Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a few stupid questions

Newbie with a few stupid questions

Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

mollymunchkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie with a few stupid questions

I've just found this website and before I spend hours trawling through the previous posts could you nice people please answer a few stupid questions? (or direct me to where I can find the answers)

How long should we expect to wait before a visa comes through? Have only just decided to leave the UK for Oz and I'd like to know just how bloomin long we may be waiting. 6 months? 6 years?? The visa we'll be applying for is a skilled migration thingey. Which leads me to my second Q....

Is there an online points checker? Just like to get an idea if we've got enough points in the first place.

Cheers m'dears
molly
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:41 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie with a few stupid questions

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin
I've just found this website and before I spend hours trawling through the previous posts could you nice people please answer a few stupid questions? (or direct me to where I can find the answers)

How long should we expect to wait before a visa comes through? Have only just decided to leave the UK for Oz and I'd like to know just how bloomin long we may be waiting. 6 months? 6 years?? The visa we'll be applying for is a skilled migration thingey. Which leads me to my second Q....

Is there an online points checker? Just like to get an idea if we've got enough points in the first place.

Cheers m'dears
molly
Well hello Molly Welcome to the forum.

The answer to the first question depends on your trade / profession partly but including the skills assessment, I guess 7 months would be a good average to work on. Mine took 6 months. The best place to get the info you're after is the DIMIA website. I can't think of where there is an online points checker off the top of my head but if I remember I'll post it here.

Try searching the forum in the meantime (search is at the top right of the screen) because you might find somebody has posted a link in the past.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin

Cheers m'dears molly
Welcome to the site. They aren't dumb questions. The first I think depends on what visa you are applying for and what your occupation is as I think certain occupations in demand are pushed through so to speak.

The points thing can be done on some agents websites. I can't for the life of me think which one I used Will let you know when I remember.

Oh yes, it was migrationagent.com (how did I forget that)
They used to tell you straight away but now they email it to you.

Hope this helps.

Tracey
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wmoore
Well hello Molly Welcome to the forum.

The answer to the first question depends on your trade / profession partly but including the skills assessment, I guess 7 months would be a good average to work on. Mine took 6 months. The best place to get the info you're after is the DIMIA website. I can't think of where there is an online points checker off the top of my head but if I remember I'll post it here.

Try searching the forum in the meantime (search is at the top right of the screen) because you might find somebody has posted a link in the past.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a 35 yr old Office Manager, he's 38 and is a Structural Engineer (with a Degree). We have a 6 month old baby, if that makes any difference. Both in good health with no criminal records (that I know of anyway). I'm itching to find out more info and just a bit daunted by how much we need to find out
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d

The points thing can be done on some agents websites. I can't for the life of me think which one I used Will let you know when I remember.
I would suggest using the information on the DIMIA website, http://www.immi.gov.au as a primary reference.

Jeremy
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tracey.d

Welcome to the site. They aren't dumb questions. The first I think depends on what visa you are applying for and what your occupation is as I think certain occupations in demand are pushed through so to speak.

Oh yes, it was migrationagent.com (how did I forget that)
They used to tell you straight away but now they email it to you.

Hope this helps.

Tracey
Cheers Tracey. Off to check out the migration agent website.

molly
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I used the points checker on OE visa site. There have been threads about them, some people have had good experiences of using them, us included, however some have had bad experiences. Just to let you know in case they were to contact you. That is what happened to me. I had enough points and they sent me an email.

Good luck
Katie