Newcastle NSW

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newcastle NSW

OK Folks,

This one is a favour for a friend. He has been offered a job at the University of Newcastle for a 1 year contract, extendible to 5. He is really keen, but I think his OH may need a little more convincing.

Are there any of you who live/have lived in Newcastle that can give a fairly balanced idea of what it's like? You know the sort of stuff - lifestyle, cost of living, things to do etc.

I have never been, so I am no help what so ever here, but I'm sure that some of you out there will have some opinions!

Many thanks in advance,

S
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:23 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Can't add too much as i have only been there once. Though when i go back in less than 3 weeks. I will be up there more often. I have known of at least 4 friends who have lived or still live there. They all loved the place. Beach lifestyle less traffic etc. A place is what you make it. But everyone i have known thats lived there, has loved it. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Jockstar; Sep 23rd 2006 at 9:47 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
OK Folks,

This one is a favour for a friend. He has been offered a job at the University of Newcastle for a 1 year contract, extendible to 5. He is really keen, but I think his OH may need a little more convincing.

Are there any of you who live/have lived in Newcastle that can give a fairly balanced idea of what it's like? You know the sort of stuff - lifestyle, cost of living, things to do etc.

I have never been, so I am no help what so ever here, but I'm sure that some of you out there will have some opinions!

Many thanks in advance,

S
Spent quite a few years there as a teenager. Have to say it is either a place you love or hate. For me it is the latter and even a visit back to see relos fills me with dread.

Hard to explain why other than I am a City person and I always found it too small for my liking. I always got the impression there that people didn't have too much ambition (OK I am ready to be shot down in flames!) and couldn't care less whether they ever left the place. It also has a bit of an industrial background ie BHP so it was always seen as a dirty place. Mind you this has changed a bit. The beaches are fantastic if you are into that sort of thing (I am not!), proximity to vineyards and Sydney great. Jobwise not that good - tho depending on what you do.

Horses for courses and all that but if I had to go back there to live I would rather shoot myself........

HTH
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:48 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Spent quite a few years there as a teenager. Have to say it is either a place you love or hate. For me it is the latter and even a visit back to see relos fills me with dread.

Hard to explain why other than I am a City person and I always found it too small for my liking. I always got the impression there that people didn't have too much ambition (OK I am ready to be shot down in flames!) and couldn't care less whether they ever left the place. It also has a bit of an industrial background ie BHP so it was always seen as a dirty place. Mind you this has changed a bit. The beaches are fantastic if you are into that sort of thing (I am not!), proximity to vineyards and Sydney great. Jobwise not that good - tho depending on what you do.

Horses for courses and all that but if I had to go back there to live I would rather shoot myself........

HTH

So what are you saying?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about

I was brought up in Newcastle. In those days it was a pretty boring place and I escaped as soon as I could but things have changed a lot since then. Now the steel works have gone the University is the biggest employer in Newcastle. It has become a lot more cosmopolitan and there are a lot more things happening there. They had redone around the Newcastle beach and docks area with restaurants and bars but the last time I was there it seems like most of the action happens in the suburbs. I was brought up near the beach in Merewether which is now a pretty trendy place to live I believe. Prices too for houses in this part of Newcastle are not much cheaper than in some parts of Sydney but in saying that Newcastle now is a place where you have all the facilities of a big city like Sydney but with less hassle. Cost of living is not much cheaper than Sydney although you probably can get slightly more for your dollar in Newcastle than in Sydney. There is a draw back in that Novocastrians are still often not up to parr with the big smoke for things like service in restaurants etc but I don't think that should stop you moving there. You get more of the small town feel such as you probably get to know your neighbours more in Newcastle. Where I used to live (The Junction) you'd know a lot of the people when you went to do the shopping. I think Newcastle is not a bad place particulary if you have children. Be careful with the area you move to though. Although the uni is near Jesmond, I wouldn't live in that part of town. If you want something a bit more interesting try an area near the beach such as Bar Beach, Merewether, Cooks Hill - but I suppose I am biased because I know these areas well. Newcastle Uni would be a good job but I don't know what the prospects would be for their OH. If they are in health care then there are a lot of good hospitals and job opportunities otherwise the job market could be quite limited. I wish your friend Good Luck with their decision.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:23 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

There was actually a thread about Newcastle a few weeks back - heres the link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395465

HTH