Reload this Page >

Newbie to site - Hi

Newbie to site - Hi

Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:58 am
Just Joined

mrandmissus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie to site - Hi

[F]Hi all,

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself, I have been reading for about a week, but decided it is time to say hello!

[F]Both myself and my husband are done with living in this country, and want to emigrate. But are undecided about NZ or Australia - we both LOVE the outdoors life and want a better quality of life - same reasons I think everyone gives for wanting out of the U.K! I currently teach but do not want this to be my way in as have had enough of the hours, stress and workload, and part of starting again is to get a less stressful way of life, but not sure how else we would be able to get visas.

We are very keen snowboarders and skiers, so we are tempted to the South Island of NZ, but (and this maybe rose coloured, watched too many episodes of "Wanted Down Under" glasses), I love the look of the spacious, open plan houses, and the Australian laid back way of life.

We are not going to be able to afford a reccie, so are in the process of doing our research but if anyone has any words of wisdom we would be most appreciative.

Cheers x

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie to site - Hi

As you will find from reading all the threads you look at, Aus and NZ are not without their problems so the main bit of advice is don't run from anything or anywhere - your expectations may well end up too high for either country to live up to.

Welcome to the BE site. Don't forget to check out the immigration forum - very very useful. Also there are the employment forums including the teaching one where there are many people giving great advice.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

Hi Newbie

I (well myself, OH, and my son) have done the NZ thing and now myself, OH, son and daughter are off to do the Oz thing!!!

We went to NZ in 2004 and we went to Napier, east coast of north island, (was featured on Wanted down under), met some nice people and a lovely house, ute, quad bike and had a nice life BUT I missed home, friends and family - it was quite quiet there, I don't think there was enough for me. If we had stayed in Auckland, we might still be there who knows. All I do know, like you I don't want to be here in England anymore!!! New life new place so Oz it is.
Can't help muych with the south island as we only got down as far as Wellington and with Oz well we haven't been, will do our rekkie when we get there.

Hope you get loads of info and smiles from BE
Let us know how you get on
Fionax
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

mrandmissus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, it seems like a great site, loads of fab people with good advice. I am off to the library tomorrow with OH's library card as mine has mucho debt on it! Where in OZ are you hoping for - and how are you getting your points - do you have job offers etc? Sorry for all the questions, but am just overwhelmed with everything.

Hubby is going to look into re-training in a skill that might help such as electrician, otherwise not sure about selling up everything here and going on a temp visa - seems a bit risky?

No kiddies yet altho we are trying, so at the moment that is a consideration too - but someone told me to think about the family we may have and the quality of life we can offer them, not sure I would want my kids to grow up here or be educated in this country.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

We are either off to Perth or Brisbane, OH is a gasfitter and we are going in under a 175 Skilled visa. It has been hard work and not to sure if your OH would be any better off training to be something like an electrician because my hubby had to have 4 years training for TRA assesment and then a further 3 years fully qualified to get extra points for immigration - your only way there may be through your teaching, I know its not what you want but it is only for 2 years.
Or a temp visa, we couldn't get one cos we are over 30!!!
But don't take my word for it, other people will probably be more gened up than me and they may be able to give you better advise - or speak to an agent they will advise you.
Fx
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrandmissus
[F]Hi all,

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself, I have been reading for about a week, but decided it is time to say hello!

[F]Both myself and my husband are done with living in this country, and want to emigrate. But are undecided about NZ or Australia - we both LOVE the outdoors life and want a better quality of life - same reasons I think everyone gives for wanting out of the U.K! I currently teach but do not want this to be my way in as have had enough of the hours, stress and workload, and part of starting again is to get a less stressful way of life, but not sure how else we would be able to get visas.

We are very keen snowboarders and skiers, so we are tempted to the South Island of NZ, but (and this maybe rose coloured, watched too many episodes of "Wanted Down Under" glasses), I love the look of the spacious, open plan houses, and the Australian laid back way of life.

We are not going to be able to afford a reccie, so are in the process of doing our research but if anyone has any words of wisdom we would be most appreciative.

Cheers x

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Hi and welcome

You don't need to work in the same profession that you acquired your visa in. So it would be wise for you to apply with your teaching skills. As for your OH re-training as a sparky, check out the Electrician's bit of the forum, licenses etc are a pain once you arrive in Aus.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

havent really got anything to contribute but thought id just say hi. and welcome.

Nickie