Newbie!

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Katie84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie!

Hiya, thought i would introduce myself im Katie and me and my OH live in Sheffield UK, and we have decided we would like to look into moving to Australia, thing is i have no clue where to start?

Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations please?

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice
Default Re: Newbie!

Originally Posted by Katie84
Hiya, thought i would introduce myself im Katie and me and my OH live in Sheffield UK, and we have decided we would like to look into moving to Australia, thing is i have no clue where to start?

Thanks
Not anything constructive I'm afraid but welcome!
And many an hour spent on here will answer any question you might have....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:14 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Thanks
Hi Kate,

Welcome to BE I guess it depends where you're up to. Have you thought about an area to live? What jobs for when you're there? What kind of visa you could get or would be happy with? (e.g. some people aren't confident to move out on a temporary visa, then go permanent, others are willing to take the risk).

LOADS of info about visas on www.immi.gov.au/ - you can do points tests to see if you are eligible for certain visas.

In terms of info on areas, advice about agents or going it alone etc - or even initial considerations like where you are now - this is the place to be! There's a search function up on the top bar so if you've got a place in mind e.g Brisbane, or a suburb or career etc, type it in there and sift through all the info people have provided. If it's just not been answered yet, that's what we are all here together for!

Enjoy

lerato
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi Kate,

Welcome to BE I guess it depends where you're up to. Have you thought about an area to live? What jobs for when you're there? What kind of visa you could get or would be happy with? (e.g. some people aren't confident to move out on a temporary visa, then go permanent, others are willing to take the risk).

LOADS of info about visas on www.immi.gov.au/ - you can do points tests to see if you are eligible for certain visas.

In terms of info on areas, advice about agents or going it alone etc - or even initial considerations like where you are now - this is the place to be! There's a search function up on the top bar so if you've got a place in mind e.g Brisbane, or a suburb or career etc, type it in there and sift through all the info people have provided. If it's just not been answered yet, that's what we are all here together for!

Enjoy

lerato
Well we thought of getting a permanent visa then go travelling for couple of months to decide where to settle, my highest qualification is a HNC in electrical and electronic engineering, but no experience in this field, my OH has experience in this field and also electrical but no qualifications, i thought of a working visa for us both, i checked online and i think we have enough points to get in (would need this confirmed with a company)

Do these companies who do it for you charge a fortune? if they was reasonable then i think we would consider one, if anyone has any recommendations?

How long does it take from start to finish to get there?

Can i apply for a perm visa and go on holiday there for a while? or is there any restrictions on how long i can visit on a holiday basis only?

I did consider going out for 12 months and apply for a perm visa BUT i know if i turned down i would be gutted and wouldnt want to come back.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Hello and welcome.
As others have said, it depends on what you do, where you want to go etc etc.

Also have a look at

www.realestate.com.au

www.seek.com.au

Any other questions, just post on here and I am sure that you will get plenty of replies, good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:12 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't really research anything besides visas at this point. No point getting all worked up if you can't get one.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
I wouldn't really research anything besides visas at this point. No point getting all worked up if you can't get one.
Hi....and welcome!!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hi....and welcome!!
Thanks for the replies, i will keep looking in to visa and see how i get on! i keep looking into these companies who do it for you - but there is so many and i really dont know who to contact first lol
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people on here recommend Alan Collett and George Lombard. I used Ian Harrop to check over my application before I submitted it (back in the days before you could do it electronically) and would recommend him. Do a search on these names.

If you were born in 1984 as your name suggests, you would be eligible for a year's working holiday visa, so you could try a working holiday first if you wanted to. One possible problem with that though is if you later want to apply for a permanent visa, if you (or your other half) haven't been working in your usual occupation whilst in Oz, you might not have the recent experience you need for a permanent visa.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by louie
Lots of people on here recommend Alan Collett and George Lombard. I used Ian Harrop to check over my application before I submitted it (back in the days before you could do it electronically) and would recommend him. Do a search on these names.

If you were born in 1984 as your name suggests, you would be eligible for a year's working holiday visa, so you could try a working holiday first if you wanted to. One possible problem with that though is if you later want to apply for a permanent visa, if you (or your other half) haven't been working in your usual occupation whilst in Oz, you might not have the recent experience you need for a permanent visa.
I found it virtually impossible to get a decent job while on my working holiday visa - they think you are transient so won't consider you for proper jobs