Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie accepted Melbourne Offer - will land Jan 12

Newbie accepted Melbourne Offer - will land Jan 12

Old May 21st 2011, 10:15 am
Just Joined

pilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nice
Default Newbie accepted Melbourne Offer - will land Jan 12

Hi all

I've just registered. I've accepted a job offer to go to Melbourne in January next year (2012).

I'll be going with my spouse and two daughters, pre-school and primary school ages.

We are going over on a 457 visa and will be looking to settle in the city suburbs.

Any immediate tips and advice would be welcome and I look forward to chatting to folks on here and sharing experiences and what we learn.

Cheers for now
Pilot_PIK
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Snick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie accepted Melbourne Offer - will land Jan 12

Hi,

Welcome to the forum

You'll be coming at the height of the Aussie summer nice one.

I've been here for almost a month - and still coming to terms with it all. Rental search can be frustrating and expensive - agents here generally allot a 15 minute inspection window (mainly on a Saturday morning) where the world and it's wife all pile in!

There are some nice suburbs slightly out (Bayside) but it all comes down to what you need (schooling / close proximity to work etc etc). The next 6 months will fly by - and you'll be on the plane before you know it.
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:38 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE mate and congrats on securing the new job

You might want to do a search on the forum - the search function is at the top of the page here ^^^^

Good luck with the move and the job
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:10 am
Just Joined

scottishjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Welcome to BE mate and congrats on securing the new job

You might want to do a search on the forum - the search function is at the top of the page here ^^^^

Good luck with the move and the job
Hey!

I have been in Melbourne since Feb of this year and it is a great place to live! You have certainly made a good choice! I'm here on a year working holiday visa but have decided this is the place for me and am going to apply for perminant visa! Are you from Scotland?(pik)

All the best

James
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:32 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishjames
Hey!

I have been in Melbourne since Feb of this year and it is a great place to live! You have certainly made a good choice! I'm here on a year working holiday visa but have decided this is the place for me and am going to apply for perminant visa! Are you from Scotland?(pik)

All the best

James
actually I live in Brisbane but Im delighted for you mate
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

pilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nicepilot_pik is just really nice

Hi folks thanks for your words of encouragement. We are from Scotland, well spotted.
On a wet grey day like today I find myself wanting to be there already! But we need the time to get organised.
I've been searching the forum on a few things but haven't found answers to a couple of things:

Can I take all of my electrical goods and just change plugs or bulbs?
We will qualify for LAFHA, but is anything else like school and nursery fees tax deductible?
Can anyone recommend a shipping service from Scotland to Melbourne?

Thanks in advance for your help
Pilot_pik
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by pilot_pik
Hi folks thanks for your words of encouragement. We are from Scotland, well spotted.
On a wet grey day like today I find myself wanting to be there already! But we need the time to get organised.
I've been searching the forum on a few things but haven't found answers to a couple of things:

We will qualify for LAFHA, but is anything else like school and nursery fees tax deductible?

Pilot_pik
Try this forum for anything Australian that's not visa related such as the light bulb question and LAFHA and nursery and Tax info http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

And try this forum for lighthearted Aussie banter
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Old May 23rd 2011, 11:07 am
Just Joined

scottishjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pilot_pik

Pilot_pik
Yes you can bring appliances from UK and change plugs (same voltage).Not too sure with regards to the other two. Sorry didn't mean to quote your reply walter.lol
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by scottishjames
Yes you can bring appliances from UK and change plugs (same voltage).Not too sure with regards to the other two. Sorry didn't mean to quote your reply walter.lol
that's OK

Just so you guys know this forum is for immigration issues only as we try keep it that way so people don't have to trawl through reams of issues before they get the answer to immi questions

Please can you ask questions outside of immigration in the above forum links as opposed to this forum as there are loads of peeps willing to hel

Cheers and good luck guys.....