Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie - Melbourne

Newbie - Melbourne

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newbie - Melbourne

Just been to the hairdressers for my cut and colour it only cost me $50 it used to cost me £40 back in uk. It's a lady my cousin uses, she does it at her house, all set up like a salon, she's on the Woodlands estate in Langwarrin. Very chatty and easy going.

As for the butchers we've been going to the place that Trish is heading to today, they have a massive range of meats also cheaper salad and veg produce.

Hope this helps.

Helen
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LittleHobo
Can you recomend places to go, decent hairdresses to use, somewhere to go local for a drink and a good butchers! All random questions but done in order of importance to me . Also do you know any electricians that are looking for an apprentice....
Right off for that shower!

LH x
LH

Just came back from the butchers and they were very good. They have absolutely everything there.

Head to Karingal Shopping Centre but don't go in there, instead take the next exit on the same side of the road. You'll see Mitre 10 and it's right next to that.

Their fruit and veg were the same price as Dandenong market and were in excellent condition.

The meat is fantastic. I bought

4 T-bone steaks
8 Pork chops
4 Porterhouse steaks
6 Chicken breasts
2 kg of rump mince
2 kg of rump steak

It cost around 118 dollars but having tasted their meat before, believe me it's well worth it.

Let me know if you go there and what you think of the place.

Rgds

Trish
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Disco01 will become famous soon enoughDisco01 will become famous soon enough

I'm 29 and my O/H is 25. We arrived in Melbourne on the 29th December. Currently staying with friends in Elwood.... We have been introduced to the madness that is the rental market! Currently attending viewings with forty other people at the same time! Fingers crossed we will find somewhere to live soon!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

Hello everyone - thank you so much for your replies...

Butchers - Thanks Trish - will doo, sounds great! i know where you mean and meant to pop in there on sunday, i hate buying from supermarkets and great that they have a fruit and veg place there too

Hairdressers - thanks robertnhelen, was it a good cut? Do you have her number?? I am really fussy with my hair and get really nervous when having to use a new hairdresser!! But love the prices so another . Also PM me.. where are you in Langwarrin....?

Just currently looking for work at the moment, it is a real pain - i hate job hunting!!! No one seems to get back to you to say no thanks either...

Disco01 - is Elwood near langwarrin? I dont know where anything is yet apart from teh shopping centre and work oh and blockbusters!! As currently trying to get through the last series of Sopranos...

Right, better be off as have another load of jobs to apply for!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Disco01 will become famous soon enoughDisco01 will become famous soon enough

I have no idea if where Elwood is in relation to you! I shall check my Melways!
The Sopranos my fav program! My boxset is currently on route to Melbourne I will have to wait at least another four weeks!! I can't wait to finish the final season! Jealous!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Dave, The hoons are everywhere, then there's the ones who just haven't got a clue at all. You know, the stupid f*%$#&s who stop and give way when they are already on the roundabout.

Andy

PS Get to bed, back to reality tomorrow, no more lounging around in my pool from now on.
Yep reality today. First day on the job. Went really well. Or did it? They let me go home an hour early Oh well I took the company car home so they must want me back
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Disco01
I have no idea if where Elwood is in relation to you! I shall check my Melways!
The Sopranos my fav program! My boxset is currently on route to Melbourne I will have to wait at least another four weeks!! I can't wait to finish the final season! Jealous!
we have just finished the first part of series six and blockbuster do not stock the final episodes!!!!!!! Have asked them to get them in if not going to have to beg steel or borrow from somewhere..,.

Currently now making my way through series 3 of Lost as missed it all at home... i forgot how lovely Jack and Sawyer are and still cant decide!