Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:01 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Red face Newbie Questions

Hi a a new member to this site you all seem really helpful and know what you are talking about.

We are using an Agent to appy under General Skilled Sponsored Designated area visa (139). We sent off our application to DGA Associates (Agents) on 31st October last year for looking over skills application for the TRA . They sat on our application for over 2 months, our credit card was finally charged on 31st December. On 14th April the TRA requested more information from us in the form of a Statutory Declaration about my husband's job as he is in the Royal Navy. We sent that off a couple of days later and are still waiting for a positive assessment. It makes me laugh as we paid for the priority 60 days assessment (it's been nearly 7 months). We were hoping to be in Oz by Xmas, but it is looking less likely now although apparently 139 visa's are supposed to take half the time of independant visa's. Arrrrrrgggggghhhh!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:21 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

I think your agent should be earning his/her money here. Theres a lot they can do to help out and it certainly sounds like they aren't getting involved as much as they could/should.

You're paying them to help after all, give them a prod with a sharp stick and see what happens!

Marko
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting to know who the agent was. if you don't want to post, pm me
Old Jun 20th 2004, 10:34 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Default Newbie Questions

Hi, thanks for that.

I have tried, but all our agent says is that we have to be patient as these things do take their time. I have a feeling that our agent may be taking us for mugs, we have shelled out over 2 grand so far and they have done bugger all. The thing that made me realise this was we had a letter from them a while back stating that the points had gone up to 120, we don't need any points as we are on a 139, they should have known that as they advised us which visa to apply for. Do you know how easy it is to "sack" your agent and get a new one. We have signed a contract.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:24 pm

Hmm, its a difficult one, as like you said you've paid them a lot of money already.

I really would consider emailing one of the other agents I talked about before and tell them whats happened (or hasn't been happening) and get some advice.

From dealings I and others have had, neither Alan Collett nor George Lombard are going to say 'pay me instead and I'll fix it'. They both have really good reputations, and will offer useful advice rather than just wanting you to sign up with them. They may well tell you to sit it out.......I really think its got to be worth you asking them anyway.

Let us know what you think.

Marko
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:26 pm

sorry, that sounds confusing. I was thinking I'd already posted their names on here, but it was another thread.

George Lombards website is austimmigration.com.au and Alan Collett's is gomatilda.com

Like I say both are willing to offer advice....

Hope that helps, and sorry for the confusion.

Marko
Old Jun 20th 2004, 8:33 pm
Dancing Queen

Default Crap Agents

Marko

Thanks for your help and advice. I will have a look tomorrow. You would think that agents would understand that emigrating to the other side of the world is stressful enough without having to constantly be on their backs all the time.

Lucy
Old Jun 20th 2004, 8:57 pm

Lucy

You're right. Which is why I think you're being hard done to by your agent.

Even if they've done nothing wrong the least your agent could do is give you some reassurance so that you'd be more confidence in their ability.

Hope you get something useful from the agents I've mentioned.

Let me know how you get on, hope it gets easier from you for here on.

Marko
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

There is a "watchdog" that agents should be members of and to which you can complain. I've registered with Geroge Lombard and he has been excellent so far answering the most stupid of questions that I've asked him.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by Lucyemma5
Hi a a new member to this site you all seem really helpful and know what you are talking about.

We are using an Agent to appy under General Skilled Sponsored Designated area visa (139). We sent off our application to DGA Associates (Agents) on 31st October last year for looking over skills application for the TRA . They sat on our application for over 2 months, our credit card was finally charged on 31st December. On 14th April the TRA requested more information from us in the form of a Statutory Declaration about my husband's job as he is in the Royal Navy. We sent that off a couple of days later and are still waiting for a positive assessment. It makes me laugh as we paid for the priority 60 days assessment (it's been nearly 7 months). We were hoping to be in Oz by Xmas, but it is looking less likely now although apparently 139 visa's are supposed to take half the time of independant visa's. Arrrrrrgggggghhhh!
Hi,

Just curious - presumably your husband is due out of the Navy before you intend going to Oz? My husband's in the RN and just been offered 2OE and we're debating whether to accept it as a fallback in case our Oz plans go awry. Only thing is currently DIMIA require discharge papers from the Navy before they'll grant a visa so that's a bit of a problem..... What were you planning to do?
Old Jun 21st 2004, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

we went with 139 visa, we started off in march getting all relevant paperwork together applied in august and was granted visas in november so not that long

time flies after that

arlene