Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newcastle in Australia

Newcastle in Australia

Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:19 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Newcastle in Australia

Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Anyway, going straight to the point due to recent developments (wasn’t expecting) I have an opportunity work related to go to Australia, Newcastle to be more precise, so I was wondering if we have here any members that live or lived in Newcastle that could share their views/opinions/comments and advice regarding the area.

Very much appreciated.

Regards
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:38 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newcastle in Australia

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Anyway, going straight to the point due to recent developments (wasn’t expecting) I have an opportunity work related to go to Australia, Newcastle to be more precise, so I was wondering if we have here any members that live or lived in Newcastle that could share their views/opinions/comments and advice regarding the area.

Very much appreciated.

Regards

hey babe nevr been there but hey u go for it......its what u want innit
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:44 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Very much appreciated.

Regards
I work with a girl from Newcastle, Aus. Will ask her and see what she says about it and then let you know.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:46 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

this link may help it also mentions other posts on the area and some posters who are there
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hi,

We've not been to Newcastle, but a really good friend lives there (she's Aussie) and the photo's we've seen look lovely. WE are going to visit her next March. However, she sent me this link to help us look at the area. Hope it helps you.

http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Very much appreciated.

Regards
Never been there but watched a programe on it some time ago...looked ok lots of great beaches also mate wife is from Oz and she said it was ok..industrial area but not in the sence we would no it
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Very much appreciated.

Regards
Hi

Have sent you a PM

Nikki
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:13 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Very much appreciated.

Regards

I spent a drunken night there 10 years and wasn't that impressed, seemed a bit industrial, like the proper Newcastle and the beer wasn't as good, weather was slightly better though.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:30 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Just cheak if the house is earthquake proof and yes its quite industrial .
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:34 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Newcastle in Australia

hi
my brother lives in anna bay, north of newcastle, he works there, yes it is industrial, but my brother and his family love where they live. my parents have been out a few times, and they say it is fabulous!! so, if the wrinklies like it, go for it!! it's where we are heading (hopefully)

michelle
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:51 pm
wombat42

Did'nt a big earthquake hit the town around 15 years ago, a few people killed.
:scared:

Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch Billy Connolly Around the world Australia,
Newcastle is on that it looks lovely
I wouldn't mind living there
Lace
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Long time no "see"

Very much appreciated.

Regards
Lots of Sydney siders would move there for cheap accomodation if they could get jobs. The surrounding areas are beautiful. I was there on business the other day. I'd be more worried about mine subsidence than little earthquakes. Not sure about night life though and the food was a bit Anglo.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:42 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Ooh. Good thread.

I've been lurking for a few weeks, but will be moving to Newcastle around 1st June so thought i'd post.

Gav's flight is booked for 1st May as he has to start work ASAP (in Kurri Kurri), and i'm waiting until the house sale is signed off, so looking to be a month behind.

I'm really looking forward to it.
We've a mate who's already out there, but he won't tell us too much about it (that's just his way) but fig tree lined streets sound good. Plus it's apparently rather good for pub-rock! Sounds perfect already, and i've not even mentioned the beaches...

I'll just go and try that link now (from the earlier post).
Lel
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:01 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

An Aussie friend of mine and her husband come from Newcastle and moved back there from Sydney after they got married. Have been up there a couple of times recently and it's a lovely area.

Just up the road you have all the Hunter Valley wineries, it's only about 2 hours from Sydney although the freeway ends at the Northern suburbs so heading into Sydney CBD can be a frustrating London type traffic experience.

The beaches up near Newcastle are gorgeous, you are right by Lake Macquarie, it's only a short drive south to some gorgeous scenery around Terrigal.

Newcastle itself does have a very industrial history but it is changing. The town centre isn't huge but plenty there, they are currently developing the docks along the waterfront in the city and there are all sorts of decent bars and restaurants springing up along there. One or two of the town centre pubs/bars can get a little bit rough but nothing like the UK.

The transport links are very good, freeway to Sydney, fast train line to Sydeny and both Jetstar and Virgin Blue are flying in/out of Newcastle airport now so you can get a flight pretty much anywhere in Aus.

The pace of life is a lot slower and quieter than any of the big cities but it is a nice place to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.