Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newcastle, NSW – Schools, areas?

Newcastle, NSW – Schools, areas?

Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

SheilaClare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcastle, NSW – Schools, areas?

Hi, Can anyone give me any info on Newcastle, mainly schools and areas. We were there April 07 for a look but it's still hard to know. Areas we've narrowed it down to are: Merewether, Hamilton, Adamstown, New Lambton, Kahibah and Dudley. Although I think schools maybe the deciding factor as to area, as I understand schools (except private) are done on catchment area. We are arriving late December in the hope of getting sorted for the start of the new term end of January, have a girl starting year 7 and a boy starting year 5. Again I understand private schools are more widely used in Australia than the UK, but until we know what jobs we get, don't know if that's an option (their not in private here and hadn't thought of it as an option until research on the web mainly came up with private schools when advising on good ones). Anyway hopefully that makes sense it's my first thread. Ta
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:24 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice
Default Re: Newcastle, NSW – Schools, areas?

Originally Posted by SheilaClare
Hi, Can anyone give me any info on Newcastle, mainly schools and areas. We were there April 07 for a look but it's still hard to know. Areas we've narrowed it down to are: Merewether, Hamilton, Adamstown, New Lambton, Kahibah and Dudley. Although I think schools maybe the deciding factor as to area, as I understand schools (except private) are done on catchment area. We are arriving late December in the hope of getting sorted for the start of the new term end of January, have a girl starting year 7 and a boy starting year 5. Again I understand private schools are more widely used in Australia than the UK, but until we know what jobs we get, don't know if that's an option (their not in private here and hadn't thought of it as an option until research on the web mainly came up with private schools when advising on good ones). Anyway hopefully that makes sense it's my first thread. Ta
Can't help a lot, but I think they are all good areas (but quite different). I would check the catchment areas of the Kahibah and Dudley schools, some nearby suburbs are of variable quality. If you include Dudley you might look at Redhead too? If you extend your search to Lake Macquarie Valentine and Coal Point have good schools I believe.

You should know that finding a rental can be difficult in Newcastle, so start early and arrive before Christmas if you can. January is the worst time to come I think, with a lot of people getting set before uni and school starts up.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by k76
Can't help a lot, but I think they are all good areas (but quite different). I would check the catchment areas of the Kahibah and Dudley schools, some nearby suburbs are of variable quality. If you include Dudley you might look at Redhead too? If you extend your search to Lake Macquarie Valentine and Coal Point have good schools I believe.

You should know that finding a rental can be difficult in Newcastle, so start early and arrive before Christmas if you can. January is the worst time to come I think, with a lot of people getting set before uni and school starts up.
Thanks for help, we ruled out Lake Macquarie and that direction as Hubby would probably be heading north out of Newcastle for work. No way of coming any earlier due to work contracts here and been waiting long enough to get here so don't want to delay, won't be homeless as brother lives in Sydney but the sooner we get sorted with home and school the better.

The more I research the more I think it's unlikely we'll be able to arrive late December and have everything sorted for kids starting school late January.

Regarding areas, whats best for family life? sorry bit of a general question
Ta She
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:49 pm
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we are near newcastle, in lake macquarie, love all the areas you have mentioned, all close to beautiful beaches. hamilton and merewether are pretty expensive areas, although i have heard the public schools there are all very good. the high school in merewether is meant to be exceptionally good, as are the private schools, which arent as expensive as english private schools, usually around $5-6000 per annum. there are plenty of private schools about, and people think nothing of there kids going out of there area for a good one, however if your not taking them yourself it usually means a couple of buses in the morning and afternoon, and a very early start!! my kids go to the local public school and i have no complaints so far, they both love it and educationally wise i cant fault them.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hi..i am a novocastrian. you have chosen excellent areas to settle in. and they have excellent school systems in those areas aswell.

as to lifestyle..it depends on how close you want to be to the beach!..merewether is know to be THE suburb ...however..Kahibah and Dudley have very good reputations too. New Lambton is also a great suburb..very central. It has a lot of old growth charm about it.

as mentioned Merewether High School is fantastic..and near to new Lambton you have broadmeadow High..which is a performing art school. depends on what focus your kids have.

good luck....and lucky you!..arriving late december..the beaches will be beautiful!..and a lovely hot chrissy aswell...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

We have been here for a year and we really like Newcastle. We live in New Lambton Heights which is a lovely leafy suburb a bit further out than the ones that you mention. We have a great house backing into a dense rainforest reserve which we wouldn't be able to afford in one of the swankier suburbs like the Merewether/Bar Beach/The Hill. We are still only 20 mins from the beach so it isn't exactly rural.

Our 5 year old attends New Lambton Heights Infants school which is absolutely delightful. She loves it and we've made some friends through the parents. We looked at Newcastle Grammar as that is widely thought of as the best school in the area. Its quite academic and we just found it to be a little too serious for us. Just a personal thing and many people love it.

The $6k payment for nonresidents is somewhat discretionary and depends on the school and the headmaster. We don't pay it and others we know don't.

I'd be pleased to answer any questions
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for your advice, it's nice to hear we should be fine with any of the areas we've picked out with regards schools and living. I think we'll be like yourselves ‘Ruskee’ something small nearer the beach or bigger further out, although we had a look around New Lambton when we were over, never went as far as New Lambton Heights (except for Hospital when lad fell out of tree camping) but sounds lovely especially backing onto rainforest. We do a lot of traveling in the UK with regards work/kids clubs etc so we were trying to avoid this in Australia, hence the choice of Newcastle. Thanks ‘Maple Leaf‘ for your bit on Broadmeadow High being a performing art school, we don't get the choice where we live in the UK and I know my daughter would love a school like this (not sure about the son though). Thanks again She
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SheilaClare
Thanks to everyone for your advice, it's nice to hear we should be fine with any of the areas we've picked out with regards schools and living. I think we'll be like yourselves ‘Ruskee’ something small nearer the beach or bigger further out, although we had a look around New Lambton when we were over, never went as far as New Lambton Heights (except for Hospital when lad fell out of tree camping) but sounds lovely especially backing onto rainforest. We do a lot of traveling in the UK with regards work/kids clubs etc so we were trying to avoid this in Australia, hence the choice of Newcastle. Thanks ‘Maple Leaf‘ for your bit on Broadmeadow High being a performing art school, we don't get the choice where we live in the UK and I know my daughter would love a school like this (not sure about the son though). Thanks again She
PS>

ruskie is correct in what she writes about new lambton heights.

there is also some fantastic views to be had from there..and it is just a hop skip and a jump to that performing arts school!

and New Lambton heights infants school has always had a great reputation...

uuurghhhh you are making me homesick!!!..hehee...

also....Newie ( newcastle)..has had a huge change happen..it used to have a bit of a rep as a steel city...but now the air is much much cleaner..and the beaches are aswell..tho mind you there was never much problem with the beaches...i learned to swim in the Canoe Pool at newcastle beach..with my grandfather.

and dawn! this was a familiar sight for me...

sounds like it could be for you and your family aswell..
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

sasiandliv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and sorry to highjack your thread sheila claire, your predicament seems similar to ours although we haven't started the whole visa process (likely dh company will jump at chance to transfer him and need to gets facts in order incase all goes too fast for steady headed me!)

When you guys say merewhether is expensive (sounds like the place we live now however we are in wales not new south wales!) so does that mean London prices, Surrey prices or just tidy part of regional town prices

Thanks and sorry again for crashing in.

Sara

ps hope you're closer to your decision, we've got a 4yr old and will be going through a similar dilema.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

I'm going to be living and working in Newcastle from September but I'm a 21yr old loner and don't have a clue where my rental is yet!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

jane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to all

Hi. SCARED SINGLE MUM entering into your thread to get info about Newcastle. It is so hard to figure the best place to live, work and find good public schooling. Am a nurse so need to find a good hospital too. Certainly wont be able to afford private school. Am applying for permanent residency so I wont have to pay for school.
Sydney its self seems so much more expensive, but lots more jobs.
HELP!!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

sasiandliv is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have now discovered that Avoca and Terrigal are more in our price rane. Scared Single Mum and Loner - will watc out for your threads on our similar journeys. dh asked me if I was really serioud this time, given that I just spent 4hrs tonight alone on the interweb and several tousand dollars on rubish magazines, the plane is almost booked for our reccie in feb 09!