Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The newbies at school. Day two!

The newbies at school. Day two!

Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by debsy
Oh dear Tina - poor little thing. I bet it made you really sad. My daughter who is also seven says that a lot and it makes me really upset.

I was a bit shocked as up until today all the kids have been eager to get out there. I suppose she knows with only 2 days left at school that it really will be no more contact with her friends. I just hope my 13 yr old doesn't start as well, this week could be a tricky one.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:14 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

must be great just to see the kids happy in there new school

all the best & happy christmas

kev
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its great that your kids have settled so quickly and must be a huge releif for you.
Its also reassuring for the rest of us with children, its such a worry when you're moving them from a school where they are happy and settled.

Well done and merry christmas.

Michaela
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

lol at the shorts.

At school in WA, we wore something called 'bloomers' over our undies (knickers?) and under our skirts.
They were these big black things, but were tight/stretch things. So better than shorts, and they just covered your undies.
But warm and sweaty I guess.

Glad to hear all went well at school!

Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
I was a bit shocked as up until today all the kids have been eager to get out there. I suppose she knows with only 2 days left at school that it really will be no more contact with her friends. I just hope my 13 yr old doesn't start as well, this week could be a tricky one.

don't worry Tina

Our children are 11 and 14 and have slipped into school life so easily we can't believe it. They were sad to leave their UK friends but were pretty stoic about it (which is more than can be said for me!) The only thing we have found is now they are on a long summer holiday (having already had 6 weeks summer hols in the UK!) they are kicking their heels a bit because they didn't really get to know their new school friends well enough before breaking up to see them during the holidays. We are sure that this is just an unfortunate side to the timing of our arrival though. Hannah (14 yrs) asked the other day whether we would be returning to the UK and I said probably not in the forseeable future replied with " thank goodness, I love it here"
What more can you say?

Claire

Last edited by Foggies; Dec 17th 2003 at 11:46 am.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The newbies at school. Day two!

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It's the same up here in Brisbane, but at my daughters new school the girls wear collots (I'm not sure if I spelt that right!) They look like a skirt, but are actually shorts.
We also knew them as culottes in the UK. My daughter wears them for school here but they call them "skorts", skirt & shorts combined I suppose.

My eldest had her graduation ceremony today. Having already left year 4 in the UK and gone up to middle school, she has had to go through the whole procedure again, only this time she leaves in year 7 to go up to high school. In England we had a lovely "leaver's assembly" and it meant something because my daughter had been at the school since pre-primary, so there were a few tearful mums sitting with me then. Today, the graduation assembly was so long and drawn out, very formal, very American, and as she's been at the school for only a year, it was really no big deal for us.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 4:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Both our kids cryed on there last day of scool in the UK but i think it is only natural, venturing into the unknown and all of that. Anyway week one is over and apart from the heat (38) wednesday nearly killing them, they have survived. The swimming gala went well and they both got ribbons. Leah got given prezzies by a couple of friends today and she was very touched. Parents have been coming up and giving me their phone numbers so me and the kids can go round in the holidays, so all is very well in that department, all in all a great start
Old Dec 19th 2003, 5:03 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default hi

Originally posted by h garrett
Both our kids cryed on there last day of scool in the UK but i think it is only natural, venturing into the unknown and all of that. Anyway week one is over and apart from the heat (38) wednesday nearly killing them, they have survived. The swimming gala went well and they both got ribbons. Leah got given prezzies by a couple of friends today and she was very touched. Parents have been coming up and giving me their phone numbers so me and the kids can go round in the holidays, so all is very well in that department, all in all a great start
Hi hevs good to hear that your kids are liking their new school, mine also settled in nicely and my son had his graduation on tuesday up at the kilsyth golf club. He is going to Boronia college at the end of jan....Drove through Rowville today on my way home from fountain gate shopping centre and seeing old friends whom i havent seen for 15 years.....have a good christmas anyway if i dont hear from you b4.............johanne xxx
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi

Originally posted by johanne
Hi hevs good to hear that your kids are liking their new school, mine also settled in nicely and my son had his graduation on tuesday up at the kilsyth golf club. He is going to Boronia college at the end of jan....Drove through Rowville today on my way home from fountain gate shopping centre and seeing old friends whom i havent seen for 15 years.....have a good christmas anyway if i dont hear from you b4.............johanne xxx
Will call soon, i promise, d'you wanna help out tuesday