Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie here, Hello everyone!

Wikiposts

Newbie here, Hello everyone!

Old May 2nd 2008, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

csutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nice
Smile Newbie here, Hello everyone!

Hello everyone, we are in the first stages of the whole immigration process, live in Somerset with two kids (6y.o. and 3y.o.) OH is a CNC machinist I work as a nurse. OH sent paperwork to TRA yesterday although we are applying based on my qualification. I am doing my EILTS in May and sending all paperwork to the ANMC to assess my nursing qualification. I had a job offer from the RPH (royal perth hospital) following a telephone interview in february with the DoH of WA. They have not offered any help as such and the job offer itself is dependent on our medical, police check and of course the successful immi application. Suddenly after the job offer everything became too real, this is actually happening and with an arrival date attached to it Oct. 2009.
Every day I feel different about the whole process, especially after reading some of the forum entries. There are so many people deciding to go back to the UK it makes me question the decision we have made.
The main reason we decided to give it a go is to give our children a better start in life and live in a nicer climate. I may have rose tinted glasses on at the moment but I do try to look at this adventure from all angles and dig up as much info on the internet as I can. We have decided to sell our house, so to get back on the property ladder if we did decide that the Oz was not for us, would be difficult in the current mortgage climate. Definitely lots to consider but we are going ahead and see how is the life down under.
Lots of repainting and modernising going on at the moment in our house to try and get the best price when we decide to put it on the market I hate the dust. With the arrival date set it is difficult to know when to put the house on the market to try and finalise close to the fly out date there are no guarantees in house selling. Anyways I have dribbled on long enough.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:16 am

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie here, Hello everyone!

Originally Posted by csutka71
Hello everyone, we are in the first stages of the whole immigration process, live in Somerset with two kids (6y.o. and 3y.o.) OH is a CNC machinist I work as a nurse. OH sent paperwork to TRA yesterday although we are applying based on my qualification. I am doing my EILTS in May and sending all paperwork to the ANMC to assess my nursing qualification. I had a job offer from the RPH (royal perth hospital) following a telephone interview in february with the DoH of WA. They have not offered any help as such and the job offer itself is dependent on our medical, police check and of course the successful immi application. Suddenly after the job offer everything became too real, this is actually happening and with an arrival date attached to it Oct. 2009.
Every day I feel different about the whole process, especially after reading some of the forum entries. There are so many people deciding to go back to the UK it makes me question the decision we have made.
The main reason we decided to give it a go is to give our children a better start in life and live in a nicer climate. I may have rose tinted glasses on at the moment but I do try to look at this adventure from all angles and dig up as much info on the internet as I can. We have decided to sell our house, so to get back on the property ladder if we did decide that the Oz was not for us, would be difficult in the current mortgage climate. Definitely lots to consider but we are going ahead and see how is the life down under.
Lots of repainting and modernising going on at the moment in our house to try and get the best price when we decide to put it on the market I hate the dust. With the arrival date set it is difficult to know when to put the house on the market to try and finalise close to the fly out date there are no guarantees in house selling. Anyways I have dribbled on long enough.
Hello and welcome!
Don't worry too much about those who are returning to the UK. I'm sure once you have read a message or two from those returners you find yourself drawn to others expressing the same hopes and desires. That's only natural. I am fairly new to this site and I too was saddened by the comments you mention but be assured you will also find many members who did return to Uk and have either returned to Oz now or who are desperate to do so.

We, my husband, two boys and myself lived in Sydney for three years (2001-2004). During which time my husband's employers practically begged us to stay. However I, (trying to be the voice of reason!!??) said we needed to 'go home' and stay for at least six months in order to make a truly informed decision. Almost as soon as we landed we realised an awful lot had changed and very little for the better. I can go into more detail next time if you'd be interested. Of course when you are living in a place things/changes just creep up and over you.

We spent a long, long time during the January of 2005 mulling over the pros and cons of a permanent move downunder. We had a huge advantage of course, as three years had given us a 'warts and all' view of Aussie life. Our children went to a brilliant local public school (government/state run). My husband and I involved ourselves in volunteer work for the school and local sports clubs and consequently made many local 'true blue' friends. We have continued to keep in touch with very many of them and they keep us abreast of the ups and downs of everything from local drought, hideous interest rates, house prices etc etc.

Without going into too much personal detail, personal circumstances delayed our return however we have now, finally submitted our Visa application.
It is a HUGE decision for us, not least now that we have been 'home' for the best part of 4 years my boys are settled and say they don't want to move....parents, friends and other relatives are older and it will be difficult to leave them again. BUT I have to believe it is the right thing to do.

All I can really advise you is go with your gut instinct. Don't live a life of 'what if' and regrets.

Remember even when you receive your visa, you don't have to go!!

It isn't the same as being on holiday when you relocate. Most people I know agree that you have to give it 12 months to settle.

Try to get involved in local life, don't confine yourself (with all due respect to our members here) to the company of expats...though they will be a great comfort and support in the main.

Try to avoid comparing every aspect of Aussie Life with things back in the UK that will only leave you looking for fault. Remember it is a new life, a new country and a foreign country. They drive on the same side of the road as us and speak the same language (well sort of) but it is a different country...I say embrace it as such. Do as the Aussie's do see the glass as half full and not half empty.

Try time make time for some 'holiday' type activities when you do first arrive. The boys would have rebelled big time if we half spent every minute of our first weeks house/car hunting, signing up with MediCare, changing phones, plugs, visiting schools etc etc. We tried to do two days 'doing things' that HAD to be sorted and then taking a day off to explore. Try to put some cash aside for that...it's worth it.

Lastly a dear friend and pom works as a nurse in Sydney and LOVES her job.
Good Luck whatever you decide!
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:17 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

well hello darlin'

want a giggle? meet us in "the whinging pom - whine bar".
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:29 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Hi

We are new here too. OH sent his TRA off last week to the agent. Fingers crossed that it is okay and as soon as he has that we are applying for our visa.
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Cotswold tri Family is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by csutka71
Hi, I am a new person also - i have never even been on a forum before now!

We live in the cotswolds and are looking into go to Oz for the same reasons as everyone else, better weather, cheaper housing and a better chance for our 3 yr old.

Does anyone work as a Toolmaker/Pattern maker in the Melbourne area ? the possible salary quoted by a company who may sponsor us ( great if they did!) is half of what my husband receives in the uk - is this normal and can we survive?

On a better note, our best friends are LHR now boarding their flights to Oz to emergrate, been a long old year for them but they have done it, still nervous as they checked-in, but what an adventure!
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

csutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
well hello darlin'

want a giggle? meet us in "the whinging pom - whine bar".
hi Sheff_Sparky

Thanks for the invite
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

BearFamily will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cotswold tri Family
Hi, I am a new person also - i have never even been on a forum before now!

We live in the cotswolds and are looking into go to Oz for the same reasons as everyone else, better weather, cheaper housing and a better chance for our 3 yr old.

Does anyone work as a Toolmaker/Pattern maker in the Melbourne area ? the possible salary quoted by a company who may sponsor us ( great if they did!) is half of what my husband receives in the uk - is this normal and can we survive?

On a better note, our best friends are LHR now boarding their flights to Oz to emergrate, been a long old year for them but they have done it, still nervous as they checked-in, but what an adventure!
Hello the Cotswold tri Familiy

Snap, I'd never been on a forum till I posted on this site... Now I've been doing this for a few months and have posted over a hundred times!!!

Everyone on this site has just been a fantastic help. It's my daily fix getting on here finding out what everyone is saying and what they are up to!!

My OH is an Engineering Machinist...been TRA assessed as a Metal Machinist 1st Class. Salary wise, depending on where we go, he will earn at least double what he earns here! Salaries are higher for him in the gold fields. He's got 6 interviews lined up which he will be going over for the first 2 weeks of June - 4 in Brisbane (where we'd ultimately prefer to live and work) and 2 in Perth. I have come across jobs for Toolmakers in my travels looking for jobs for him and they do make good money...more than MM1stC!! So make sure your OH is not getting done!! One company offered my OH a job - they were soooooooooo excited to get him over there when they saw his CV they said they will get any paperwork done as quickly as possible and would like to see him over there asap then they made him an offer......I think they were taking a loan of us needing sponsorship to get over there!!

Try getting on to www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au - these are the two most popular employment websites in Australia and you can get on and compare what salary you've been offered with what other Toolmaker jobs are offering.

regards Angela
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Welcome to the madness newbies

minibelle
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:18 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE for all the newbies. You will find some really valuable information on here and most people are really helpful. All the best for your visas.

Joex
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:24 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hello and welcome to the most addictive site
you will learn lots and lots of great information on here, so use it as much as possible.
bec
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bonzer Sheila
Hello and welcome!
Don't worry too much about those who are returning to the UK. I'm sure once you have read a message or two from those returners you find yourself drawn to others expressing the same hopes and desires. That's only natural. I am fairly new to this site and I too was saddened by the comments you mention but be assured you will also find many members who did return to Uk and have either returned to Oz now or who are desperate to do so.

We, my husband, two boys and myself lived in Sydney for three years (2001-2004). During which time my husband's employers practically begged us to stay. However I, (trying to be the voice of reason!!??) said we needed to 'go home' and stay for at least six months in order to make a truly informed decision. Almost as soon as we landed we realised an awful lot had changed and very little for the better. I can go into more detail next time if you'd be interested. Of course when you are living in a place things/changes just creep up and over you.

We spent a long, long time during the January of 2005 mulling over the pros and cons of a permanent move downunder. We had a huge advantage of course, as three years had given us a 'warts and all' view of Aussie life. Our children went to a brilliant local public school (government/state run). My husband and I involved ourselves in volunteer work for the school and local sports clubs and consequently made many local 'true blue' friends. We have continued to keep in touch with very many of them and they keep us abreast of the ups and downs of everything from local drought, hideous interest rates, house prices etc etc.

Without going into too much personal detail, personal circumstances delayed our return however we have now, finally submitted our Visa application.
It is a HUGE decision for us, not least now that we have been 'home' for the best part of 4 years my boys are settled and say they don't want to move....parents, friends and other relatives are older and it will be difficult to leave them again. BUT I have to believe it is the right thing to do.

All I can really advise you is go with your gut instinct. Don't live a life of 'what if' and regrets.

Remember even when you receive your visa, you don't have to go!!

It isn't the same as being on holiday when you relocate. Most people I know agree that you have to give it 12 months to settle.

Try to get involved in local life, don't confine yourself (with all due respect to our members here) to the company of expats...though they will be a great comfort and support in the main.

Try to avoid comparing every aspect of Aussie Life with things back in the UK that will only leave you looking for fault. Remember it is a new life, a new country and a foreign country. They drive on the same side of the road as us and speak the same language (well sort of) but it is a different country...I say embrace it as such. Do as the Aussie's do see the glass as half full and not half empty.

Try time make time for some 'holiday' type activities when you do first arrive. The boys would have rebelled big time if we half spent every minute of our first weeks house/car hunting, signing up with MediCare, changing phones, plugs, visiting schools etc etc. We tried to do two days 'doing things' that HAD to be sorted and then taking a day off to explore. Try to put some cash aside for that...it's worth it.

Lastly a dear friend and pom works as a nurse in Sydney and LOVES her job.
Good Luck whatever you decide!
Hi,
Thanks very much for the encouraging words. You are right of course it is easy to pay too much attention to the negative when you are unsure as to what to do. It was great to read about your experience and all the best for the move back to Oz. I am looking forward to it really but it just seems too far away at the moment to be real. We are going over for a three week reccie in april '09 and I just can't wait to see for myself what it is really like out there.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BearFamily
Hello the Cotswold tri Familiy

Snap, I'd never been on a forum till I posted on this site... Now I've been doing this for a few months and have posted over a hundred times!!!

Everyone on this site has just been a fantastic help. It's my daily fix getting on here finding out what everyone is saying and what they are up to!!

My OH is an Engineering Machinist...been TRA assessed as a Metal Machinist 1st Class. Salary wise, depending on where we go, he will earn at least double what he earns here! Salaries are higher for him in the gold fields. He's got 6 interviews lined up which he will be going over for the first 2 weeks of June - 4 in Brisbane (where we'd ultimately prefer to live and work) and 2 in Perth. I have come across jobs for Toolmakers in my travels looking for jobs for him and they do make good money...more than MM1stC!! So make sure your OH is not getting done!! One company offered my OH a job - they were soooooooooo excited to get him over there when they saw his CV they said they will get any paperwork done as quickly as possible and would like to see him over there asap then they made him an offer......I think they were taking a loan of us needing sponsorship to get over there!!

Try getting on to www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au - these are the two most popular employment websites in Australia and you can get on and compare what salary you've been offered with what other Toolmaker jobs are offering.

regards Angela
Hello the BearFamily

My OH is being assessed for the Machinist 1st class also. It was brilliant to read that your OH had great job offers as my OH is a bit worried about wages and that he won't be able to make as much as he earns here. We have lookes at the mentioned websites but not many potential employers actually state the salary. He will be looking for a job in Perth when the TRA comes through. So thanks again for posting, it definitely gave us a boost.
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:07 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cotswold tri Family
'ello - whereabouts in the Cotswolds? Our last UK address was in Nailsworth.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

Hello, and welcome. xx xx
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the site. There is loads of usefull info on here and a lot of very helpfull people. I know what you mean about it making it real. We are on 457 visas and thought we would wait ages and probably not be going till late in the year. But found 457 is a lot quicker and company wanted us ther asap, so find we are going next week
Its hard to believ that this time next week we will be in Singapore and technically homeless
Good luck with everything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.