Newcastle NSW

Old Mar 17th 2006, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcastle NSW

The company that have offered me a job in Oz have asked to go to Newcastle, anybody have and experiences: Good or BAD
Old Mar 17th 2006, 6:37 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle NSW

Originally Posted by bobstevens
The company that have offered me a job in Oz have asked to go to Newcastle, anybody have and experiences: Good or BAD
my brother lives at anna bay/port stephens (40 mins north of newcastle). he works there. industrial town, but the surrounding area is georgeous. lucky you, i say!!
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:21 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

The town's improving all the time. I was there in Sept last yr and impressed with what they'd done. Stunning outside the town too.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:27 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Never been there, but i do have a friend that lives there and owns a company, like it was said before it is an industrial city, but improving, i keep hearing mixed views about the place from friends.

All the best.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It's a big lively town.

Busiest coal exporting port in the world so quite industrial.

Biggest town in the Hunter valley.

Not particularly cheap housewise.

scene of Australia's worst earthquake involving loss of human life. 12 people killed by a 'quake in the 1980's.

lots of nice beaches (and good surf).

G
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:00 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's a big lively town.

Busiest coal exporting port in the world so quite industrial.

Biggest town in the Hunter valley.

Not particularly cheap housewise.

scene of Australia's worst earthquake involving loss of human life. 12 people killed by a 'quake in the 1980's.

lots of nice beaches (and good surf).

G
Is Newcastle in the Hunter Valley? I thought it was up near the coast near QSLD? Is that like the top of the Hunter Valley?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Is Newcastle in the Hunter Valley? I thought it was up near the coast near QSLD? Is that like the top of the Hunter Valley?
It is at the east end of the Hunter valley...about 180 Km from Sydney.

G
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:09 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is at the east end of the Hunter valley...about 180 Km from Sydney.

G
Ah OK Cheers for that. I have also heard its okay.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Coincidently it is very similar to its namesake in the UK. The are a lot of similarities between Newcastle NSW and Newcastle in Tyne And Wear.
They have both been huge coal exporters in their history. Newcastle (UK) was the worlds biggest coal exporter back in the early part of last century and now the one in Oz is the biggest.
Both traditionally Industrial cities. There are loads of surrounding towns with the same name ie, Wallsend and Hexham.
Both have had a lot of redevelopment in recent years.
Both have a football captain called Alan Shearer (Well thats a lie!!)
Quite a few connections between the two
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Good or BAD
Good experience
I used to live down there.

Most people think of Newcastle as just an industrial city if they've never been there - Newcastle has some very beautiful beaches , Stockton beach is beautiful ,it runs all the way up from Newcastle to Nelson bay and doesn't get very crowded.
Newcastle is like a hidden gem - Many immigrants tend to head for the major cities like Sydney, Brisbane etc.
I think a lot of people just think "industrial" when they think of Newcastle , when it is not all like that - very far from it.

It used to be pretty cheap down there, but houses have shot up with the boom like anywhere else . I was very tempted to buy a house I saw there which backed right onto lake Macquarie ( Swansea side) - it was just $145! , but we were brought to Aus to open up a company in Brisbane ( our Head office is in Newcastle - hence why we lived in Newcastle for just over a year before coming here to Brisbane) .
The house was sh*te mind you ( old little fibro beach house ,which I would have knocked down to build on) , but the land was perfect, the back garden was backing right onto the water - I'd hate to know the cost of that land now, there are probably luxury flats on it now .Another one I nosed at - Brick four bed two streets away from the beach - $165 . It was cheap as chips for what you got , Those were the days before the boom. I Wish I bought some investment property down there now.

Anyway, people down that way I found to be very down to earth , friendly, beaches and countryside in the Newcastle areas and surrounding Newcastle is stunning - If I was staying in Aus forever and had a choice between Brisbane, and Newcastle - I'd be back down to Newcastle like a shot. (I can't stand Brisbane - I find most of it so ugly , very toy town ugly and lacking in real beaches unlike Newcastle . I find it's lacking in oomph lol)

I haven't really got that many bad words to say about Newcastle. I liked it, and would live there over Brisbane anyday

P.s And if you're into fishing you're going to the right place.

Good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 20th 2006 at 1:35 am.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

smidgemum2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just had a lovely weekend out of Sydney, staying in a little cottage that backed directly onto Lake Macquarie. Absolutely beautiful and tranquil. Saw loads of bird life and a big octopus in the shallows of the lake which the kids thought was great! Spent time messing around in a canoe, kayaking and having a go at fishing. We didn't actually make it up to Newcastle which would have been about 30 mins drive from where we were staying, but we did go into the Hunter Valley and into some wineries! Again, beautiful scenery - in some ways reminded me of the UK - very green! Although we were only there a couple of days, we thought it was great and plan to go up that way again for longer.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ceri
...... Newcastle is like a hidden gem ...

Shhhhhhhh..... that's how we Novacastrians like to keep it - hidden!! ha ha
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Macquarie
Shhhhhhhh..... that's how we Novacastrians like to keep it - hidden!! ha ha
Me and my husband worked in Newcastle for 3 years. Love it there. Quite a good night out to be had as well. It is beautiful, surrounded by water and pretty trendy in the centre.