Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newcastle, Gosford, NSW!

Newcastle, Gosford, NSW!

Old Dec 10th 2004, 8:37 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newcastle, Gosford, NSW!

Having decided on living in just about every town/ city in Oz, we're now thinking about NSW, north of Sydney.

Anyone know Gosford or Newcastle? What do you think of them and what are the job opportunities like?

Paul.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 8:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle, Gosford, NSW!

Originally Posted by diddy
Having decided on living in just about every town/ city in Oz, we're now thinking about NSW, north of Sydney.

Anyone know Gosford or Newcastle? What do you think of them and what are the job opportunities like?

Paul.
Paul

I just typed quite a long reply and then lost the £$%&ing thing.

It is the area we are moving to soon and I was there a few weeks ago.

I will post another reply in the next day or two as I am too knackered now to do it again.
I am sure others will reply.

G
Old Dec 10th 2004, 9:01 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Paul

I will post another reply in the next day or two as I am too knackered now to do it again.

G
Cheers Grayling in advance.

Paul.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:25 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Paul

G
Hello Grayling

I would also be interested in your reply as we intend to settle on the Central Coast - maybe Kincumber/Avoca/Terrigal or on the other side of Brisbane Water - Ettalong/Umina - at the end of January next year (our son lives in the Northern Suburbs but we are not prepared to pay their prices!).

Regards

Jim
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:31 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Paul

G
Waiting with baited breath - we are aiming for Woy Woy / Umina / Ettalong area and have chosen this on the basis of a one day visit so detail and home truths would be good......

Don't rush to reply on our behalf - still need a visa and need a buyer for the house. Hoping to be out there in May some time.

Binbird
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Paul

G
Hi all
Hope I did not raise too many expectations

I do not live there yet but have visited on several occasions.

Newcastle is a much bigger town than Gosford and is the main City in the Hunter valley area.It is the 7th largest town/city in Australia (I think) and it the world's biggest coal exporting port.

It was also the scene of Australia's worst earthquake when 12 people were killed in 1989.
Newcastle is really a cityin it's own right and has a thriving art and music scene.
It is to the North of Lake Macquarie and the area around the lake (4 times the size of Sydney harbour) is quite populated with several small towns such as Swansea, Toronto, Belmont etc. These are mainly suburbs of Newcastle in practical terms. Maitland is another large town inland from Newcastle and there is also Cessnock and other smaller towns inland which are mainly Wine oriented.

Gosford is on the North of Brisbane water and is much smaller than Newcastle. Other towns in the area include Woy Woy,Ettalong and Terrigal.
These towns are commutable to Sydney at a push and as such Property in the area is not particularly cheap. Nor is it near Newcastle. There is a direct coastal rail line to Sydney.
There are also a lot of weekend/holiday homes in the area which also keep prices high.
We thought that we would need to pay around $500.000 for a decent house and these would cost much more if near the water.Others may have a different view and, as everywhere, there are cheaper and more expensive areas.On average though I would think it is more expensive than other areas but cheaper than Sydney. Again this is not really a major concern for me.

The lakes, Macquarie, Brisbane water and Tuggerah are huge and good bases for water sports and there are some very good beaches both on these and on the shoreline.

The whole area can experience very heavy traffic at times and this should be noted especially if you plan to commute any distance. It can get very bad around the Entrance and Terrigal so although these places look close to Sydney commuting may be a pain. I am sure someone living there could give an opinion on this as these are purely my personal observations.

When you talk about the Newcastle/Gosford area you are really talking about a huge area although travel is made much easier if you use the Pacific highway.

As far as work is concerned then Newcastle is a major town but I suppose it depends on your line of work.
It is not a problem for me as I only intend to work part time or casually as a nurse. I have already retired in the UK so it is not a real concern of mine.

I believe Ceri lived in Newcastle at one stage and I am sure there are other people with more knowledge than me.

One important point for me is that it is one of the better areas in Australia for fishing which will suit me fine

Hope this helps

G

Disclaimer These are personal opinions not a challenge to anyone who lives there or elsewhere.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 3:34 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi all
Hope I did not raise too many expectations

I do not live there yet but have visited on several occasions.

Newcastle is a much bigger town than Gosford and is the main City in the Hunter valley area.It is the 7th largest town/city in Australia (I think) and it the world's biggest coal exporting port.

It was also the scene of Australia's worst earthquake when 12 people were killed in 1989.
Newcastle is really a cityin it's own right and has a thriving art and music scene.
It is to the North of Lake Macquarie and the area around the lake (4 times the size of Sydney harbour) is quite populated with several small towns such as Swansea, Toronto, Belmont etc. These are mainly suburbs of Newcastle in practical terms. Maitland is another large town inland from Newcastle and there is also Cessnock and other smaller towns inland which are mainly Wine oriented.

Gosford is on the North of Brisbane water and is much smaller than Newcastle. Other towns in the area include Woy Woy,Ettalong and Terrigal.
These towns are commutable to Sydney at a push and as such Property in the area is not particularly cheap. Nor is it near Newcastle. There is a direct coastal rail line to Sydney.
There are also a lot of weekend/holiday homes in the area which also keep prices high.
We thought that we would need to pay around $500.000 for a decent house and these would cost much more if near the water.Others may have a different view and, as everywhere, there are cheaper and more expensive areas.On average though I would think it is more expensive than other areas but cheaper than Sydney. Again this is not really a major concern for me.

The lakes, Macquarie, Brisbane water and Tuggerah are huge and good bases for water sports and there are some very good beaches both on these and on the shoreline.

The whole area can experience very heavy traffic at times and this should be noted especially if you plan to commute any distance. It can get very bad around the Entrance and Terrigal so although these places look close to Sydney commuting may be a pain. I am sure someone living there could give an opinion on this as these are purely my personal observations.

When you talk about the Newcastle/Gosford area you are really talking about a huge area although travel is made much easier if you use the Pacific highway.

As far as work is concerned then Newcastle is a major town but I suppose it depends on your line of work.
It is not a problem for me as I only intend to work part time or casually as a nurse. I have already retired in the UK so it is not a real concern of mine.

I believe Ceri lived in Newcastle at one stage and I am sure there are other people with more knowledge than me.

One important point for me is that it is one of the better areas in Australia for fishing which will suit me fine

Hope this helps

G

Disclaimer These are personal opinions not a challenge to anyone who lives there or elsewhere.
Grayling

Thanks for your time and effort.

Regards

Jim
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hello Grayling

I would also be interested in your reply as we intend to settle on the Central Coast - maybe Kincumber/Avoca/Terrigal or on the other side of Brisbane Water - Ettalong/Umina - at the end of January next year (our son lives in the Northern Suburbs but we are not prepared to pay their prices!).

Regards

Jim
Hi Jim,
Two of my sons live on the Central Coast. They were brought up in the Hills District of Sydney but when they got married opted for the Central Coast because the real estate was cheaper. One settled in Umina. His home is on the hill behind the town but is still only 5 minutes from the beach, which is on Brisbane Water and very good for kids. Virtuallly no surf. He has his own motor mechanics business in Woy Woy. The other who is a surf nut, and a chippy, opted for Bateau Bay/ Long Jetty area. All beaches close and lots of surf!!! Neither would consider coming back to Sydney to live. Must say that I'm glad because I love going up there to spend time with free accomodation!!!
Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:31 am
Merlot

Paul.
Hello Paul

This is the first time I have been back on this Forum since around April 2004, as you can see now back in the UK and things going well.

Lived at Point Clare then Kariong before we moved back. I worked for Gosford Chamber of Commerce (www.gosfordchamber.com.au) before I left and have to say that what I advise now would have no doubt changed. I saw some BIG changes from April 2001 until I left.

Work - was very difficult to get work unless you are happy for low paid or maybe process work. If you want a career commuting to Sydney was the only way, generally not much to choose from up on the Coast. This is very, very painful if you don't like losing 4 hours of your life in traffic or on the train. I was lucky but had to take a big cut.

Salary - usually AUS$15,000-20,000 less than Sydney per annum. The houses used to be cheaper to rent or by than Sydney but I saw prices race before I left.

Quality of life, I think wonderful but as the influx of people moving into the area, the roads always seemed to be blocked or grid locked - especially after a big rain storm.

It get very busy over the school holiday period oh course as the beaches are a big pull.

Hubby and I found it a little lacking in things to do if you didn't want the beach life and you had to go to Sydney but this seems to getting better with Erina Fair Shopping Complex expansion. At least you could get a coffee after 8 pm.

Public transport is terrible, so without a car or living right on a bus route you could struggle.

The people were lovely, a lot more friendly and I made lots of friends whilst there.

Apart from that I can't think of much else but wish you well. If you move there happy to recommend suppliers from mechanics to Doctors!

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:34 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hello Paul

This is the first time I have been back on this Forum since around April 2004, as you can see now back in the UK and things going well.

Lived at Point Clare then Kariong before we moved back. I worked for Gosford Chamber of Commerce (www.gosfordchamber.com.au) before I left and have to say that what I advise now would have no doubt changed. I saw some BIG changes from April 2001 until I left.

Work - was very difficult to get work unless you are happy for low paid or maybe process work. If you want a career commuting to Sydney was the only way, generally not much to choose from up on the Coast. This is very, very painful if you don't like losing 4 hours of your life in traffic or on the train. I was lucky but had to take a big cut.

Salary - usually AUS$15,000-20,000 less than Sydney per annum. The houses used to be cheaper to rent or by than Sydney but I saw prices race before I left.

Quality of life, I think wonderful but as the influx of people moving into the area, the roads always seemed to be blocked or grid locked - especially after a big rain storm.

It get very busy over the school holiday period oh course as the beaches are a big pull.

Hubby and I found it a little lacking in things to do if you didn't want the beach life and you had to go to Sydney but this seems to getting better with Erina Fair Shopping Complex expansion. At least you could get a coffee after 8 pm.

Public transport is terrible, so without a car or living right on a bus route you could struggle.

The people were lovely, a lot more friendly and I made lots of friends whilst there.

Apart from that I can't think of much else but wish you well. If you move there happy to recommend suppliers from mechanics to Doctors!

Best of luck
Merlot
Merlot

........... now there's a good name - especially as it's Sunday lunchtime.

Have picked up your post in reply to Paul and will bear your offer in mind re car mechanics and doctors etc after we move to the area early next year.

Regards

Jim
Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:41 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Hi Jim,
Two of my sons live on the Central Coast. They were brought up in the Hills District of Sydney but when they got married opted for the Central Coast because the real estate was cheaper. One settled in Umina. His home is on the hill behind the town but is still only 5 minutes from the beach, which is on Brisbane Water and very good for kids. Virtuallly no surf. He has his own motor mechanics business in Woy Woy. The other who is a surf nut, and a chippy, opted for Bateau Bay/ Long Jetty area. All beaches close and lots of surf!!! Neither would consider coming back to Sydney to live. Must say that I'm glad because I love going up there to spend time with free accomodation!!!
Hello

Many thanks for that.

We are, as yet, undecided on which particular part of the area we would like to settle in. It will be a case of staying with one of our son's friends initially (in Saratoga) whilst we get a good look round and find something to rent. We don't intend buying until the property/the price/the exchange rate is right - which way round these 3 things will need to be is anyone's guess at the moment!!

We do not have children to worry about (other than our grandchildren in Manly Vale) so that eases the equation.

Once again - thanks for your response - and we will keep your info in mind.

Regards

Jim
Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:44 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks Grayling and Merlot. Useful stuff.

Merlot, going by what you've said re career, I take it these are not good places for an Accountant to work (non-practice).

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:13 am
Badge

Thanks Grayling and Merlot. Useful stuff.

Merlot, going by what you've said re career, I take it these are not good places for an Accountant to work (non-practice).

Thanks,

Paul.
Not necessarily. There is always something.. My family come from Gosford area, and have a business.
It is very expensive now - warning. But would have been great inthe late 90s.
Still better I reckon than living on North shore in some ways.

BM

Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:19 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps

G

Good info - thanks for sharing.

Binbird