Newcastle, NSW

Old Jun 10th 2003, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

annie b is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newcastle, NSW

HI,

We have just got our visa application ok'd!!!

Planning to live in Newcastle, NSW. Got lots of questions!!!!

Does anyone know the area at all?? Maybe have an idea of the good/bad suburbs???

We are also having a hard time finding a cheap rental for a couple of weeks??

Plus, what happens to our old age pension??

Thanks a million....

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Jun 10th 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

my mate lives in n.c and his wife is from there

ask and i'll pass it on..

cheers

richard
Old Jun 10th 2003, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

annie b is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!!
Old Jun 10th 2003, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

lau and mart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newcastle, NSW

Hi, haven't been to Newcastle for a long time but for what it's worth I lived just outside NC in a place called eleebana. It was a great place, lake on one side of the hills to sail, winsurf, fish and loads of great, quiet beaches the other side to surf nearby. There were loads of shops and facilities and it was an easy commute into Newcastle. House prices still seem reasonable round there and it seems some new developments are progressing locally if you want to build ur own? There was a good mix of nationalities and a good atmosphere for young and old (no brit only communities - heaven forbid - when I was there at least).

good Luck

Mart

Old Jun 11th 2003, 4:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Newcastle, NSW

Originally posted by annie b
HI,

We have just got our visa application ok'd!!!

Planning to live in Newcastle, NSW. Got lots of questions!!!!

Does anyone know the area at all?? Maybe have an idea of the good/bad suburbs???

We are also having a hard time finding a cheap rental for a couple of weeks??

Plus, what happens to our old age pension??

Thanks a million....

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:

I used to live in the Newcastle area before moving to Brisbane (just over a year we lived there), the areas which I liked were Swansea,Belmont, Caves beach and the Wangi area to name but a few.
When we were there we first stayed in a motel for a couple of weeks (don't know how much it was - my then company paid for it) then rented a house which had a three month lease (a for sale home).

There were also a few homes in the Swansea area and such which backed onto lake Macquarie that were Holiday rentals - peoples holiday/second home, which they rent out Short leases') during the months that they are not there - one which we looked at was $145 a week to rent. Now this has probably gone up big time now in price (this was 5 years ago) . A good idea maybe is to email Ray white, LJ hooker etc and the other estate agents in that area, or just find Ray whites etc main web site email them - ask them for the contact details of the local offices in the Newcastle area, then ask if they have any short lease or holiday rentals in your desired area, or ask them to call you back when they have a suitable property for you.

I enjoyed Newcastle very much, I found that the people were a much different kettle of fish down there - down to earth, plenty of beautiful places. If I had a choice I would have stayed there instead of Brisbane - which wasn't possible because initially we came to Aus to set up a new branch of our company In Brisbane.

cheers

P.s just put Swansea into the realestate site:http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&t=ren&snf=rbs

$55 p.w.
SWANSEA
one bedroom garage/flat in quiet location. Walk to shops and transport, off street parking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$250 p.w.
14B BEACH ST SWANSEA
Immaculate brick and tile three bedroom home with built-ins, separate lounge and dining room, 3 toilets, 2 bathrooms, ensuite, ceiling fans, single garage and lock up carport.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Caves Beach Home
$155 p.w.
2 bedroom House
Small but very clean 2-3 bedroom home, fenced yard,off street parking, walk to beach,shops and transport.

------------------------

Absolute Waterfront!!
$280 p.w.
3 bedroom Unit
Immaculate 3 Bedroom, 2 storey waterfront unit, south facing verandahs over Lake Macquarie. Spacious L-shaped living capturing breathtaking views, spacious kitchen/dining, carport