Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie's question about taking car over...

Newbie's question about taking car over...

Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Dash riprock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie's question about taking car over...

Me and the Aussie missus are moving back to Sydney in April... I've recently bought a 2nd hand Range Rover in the UK and want someone to tell me if its worth selling it over here and buying a 2nd hand one over in Oz, or taking it over with me?

I would have sold it and bought one in Oz, but its a 2001 Vogue with 25K on the clock and is in perfect condition... even has the plastic on the chrome running board as its been driven around Chelsea for the last 5 year ferrying the kids 1 to school apparently....and I love it because its perfect for shifting the dog and the baby around so I'll definately get another one.

I hear so much about luxury car tax, but without anyone actually giving me a ball park figure how much I'll have to pay on it I don't know what to do? Anyone faced the same issue, or know of any links that I'll be able to find out?

Oh, and I'll be here lots, because i have loads of questions, so unfortunately I'll be around for a while.

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newbie's question about taking car over...

Originally Posted by Dash riprock
Me and the Aussie missus are moving back to Sydney in April... I've recently bought a 2nd hand Range Rover in the UK and want someone to tell me if its worth selling it over here and buying a 2nd hand one over in Oz, or taking it over with me?

I would have sold it and bought one in Oz, but its a 2001 Vogue with 25K on the clock and is in perfect condition... even has the plastic on the chrome running board as its been driven around Chelsea for the last 5 year ferrying the kids 1 to school apparently....and I love it because its perfect for shifting the dog and the baby around so I'll definately get another one.

I hear so much about luxury car tax, but without anyone actually giving me a ball park figure how much I'll have to pay on it I don't know what to do? Anyone faced the same issue, or know of any links that I'll be able to find out?

Oh, and I'll be here lots, because i have loads of questions, so unfortunately I'll be around for a while.

Thanks in advance...
Try www.excessbaggage.com they will be able to give you a quote so you can weigh the costs up.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:17 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance...
It's not just the taxes, there will be the container to pay for also... £3500+
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:41 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the Aussie missus are moving back to Sydney in April... I've recently bought a 2nd hand Range Rover in the UK and want someone to tell me if its worth selling it over here and buying a 2nd hand one over in Oz, or taking it over with me? <snip>
Look at both of these websites to get an idea of the hassle and expense you're going to have to go through...

Aussie Customs

Excess Baggage

And then look at these 2 websites to see what it would cost you to replace like with like over here...

Drive

Car Sales

There was a thread on here a while ago that purported to show that the value of second hand cars in Oz is pretty much the same as the UK, meaning you'd be much better off selling and repurchasing out here...

However that is not necessarily the case when you start looking at quality vehicles, which generally are much more expensive to purchase here, either new or second hand. Having said that I know the Range Rover does lose quite a lot fairly quickly compared to others here so I suspect selling and repurchasing is going to be the way to go... Let's us know how you get on...
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

millymolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Newbie's question about taking car over...

Originally Posted by rodders39
Look at both of these websites to get an idea of the hassle and expense you're going to have to go through...

Aussie Customs

Excess Baggage

And then look at these 2 websites to see what it would cost you to replace like with like over here...

Drive

Car Sales

There was a thread on here a while ago that purported to show that the value of second hand cars in Oz is pretty much the same as the UK, meaning you'd be much better off selling and repurchasing out here...

However that is not necessarily the case when you start looking at quality vehicles, which generally are much more expensive to purchase here, either new or second hand. Having said that I know the Range Rover does lose quite a lot fairly quickly compared to others here so I suspect selling and repurchasing is going to be the way to go... Let's us know how you get on...

Hi ya, Hubby & I are taking a Delica to OZ and have found that Karman Shipping were very helpfull with advice in helping us weigh up the pro's & con's... delica's are ten to the dozen over in OZ - but have found that quality over cost has won us over, plus if you ship car over on a RoRo ship out of Southampton it can save you about £1000-1500 on all your costs
Their website is www.karmanshipping.co.uk which also has a good link in helping you work out the costs. - Good Luck