Newbie advice

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:48 pm
Hungry for advice/info

Fatal_Shore_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie advice

Hello all, great site with great advice. perhaps you can help me....

I am applying for Genreal Skilled migration to Aus. Just started the process and am at stage of sending of to ICAA for skills assessment. I have a couple questions on which I am not clear.

1- As I am applying as an Accountant, which is on the MODL, does this fast track my application? I noticed on one timeline that one person got their visa in 5 months!!!

2 - Regarding the Health Assessment/Police checks, do I have to wait for Adelaide to tell me to get these? I have seen some people say they have sent them off without requests. Does this speed things up?

Really appreciate any advice on this.

Cheerzen

Wayne

Last edited by Fatal_Shore_bound; May 23rd 2005 at 1:08 pm.
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie advice

Originally Posted by Fatal_Shore_bound

I am applying for Genreal Skilled migration to Aus. Just started the process and am at stage of sending of to ICAA for skills assessment. I have a couple questions on which I am not clear.

1- As I am applying as an Accountant, which is on the MODL, does this fast track my application? I noticed on one timeline that one person got there visa in 5 months!!!
It won't make any difference at skill assessment level, but it should do once you apply to DIMIA.

2 - Regarding the Helth Assessment/Police checks, do I have to wait for Adelaide to tell me to get these? I have seen some people say they have sent them off without requests. Does this speed things up?
Getting medicals done before being asked is logistically difficult.

You can send off for police checks any time they like but remember that both medicals and police checks have a limited validity - normally 12 months.

Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:09 pm
Hungry for advice/info

Fatal_Shore_bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It won't make any difference at skill assessment level, but it should do once you apply to DIMIA.

Getting medicals done before being asked is logistically difficult.

You can send off for police checks any time they like but remember that both medicals and police checks have a limited validity - normally 12 months.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:48 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fatal_Shore_bound

1- As I am applying as an Accountant, which is on the MODL, does this fast track my application? I noticed on one timeline that one person got their visa in 5 months!!!

2 - Regarding the Health Assessment/Police checks, do I have to wait for Adelaide to tell me to get these? I have seen some people say they have sent them off without requests. Does this speed things up?

Really appreciate any advice on this.

Cheerzen

Wayne
Welcome fellow beancounter! If there is anything you need to know drop me a PM or add to this thread and the chances are it will be something I have already been through. Chances are I am the person who got in 5 months you refer to. If you want to be as quick as possible:

Make sure you have long-form copies of birth/marriage certificates etc (you often only have the short form ones)

Get loads of passport photos

Sort out references in the right format, organisation structures and so on - that was the most difficult part for me

get everything certified by a solicitor etc for both skills assessment and visa app plus extra copies of passports etc for when you open bank accounts etc. (Skills assessment can be as quick as 4 weeks if you are lucky).

As soon as you submit your visa app apply for police clearances (up to 40 days). Then as soon as you have an acknowledgement and case number, book your medicals and get them sent off.

Do all this and you could get a visa even faster than me.

And most importantly get your house on the market. It is something of a let down to get your visa then have to sit around for months waiting for it to sell. At least there is this forum to occupy (nay take over) your life in the meantime.

Cheers