Reload this Page >

Newbie here, few questions!

Newbie here, few questions!

Old Sep 15th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

richa85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie here, few questions!

Evening everyone!

Im a 26 year old single male looking to come to oz. Im currently in talks with a company about a job as a panel beater in a brand new bodyshop currently being built in Balcatta, Perth. This will be done through a sponsored 457 visa, which the bloke i spoke to said will cost me about £1500. Is this right as I was under the impression the company sponsoring you pays for the visa or have i just been too naive to think this. Also, if anyone can comment on areas in and around Balcatta to live I would be really grateful. The wage will be $900 a week basic plus bonus, how much roughly are rentals or shared rentals roughly or if anyone could give me some websites to take a look at would also be appreciated, many many thanks, Rich
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here, few questions!

The $1500 is a bit high for this visa but it probably has agency fees included which they want you to pay too ... the employer should be paying not you. However you cannot force them to, if they say you pay or no sponsorship then you have a choice...

Personally, if you have a job already in UK, I would not bother with this offer.

Anyway, look at www.domain.com.au for rentals, it won't have house shares on there, I think you need gumtree for that.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

$900/week works out at $46,800/year, assuming that they pay you for 4 weeks annual leave, public holidays and any sick leave. To be honest, that's a pretty low salary, but if you really wanted to come and work in Perth for a while, you could manage. A 1 bed unit (flat) in Scarborough, on the coast and a couple of suburbs away from Balcatta would cost you about $250 pw. The smallest rental on www.reiwa.com.au for Balcatta at the moment is a 2 bed semi-detached for $310 (but I'd rather live at Scarborough). There would also be house/unit shares, from about $130 pw, have a look on http://wa.gumtree.com.au/f-Unit-Hous...W0QQCatIdZ9296. Food shopping and eating out is not cheap in Perth, you would also have transport costs. Public transport is not great getting to Balcatta and you would probably need a car. These are your absolute minimum costs, things like any GP visits are extra.

Have you had an offer in writing from these people in Balcatta and what exactly are they offering? The fact that they want you to pay for the visa is a bit concerning. Is the best type of visa for you? Have you done a wide internet search for panel beating jobs in Perth, not just the usual job websites, such as www.seek.com.au, www.careerone.com.au or www.simplyhired.com.au?
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know about the pYing for your visa thing, but $900 take home is about right for a panal beater in the burbs..

He works a lot less hours than in the uk, and is considered summit of a genious due to his uk knowledge, skills and work ethic... He loves HIS job now... Used to hate it in the uk, and his hands arent suffering the way they had been in the uk either
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richa85
Evening everyone!

Im a 26 year old single male looking to come to oz. Im currently in talks with a company about a job as a panel beater in a brand new bodyshop currently being built in Balcatta, Perth. This will be done through a sponsored 457 visa, which the bloke i spoke to said will cost me about £1500. Is this right as I was under the impression the company sponsoring you pays for the visa or have i just been too naive to think this. Also, if anyone can comment on areas in and around Balcatta to live I would be really grateful. The wage will be $900 a week basic plus bonus, how much roughly are rentals or shared rentals roughly or if anyone could give me some websites to take a look at would also be appreciated, many many thanks, Rich
As others have said, this is not a good offer. Your employer should be paying your visa costs and the salary is not that good.

You qualify for a working holiday visa and are young and single. Why not come out on that, have some fun and look around at what is available jobwise. I have friends who have gone from a WHV, to 457, to PR, so it can be done.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Shared accommodation.... Check out Perth Gumtree