Newcastle NSW

Old Jan 17th 2019, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newcastle NSW

Hi all

looking at possibly moving there so hoping some of you will have some insights into the place. Any moved there ? how do you find it? only me and the wife so any areas to avoid/go in terms of renting etc?.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

What visa do you have?
Old Jan 18th 2019, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 19th 2019, 4:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't and haven't lived there but it seems to be the place quite few colleagues and ex colleagues are moving to, particularly when they start having children and just can't afford a bigger place in Sydney, anywhere they'd want to live. They enjoy an outdoor lifestyle, swimming in the sea before work, etc., work from home half of the week. Every year I read it's an up and coming place, but to me it's still the "world's biggest coal port". Though hopefully not for much longer.

Will you work up there or commute to the city?
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kooky.
I don't and haven't lived there but it seems to be the place quite few colleagues and ex colleagues are moving to, particularly when they start having children and just can't afford a bigger place in Sydney, anywhere they'd want to live. They enjoy an outdoor lifestyle, swimming in the sea before work, etc., work from home half of the week. Every year I read it's an up and coming place, but to me it's still the "world's biggest coal port". Though hopefully not for much longer.

Will you work up there or commute to the city?
well so long as we can find decent work in Newcastle then won’t commute it’s way to far to Sydney on a daily basis from Newcastle imo. So long as there’s construction and a growing city I’ll assume there’s work for plumbers lol.

Friend of mine said the government is putting 440million into Newcastle’s CBD which I can only assume is true so seems to be getting investment. Always hard when you’re not there yourself to tell what’s what
Old Jan 19th 2019, 8:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well if you're not limited to the city for work, and no need to consider schools, try to keep yourselves fairly mobile and go where the work is. Some lovely coastline up there.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Oh well if you're not limited to the city for work, and no need to consider schools, try to keep yourselves fairly mobile and go where the work is. Some lovely coastline up there.
yeh tbh only thing that puts us off sydney is price everything seems so expensive there and not sure we would get good enough jobs too cover it all initially. decisions decisions lol
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:19 pm
Auntie Fa

If you're not wedded to Newcastle, you could also look south of Sydney. There is a shed load of development going on in Sydney right now and the commute might be easier from, say, Wollongong.

But honestly, I'd be securing a job before committing to a location.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon111
yeh tbh only thing that puts us off sydney is price everything seems so expensive there and not sure we would get good enough jobs too cover it all initially. decisions decisions lol
Apparently, so the tabloids are saying, cost of housing has dramatically dropped in Sydney.

Everything else is the same price as everywhere else in Oz. Many things cheaper.

Salaries better. (I think Canberra might have better salaries).
Old Jan 20th 2019, 11:29 am
Banned

BFrost is an unknown quantity at this point

Newcastle is a good place for living, Only two hours drive north of Sydney on the M1 Freeway, you will find Newcastle, a modern city boasting a rich heritage and stunning coastline. How many other cities offer the opportunity to leave the office at lunchtime and enjoy a refreshing surf or swim only minutes from the city center. Nobbys Beach, Newcastle Beach, Bar Beach, Dixon Park Beach, Merewether Beach and Stockton Beaches are all within 5km of the city centre.

1. Free parking at the beach
2. The great creative/art scene
3. Beautiful beaches like
4. A city vibe without the traffic
5. Wine tasting is only 45mins away
6. It's acceptable to walk around in your activewear regardless of what you are doing.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle is also 45 mins away from one of my most favourite spots in Australia. Port Stephen's.

Many commute from there to Newcastle for work.

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 20th 2019 at 7:30 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:44 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I Agree with BFrost - Newcastle is a nice place and we are considering moving there in a couple of years. We go there regularly for a weekend away or a night out ( Only 90 minutes drive from where we are on the Central Coast ) great restaurants, good bars and pubs, beaches, plenty of housing options though it's getting more expensive.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BFrost
Newcastle is a good place for living, Only two hours drive north of Sydney on the M1 Freeway, you will find Newcastle, a modern city boasting a rich heritage and stunning coastline. How many other cities offer the opportunity to leave the office at lunchtime and enjoy a refreshing surf or swim only minutes from the city center. Nobbys Beach, Newcastle Beach, Bar Beach, Dixon Park Beach, Merewether Beach and Stockton Beaches are all within 5km of the city centre.

1. Free parking at the beach
2. The great creative/art scene
3. Beautiful beaches like
4. A city vibe without the traffic
5. Wine tasting is only 45mins away
6. It's acceptable to walk around in your activewear regardless of what you are doing.
Could you at least edit what you're cutting and pasting so it looks like your words or give the link you're taking your info from. Please and thank you.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Had 2.5 years there. One of only two places we’d live in Australia. Fond memories
Old Mar 30th 2019, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Newcastle area three years now due to accepting a random job offer. Its a good job.

My first impressions of Newcastle were that it was industrial and dilapidated. But that idea did change over time, after witnessing the slow and steady redevelopment of that centre.
The tram lines came in and some residential apartments were thrown up. All the small dead beat businesses that were dotted about the centre shortly closed there after.
For a time I actually felt quite positive about the place, Newcastle is going places, right? Its on the up, surely!
?
Well.....OK it looks smarter now, if just as hopelessly disconnected as ever. But was any point at all to this redevelopment? Nothing has objectively improved.
There's still no reason to shop here, unless you want to stroll on the promenade. There is hardly anything to do in the centre, a couple half/quarter disconnected streets of a few hipster burger joints and your standard grubby overpriced Asian takeouts....its empty....lots of abandoned buildings.

It has become apparent that Newcastle flattered to deceive. I wanted to believe that Newcastle was going places. Its not. There is nothing and never will be anything of significance in Newcastle.
Don't get me wrong, its "nice", if you have a job offer with a good salary then its a "nice" place to live. Strolling on the promenade is "nice". But I wouldn't ever move here without some security. After my current job is over I will certainly
be forced to move, there is simply no work for what I do here.

Enter the andecdotal evidence: My friend and coworker here has interviewed for jobs for a year and half, and hasn't got a whiff, nor my wife. I certainly wouldn't fancy my chances either. I'm not saying there is no work, its just that there's not much outside low wage services stuff.

Much like all of Australia, Newcastle is also breathtakingly expensive, with low salaries to match. The summer is a good and proper six months minimum long with the usual disgusting Australian summer stench that you cannot escape, unless you enjoy hanging out at "Wests" with gambling addicts, or you could spend all your money shopping because its the only place thats cool during summer. Wooden houses are NOT charming when its not winter. You can of course, try Nelson Bay, but you will be in direct competition with hordes of Lebanese from Sydney, and the bus loads of Koreans, or if you prefer you can go a couple beaches up and try mingling with 'Petrol Head' Bogans and Meth addicts around Lemon Tree passage. If that doesn't put you off, I'll admit its pretty scenic. Thats the thing about beach towns. They are just so damn sordid. Either pricey, as in Millionaire pricey or just damn seedy. With the exception of Newcastle Bar Beach itself, the whole area is very much the latter.

Anyway, if you are established with family here, its affordable and not a bad place, but as a newcomer its quite different.

I have somewhat enjoyed my time here, but am looking forward to moving on in due course. I'm thinking mountains next.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.