Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Doofus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Questions

Forgive me if these have already been answered but it seems a vast array of information is to be had in here somewhere?

Myself and my wife are starting to investigate the move to Perth, but have some very basic newbie questions regarding some financial elements

1. I have a personal pension that I have been paying into for several years, does this just go into limbo or what

2. Similar question regarding ISA but I guess with that I just cash it in and take the hit

3. Plan on applying for a skills visa can anyone give a rough time estimate of how long it takes

4. Whats the easiest way to get our 2 dogs down there with us

Forgive the basic questions but I am sure I will have lots more!
Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:52 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Questions

Originally Posted by Doofus
Forgive me if these have already been answered but it seems a vast array of information is to be had in here somewhere?

Myself and my wife are starting to investigate the move to Perth, but have some very basic newbie questions regarding some financial elements

1. I have a personal pension that I have been paying into for several years, does this just go into limbo or what

2. Similar question regarding ISA but I guess with that I just cash it in and take the hit

3. Plan on applying for a skills visa can anyone give a rough time estimate of how long it takes

sorry, I can't help much but welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

for answer to No 3 try http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...processing.htm
Old Sep 25th 2005, 5:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o

It's usually better to post immigration questions on the immigration forum.

Jeremy
Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Re 1. You can't continue paying in unless you earn a UK salary. So you have two choices, transfer it or leave it paid up. You need to take independent financial advice re this as depends on policy and your circumstances which would be best option.

Re 3. Also check out http://www.austimeline.com/ as this will guide you to times others' have taken.

Heather
Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Hello Bristol family.My points to add.

1- Pension , Six months time scale to decide to leave or take it, for and against for doing either.
2- ISA we have cashed in, better rate in Oz
3-If your on the MODL list should be 6 months tops. Non-MODL time scales seem to be 8 - 12 months approx
4- We are using Golden Arrow, have good reviews on here.

Andy
Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:40 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

Re the dogs - I am also using Golden Arrow. I did endless searching on the internet, getting quotes and reviews. I ended up with about 10 quotes. Golden Arrow were not the cheapest BUT the cheapest was definitely not the best service.

Every other company quoted just the basic 'crate n ship' and then listed a load of stuff they would do for an optional fee - which then bumped what seemed like a good quote up SKY HIGH.

Or, you were left with a list of loads of stuff you had to do yourself, like find Govnt approved vets, arrange the export and import licenses, arrange tests etc.

Golden Arrow do the lot in their quote, and even use their own vets to do a lot of the work - their quote actually ended up being one of the cheaper if you take into consideration what they do. All I have to do is arrange the vaccination and the microchip (done). They do EVERYTHING else.

I guess if you are on a budget, and willing to do all the running - then a cheaper option may be the other companies, but I chose GA due to:

- Comparative cheapness for level of service

- Good reviews on here and in their literature

- a real sense that they understand that the dog is a pet - not 'livestock'

- I have enough to do running after my visa, house, selling everything, still working......

- My pets are my 'babies' and GA seem worth the money.

I hope that this gives you some useful info.

Good luck with the rest, and try the search function on this site - there is a ton of useful stuff, and really friendly people too