how long have you been there/here??
jon111 is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:57 am
  #64  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 242
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by jon111 View Post
if you struggle here do you have a better paid job and cheaper rent lined up in canberra? if not how will your financial circumstance change?

also you said previously that if your wife goes to work its basically pointless as all her earning go on childcare... well i can absolutely guarantee that the same happens in the uk. my bother just had a kid and his wife qorks in childcare, shes only at work as they get subsidised childcare at the place she works and a small government benefit, so the child goes 4 days a week she doesnt work the 5 day as all her wage gets taken up by the childcare without a subsidy. if she didnt work in childcare then she wouldnt have gone back to work at all as its financially not worth it. she also has a degree.

i suppose my point is its the same in uk unless you have parents willing to do the childminding every day every week untill they go to school.

i managed to rent a place with no job out of luck tbh and 3 months up front lol
either way no matter what you decide i hope it works out
We visited once and had a fairly positive impression of Canberra.
Rent will probably be a lot more, but the wages are much higher too (at least in my line of work).
In terms of the work I do (IT) its a no brainer. Newcastle has like 2-3 jobs come up a year compared to hundreds in Canberra. A quick look on SEEK validates this (granted most of the hits are false, but it gives you a good idea of the ratio).
At the end of the day, a lot of it boils down to luck. I feel a bit unlucky, having not made any ties here, no friends, etc. A great deal depends on what work you do, which crowd you fall in with etc.
Here we feel we have nothing in common with anyone. The few people that aren't Bogan, although "friendly chatty" ultimately are a bit standoffish and brain-dead, the only level they engage is with small talk, and I find that boring, and am fed up of playing along with that whole routine. For me this situation is quite unusual as I've always made lots of friends anywhere else I've worked and lived, and am generally quite social.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 4:58 am
  #65  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
We visited once and had a fairly positive impression of Canberra.
Rent will probably be a lot more, but the wages are much higher too (at least in my line of work).
In terms of the work I do (IT) its a no brainer. Newcastle has like 2-3 jobs come up a year compared to hundreds in Canberra. A quick look on SEEK validates this (granted most of the hits are false, but it gives you a good idea of the ratio).
At the end of the day, a lot of it boils down to luck. I feel a bit unlucky, having not made any ties here, no friends, etc. A great deal depends on what work you do, which crowd you fall in with etc.
Here we feel we have nothing in common with anyone. The few people that aren't Bogan, although "friendly chatty" ultimately are a bit standoffish and brain-dead, the only level they engage is with small talk, and I find that boring, and am fed up of playing along with that whole routine. For me this situation is quite unusual as I've always made lots of friends anywhere else I've worked and lived, and am generally quite social.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me.
TBH, I really find your persistent characterisations of people as "brain dead" etc a bit offensive and it indicates your attitude is part of the problem, BUT, otoh, in the spirit of BE support I am still going to share our impressions of Canberra V Newcastle (daughter in fourth year of uni in Canberra). If you remove the ocean from the deal then Newcastle has absolutely nothing over Canberra, imo. My older daughter has a really great QoL in Canberra - especially for a student - amazing camping, bush walking and swimming spots for weekend fun, loads of cool city stuff (like actual city) but all in a clean, well planned environment. She is always trying to persuade us to move there and she often comments on the comparative scruffy bogan-ness of Newcastle when she visits. She is also convinced we would have made more friends in Canberra as she thinks the place has a "vibe" and attracts people more like us. We have struggled a bit with Newcastle because it's the kind of place people grow up and stay in so have full social lives already. We've been down to stay with her often in Canberra and have definitely fallen for the city's charms and the environment too (caveat: 3/4 of my family love sporty/ remote/ outdoor pursuits). Regret not moving there but DD2 is in high school and husband not at a good point to move in his career either. Not out of the question longer term but very reluctant to move and love a lot about where we live and Newcastle.
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:04 am
  #66  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by jon111 View Post
hehe possibly for me im enjoying redhead and the lake being so close honeymoon phase maybe although tbh i lived in some very rough places in the uk and you can normally get a feel for an area.

i am enjoying it but the main thing will be jobs wages and whats left after paying bills. thats what will make or break it for me and iv only driven through dudley how long have you been there/here??
I like Redhead but, imo, it's not a very child-friendly beach because it is known for strong currents and rips due to the rocky headland, long beach and double sand bar. It often has very strong shore dumping waves too - I had an "experience" there once that put me off. Husband loves it (hand plane body surfer) but ocean confident teens and I favour Caves or Merewether/ Bar. Best beach in the area, imo, is One Mile at Port Stephens.

Been in Dudley just over three years but been coming annually to the area for almost ten (from NZ).
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 8:02 am
  #67  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,447
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
TBH, I really find your persistent characterisations of people as "brain dead" etc a bit offensive and it indicates your attitude is part of the problem, BUT, otoh, in the spirit of BE support I am still going to share our impressions of Canberra V Newcastle (daughter in fourth year of uni in Canberra). .
But to be fair, Newcastle does have some "brain dead" areas. All places do, Canberra too. Plenty of places below the latte line in Sydney. Plenty of places in the UK. Maybe "Brain Dead" is a bit harsh but I think we know what he means - places you would not be first, second or third choices on locations to live.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 8:15 am
  #68  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
But to be fair, Newcastle does have some "brain dead" areas. All places do, Canberra too. Plenty of places below the latte line in Sydney. Plenty of places in the UK. Maybe "Brain Dead" is a bit harsh but I think we know what he means - places you would not be first, second or third choices on locations to live.
Oh I do agree that everywhere has "less desirable" areas and folk you don't want as your neighbours, let alone work colleagues; he said of Newcastle that they're all either bogans or brain dead and that's a bit much I think. I've met some really lovely people here!
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:52 am
  #69  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 242
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
Oh I do agree that everywhere has "less desirable" areas and folk you don't want as your neighbours, let alone work colleagues; he said of Newcastle that they're all either bogans or brain dead and that's a bit much I think. I've met some really lovely people here!
Like I said, I feel I've been a bit unlucky with the people I've met. Your claim that I have persistently painted Newcastle as "brain dead" I feel is unfair as its the first time I've mentioned that, and besides, I can't really help the impressions I do get of the place. I'm trying my best to be fair, its just how my experiences have been.

If there's any vibe you get off my posts perhaps its some kickback as I've grown a bit tired of the "Newcastle is the best place in Australia" mantra, that everyone in Newcastle seems to claim in and conversely the "Canberra is shit, you couldn't pay me to live there" attitude. Strikes me as insecurity.

I think we can agree that the coast line of Newcastle is lovely, but beyond a nice relaxing weekend getaway I have to say, that its as I've said, mildly disappointing and a lot less here than meets the eye.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2019, 1:21 pm
  #70  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,447
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
Oh I do agree that everywhere has "less desirable" areas and folk you don't want as your neighbours, let alone work colleagues; he said of Newcastle that they're all either bogans or brain dead and that's a bit much I think. I've met some really lovely people here!
Yes. I have a few companies I do work for in Newcastle and the people at these places are certainly well educated, a good chat, and certainly would live in the better parts. However I have driven through some suburbs that do not look desirable at all. It's just demographics. Something you would find in any large town or city. A sweeping statement is a bit much.

Sounds like a a new suburb might uncover some surprises.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2019, 3:05 pm
  #71  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 242
rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Yes. I have a few companies I do work for in Newcastle and the people at these places are certainly well educated, a good chat, and certainly would live in the better parts. However I have driven through some suburbs that do not look desirable at all. It's just demographics. Something you would find in any large town or city. A sweeping statement is a bit much.

Sounds like a a new suburb might uncover some surprises.
Hey please recommend me a new suburb! I'll be all over it. At the end of the day, it is what it is (how the bogans love that saying). Newcastle isn't bad at all, and certainly wouldn't dream of comparing it to Bir***gham, UK, but if you plan on living here be prepared there is a bit of a price to pay for its rural pleasures.
rabble_rouser is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:16 pm
  #72  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,447
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
Hey please recommend me a new suburb! I'll be all over it. At the end of the day, it is what it is (how the bogans love that saying). Newcastle isn't bad at all, and certainly wouldn't dream of comparing it to Bir***gham, UK, but if you plan on living here be prepared there is a bit of a price to pay for its rural pleasures.
Try The Hill as a starting point.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2019, 10:25 pm
  #73  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Try The Hill as a starting point.
Not on RR's budget!
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2019, 1:41 am
  #74  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,447
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
Not on RR's budget!
Yep. Sounds like they are wanting to live beyond their means.

Not sure if this works in Newcastle, it does in Sydney and London.

Jump on an area when you start seeing the arty types and a few gay couples (not sure if that's politically correct and I don't care) move in. A cafe pops up. Even a brewery or a gin distillery. That can only mean one thing - the area is on the way up and can only get better from there.

Not sure if Newcastle has this type of gentrification thing happening. Maybe in a neighbouring suburb to The Hill.
Beoz is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:39 am
  #75  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 63,713
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser View Post
Hey please recommend me a new suburb! I'll be all over it. At the end of the day, it is what it is (how the bogans love that saying). Newcastle isn't bad at all, and certainly wouldn't dream of comparing it to Bir***gham, UK, but if you plan on living here be prepared there is a bit of a price to pay for its rural pleasures.
Why can't you type Birmingham?
moneypenny20 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.