Newcastle, NSW

Old May 24th 2010, 4:35 am
Just Joined

vicky whitton is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Newcastle, NSW

Hi living in Bunbury ,Western OZ hubby may be about to lose job on mine, thinking of moving to Newcastle or hunter valley area for mining work there, can anyone give me any info on life in Newcastle we have no kids and enjoy a good meal and a few drinks and what suburbs are best, also whats public transport like, also Bunbury is a city but being a pom to me very small, does Newcastle feel like a big city and is it easy to get round ie traffic, is there many expats out there in that area,
Old May 24th 2010, 4:43 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newcastle, NSW

Newcastle is a lot larger than Bunbury but it still has the feelign of a small town. Has some great breweries and has a decent beach lifestyle. cost of living there is still affordable but you're still 2 hours away drive from Sydney.
Old May 24th 2010, 5:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Newcastle is a lot larger than Bunbury but it still has the feelign of a small town. Has some great breweries and has a decent beach lifestyle. cost of living there is still affordable but you're still 2 hours away drive from Sydney.
Agree with all that. I have spent a few midweek nights there on business and some good restaurants but the pubs shut at 10pm!!!!
Old May 24th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

I know the Newcastle area pretty well but it would snow in hell before I ever moved there.

Although all of your amenities are covered it is a very ugly and drab place to live. It looks like an old industrial village (because it was I suppose) all the buildings are run down, lots of boarded up shops houses are all old and not in the good way.

I would strongly suggest a visit before going because it might give you a shock when you arrive there with removalists. Newcastle people are very proud of their 'city' so they won't tell you how it really is.

Its a pretty safe place and houses are cheap but 'bland' can only express so much.
Old May 24th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Called in with my Aunt who lives in Newcastle on the way to Sydney last year.

Newcastle is a town built on heavy industry - and to some extent still is today. There are some fine building in the city - but there some less picturesque constructions! Parts are really drab although consequently property is affordable.

I may be wrong but I think it has the highest unemployment in Oz/NSW - happy to be corrected but think I'm quoting Lonely Planet!

Like everywhere there are however some very nice parts to Newcastle and good facilities for children. The parts of the town bordering on Lake Macquarie was most appealing.

My advice would be to go for it. The eastern coast feels far less isolated than WA and Bunbury is fairly small. The coast beyond the industrialized parts is really picturesque so finding the right block on the right street is the key.

Bezza
Old May 24th 2010, 11:19 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sea Of Love
I know the Newcastle area pretty well but it would snow in hell before I ever moved there.

Although all of your amenities are covered it is a very ugly and drab place to live. It looks like an old industrial village (because it was I suppose) all the buildings are run down, lots of boarded up shops houses are all old and not in the good way.

I would strongly suggest a visit before going because it might give you a shock when you arrive there with removalists. Newcastle people are very proud of their 'city' so they won't tell you how it really is.

Its a pretty safe place and houses are cheap but 'bland' can only express so much.
I'm sure there are some good parts there and the beaches are very good. Would I move there? Only if I had to, but, thats just because I have been spoilt by the Northern Beaches in Sydney area.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Call me bonkers but I realy like Newcastle. For one it's not Sydney so there's a plus point there. If the right job came up I'd be up there in a second. Then again I used to live in Swansea. There you'd look in one direction and it's the factories, look the other and it's the beach. So Newcastle felt like a posh Swansea to me so kind of a home from home. Plus in my profession the pay would be the same so I'd be much better off. I personally think living in any of the major cities is a bit of a fools game but then again that's where the good jobs are. Horses for courses I suppose.

Last edited by 77hil; May 25th 2010 at 2:35 am.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi

Have a look at this http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se.../NSW/Newcastle it may help. I always thought that Newcastle although a bit down in the dumps was a nice spot, like already has been said its not Sydney which has got to be good for your pocket and sanity when driving. Its also a quick drive up the coast to the Port Stephens area if want to get out of town or you could look at one of the Hunter towns, plenty to choose from.

Bob
Old May 25th 2010, 6:50 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob Tonnor
its not Sydney which has got to be good for your pocket and sanity when driving.
So long as you're not planning on driving to/from Sydney metro every day, obviously!
Old May 25th 2010, 10:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by 77hil
Call me bonkers but I realy like Newcastle. For one it's not Sydney so there's a plus point there. If the right job came up I'd be up there in a second. Then again I used to live in Swansea. There you'd look in one direction and it's the factories, look the other and it's the beach. So Newcastle felt like a posh Swansea to me so kind of a home from home. Plus in my profession the pay would be the same so I'd be much better off. I personally think living in any of the major cities is a bit of a fools game but then again that's where the good jobs are. Horses for courses I suppose.
Swansea, Wales or Swansea, NSW?????
Old May 25th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

I can vouch for Belmont being a nice part of Newcastle - set on the lake and the sea I think.

Swansea was also quite pleasant!

There are a fair few good areas to choose form.

Bezza
Old May 25th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I love Newcastle,but we live outside about 20 mins drive so we just visit so im not sure on living there,driving in there is a few rough areas i have seen but everyone is different on what they want! but as a family i love going there to the beach. Good Luck

Here is a piccy of the beach.
Attached Thumbnails Newcastle, NSW-img_1357.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:15 am
Just Joined

vicky whitton is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh ok we were thinking of maitland or singleton does anyone live there, or have any experiences from there??