British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The newbies at school. Day two! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/newbies-school-day-two-197122/)

hevs Dec 16th 2003 10:32 am

The newbies at school. Day two!

Ok, it was day 2 at the newbies school today so i decided to let you all know how it went for the little darlings.

The primary is a small village one and it has about 120 pupils. It is Zoned which means that it has a strict catchment area and this apparently means that it must be a good school!
It has airconditioning (well needed today) and a multi aged, multi ability classing system where "each child is encouraged to work to their highest range of abilities". They have got four "houses" and earn points not only for good work, but for personal skills ( such as bringing in sun screen and putting their hats on before going outside, it is compulsory to wear them for this and the next term)

There are three excellent play areas, two of which have sun sails overthem. There are taps everywhere and shelters between each class room. There are no school dinners, but the kids can order hot food from the milk bar in the morning.

Mine were in year 2 and year five at home and are doing the last week of preps and year 3 respectivly now which seems weired. Obviously they will move up a year in the new term in january.

They have a carol concert tomorrow and a swimming in house sports day on thursday ($8 each) they also do things like drive in movies and events to raise money for the PTA.

While i was waiting for the kids to come out a lady asked me if i "was the new english family" (didn't realise i'd put on that much weight!) and promptly invited us all to her xmas drinks thingy on sunday. Then Leah runs out with an ear splitting grin and says "its been the best scool day ever and i'm never going back to crappy harriers ground school!!!"
Then after about 5 mins and parents leaving the playground, garret no 2 is still yet to show, this prompts a huge rally round and hunt for Niall campaign, which takes all of 3 seconds where he is found plying with "his new buddies" on the flying fox! He claps eyes on me and loudly says "oh no! its not time to go home already?!" so all in all a roaring sucess. They both struggled in the heat at lunch time today though and i am a bit concerned about them being out in it all day at the pool, but time will tell.

Oh one last thing, Leah informed me that she has to wear shorts under her dress tomorrow as all the other girls do. i ask her why? and she says "so the boys can't see our knickers on the monkey bars" :) ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Three Legs Dec 16th 2003 10:35 am

Quality post...

Seeing the kids happy makes it just so worthwhile...

Merry Christmas & a great New Year

3 Legs

booboo1 Dec 16th 2003 10:38 am

sounds great hevs.....
shorts over the knickers or just shorts? Abit sweaty sounding to me!!!!

hugs
booboo:cool:

hevs Dec 16th 2003 10:40 am

Originally posted by booboo
sounds great hevs.....
shorts over the knickers or just shorts? Abit sweaty sounding to me!!!!

hugs
booboo:cool:
Over!!!! shes decided its still too hot though!

CHnJ Dec 16th 2003 10:48 am

Great news and a fantastic start :))

ABCDiamond Dec 16th 2003 10:54 am

Re: The newbies at school. Day two!

Originally posted by h garrett
Oh one last thing, Leah informed me that she has to wear shorts under her dress tomorrow as all the other girls do. i ask her why? and she says "so the boys can't see our knickers on the monkey bars" :) ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
It's the same up here in Brisbane, but at my daughters new school the girls wear collots (I'm not sure if I spelt that right!) They look like a skirt, but are actually shorts.

Badge Dec 16th 2003 11:06 am

can't wait until I start, Hev

debsy Dec 16th 2003 11:20 am

Hev
Glad to hear that they love it!! Keep me updated

debs

OzTennis Dec 16th 2003 2:03 pm

Lovely post. You must be very pleased that the children have settled in right away and very proud of them as well. Isn't that nice too how another mother instantly invited you to something. It sounds like a good school as well.

OzTennis:)

footie chick Dec 16th 2003 2:43 pm

Hevs

Brilliant post it is good the kids have settled in their schools and after two day you have been invited out to drinkies.

Glad you are all living your dream

fc xx

noodle Dec 16th 2003 2:58 pm

That sounds really wonderful. Kids should enjoy school, not feel like they have to go, but actually want to go. Good luck to them!

Noodle
:)

ducatiandy Dec 16th 2003 3:15 pm

My wife was a wee bit worried about our kids (4&5) settling in but I must show her this and hopefully put her mind at ease.

Absolutely Fantastic!

:D :D :D

sjn2003 Dec 16th 2003 3:24 pm

Glad to hear things are going so well. School sounds like how I remember it should be, one of the main reasons for me getting out of Hackney before my son is of school age.

I have a feeling looking up girls skirts on the monkey bars round here gets you a visit form the social services :)

tinaj Dec 16th 2003 4:23 pm

Fantastic post, your kids seem to have adapted really well to life in Aus and you adults too! Well done! You must have gone out there with the right attitude for things to be so sorted now. I hope my kids settle as easily and happily as yours have.

My 7yr old daughter burst into tears after school today saying she didn't want to go to Aus because she willl miss her friends - what can I say???

debsy Dec 16th 2003 4:36 pm

Oh dear Tina - poor little thing. I bet it made you really sad. My daughter who is also seven says that a lot and it makes me really upset.