Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie and advice needed please

Newbie and advice needed please

Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

meg78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Newbie and advice needed please

Hi, my husband has recently been approached and asked if he would like to work In Perth as HGV mechanic. The idea has got us thinking but it just seems too expensive to live in Perth (the suburbs). We own our house currently and when we sell it we will have abut £100,000 and the job Simon has been offered is $62,000.00 and the employer will give him sponsorship for a 457 visa. But I have a 15 month old daughter and 2 other children who can go to school in Australia hopefully but my daughter will be nearly 3 when we move and not knowing anyone to help with childcare I may not be able to work until she can start Kindergarten at 4 isn't it? , Do you think a family of 5 can live on $62000,00? I don't want to eat into our 100,000 if we sell our house as if everythng works ou then we aim to buy a house in the future. There is so much to think about and if we are going to do it we need to get the ball rolling soon but I know nothing about Australia apart from it is quite expensive to live there. My husband seemed to think we could buy a 4 bedroom house for £200,000.00 but it isn't going to happen. Basically if we only have an income of $62,000.00 will this be enough to live on until I can get a job?? Help and advice please. Thanks Meg xxx
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie and advice needed please

Originally Posted by meg78
Hi, my husband has recently been approached and asked if he would like to work In Perth as HGV mechanic. The idea has got us thinking but it just seems too expensive to live in Perth (the suburbs). We own our house currently and when we sell it we will have abut £100,000 and the job Simon has been offered is $62,000.00 and the employer will give him sponsorship for a 457 visa. But I have a 15 month old daughter and 2 other children who can go to school in Australia hopefully but my daughter will be nearly 3 when we move and not knowing anyone to help with childcare I may not be able to work until she can start Kindergarten at 4 isn't it? , Do you think a family of 5 can live on $62000,00? I don't want to eat into our 100,000 if we sell our house as if everythng works ou then we aim to buy a house in the future. There is so much to think about and if we are going to do it we need to get the ball rolling soon but I know nothing about Australia apart from it is quite expensive to live there. My husband seemed to think we could buy a 4 bedroom house for £200,000.00 but it isn't going to happen. Basically if we only have an income of $62,000.00 will this be enough to live on until I can get a job?? Help and advice please. Thanks Meg xxx
You'll have to be a bit frugal Living on $62k

You'll have all sorts of start up costs and moving costs to cover and the money goes quite quickly..... Those have been well posted about previously if you search....

On the other hand... What price a new adventure in a new country with a fabulous lifestyle for those that choose to engage with "australia" and a bright future for the kids? And once you are both working you'll probably be fine
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie and advice needed please

if you want it badly enough you will cut your cloth accordingly