Newbie.....

Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road
Smile Newbie.....

Hi to all, I've been monitoring this forum for a couple of weeks now and I've finally decided to register.

Mrs Hun and I are in the process of going through an agent to get a PR Visa for Oz, (looking at Perth). She's a nurse and I'm presuming that there isn't much of a problem getting a visa and then getting employment for a registered nurse out there.

But my problem is that after 5 years in the British Army, (90-95) then being in the airline business, (mainly cargo, 96-present) I haven't got many, (recognised) qualifications that I feel would benefit me in searching for a job. So I'm going to rely on my previous experience in having a forklift truck licence to make ends meet to start with and then look for work within the airline business whilst earning a crust. So to the question....does anyone know if there are any special qualifications you need to drive a forklift over there or does having a UK forklift licence suffice?

Thanks for any answers in advance.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newbie.....

Originally posted by The Hun
Hi to all, I've been monitoring this forum for a couple of weeks now and I've finally decided to register.

Mrs Hun and I are in the process of going through an agent to get a PR Visa for Oz, (looking at Perth). She's a nurse and I'm presuming that there isn't much of a problem getting a visa and then getting employment for a registered nurse out there.

But my problem is that after 5 years in the British Army, (90-95) then being in the airline business, (mainly cargo, 96-present) I haven't got many, (recognised) qualifications that I feel would benefit me in searching for a job. So I'm going to rely on my previous experience in having a forklift truck licence to make ends meet to start with and then look for work within the airline business whilst earning a crust. So to the question....does anyone know if there are any special qualifications you need to drive a forklift over there or does having a UK forklift licence suffice?

Haven't got a Scooby my friend but welcome to the site anyway !!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know my Bloke has an Aussie forklift licence, so i could guess you'd have to retake the test to convert it, bit like a driving licence.
I'll ask him in the morning if he has any idea - he won't be happy if I wake him now!!:scared:
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I think you are right in presuming your wife shouldn't have much difficulty with her nursing qualifications. A search on nursing in this and the Immigration forum will throw up plenty of info - try a search for forklift as well, you never know.

Try also the Australian government job search:

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx

then click on alphabetical search which takes you to:

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...e=2&TextOnly=0

and there listed under F is forklift drivers.

Try also the well known job sites such as http://www.mycareer.com.au and http://www.seek.com.au

Good luck.

(I can't stop thinking of that wonderful Two Ronnies sketch where one goes into the shop and asks for fork handles but the other one thinks he means four candles).

My feeling is that with all the low cost airlines starting up in Oz that there should be openings for you there as well in due course.

OzTennis
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

No idea mate but welcome anyway !

Had enough of that Manchester drizzle then ??? I'll be back up there on Friday to see the family and out on the town Saturday. Can't wait!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pollyana
I know my Bloke has an Aussie forklift licence, so i could guess you'd have to retake the test to convert it, bit like a driving licence.
I'll ask him in the morning if he has any idea - he won't be happy if I wake him now!!:scared:
Thanks, that would be really helpful if you could.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sjn2003
No idea mate but welcome anyway !

Had enough of that Manchester drizzle then ??? I'll be back up there on Friday to see the family and out on the town Saturday. Can't wait!
Yep, defo had enough of Manchester. Crime, weather, job to name a few!!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Don't take it for granted that your wife will walk into a job.

It all dpends. The state are mertging some the central hosiptals and planning to build one in the South. Now that'll take years but there seems to have been a knock on to recruitment.

Even with serious experience most are only officially offering grade 1 posts. The idea is you do 6 months and then *maybe* you can apply for the next level. Bit of a mickey take if you got 15 yrs experience.

Put it this way I got job before my wife and I'm in IT (that's saying something!!).

Best advice I can give is talk direct to the hospitals. Seems personal contact works best rather than your CV grazing the desk on it's way to the bin!.

As for yourself. Check seek and jobnet. If you're going to look at fork lifting check the ads and see what else they want to go with it. In my experience everything here requires a ticket/certificate.

It ain't easy and it's unlikely you'll earn a wedge, but it is possible. After all we seem to be pretty comfortableearning half what I did in the UK.

All the best and welcome
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
Welcome to the forum. I think you are right in presuming your wife shouldn't have much difficulty with her nursing qualifications. A search on nursing in this and the Immigration forum will throw up plenty of info - try a search for forklift as well, you never know.

Try also the Australian government job search:

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx

then click on alphabetical search which takes you to:

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...e=2&TextOnly=0

and there listed under F is forklift drivers.

Try also the well known job sites such as http://www.mycareer.com.au and http://www.seek.com.au

Good luck.

(I can't stop thinking of that wonderful Two Ronnies sketch where one goes into the shop and asks for fork handles but the other one thinks he means four candles).

My feeling is that with all the low cost airlines starting up in Oz that there should be openings for you there as well in due course.

OzTennis
Got any O's (hose) he, he had to throw that one in too, I too love that sketch

Nat
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Nice avatar...was a bit worried that you were from the blue end of town

Far too many Arsenal fans on this site for my liking...you'll soon find them crawling out of the woodwork
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:37 pm
The Ormes

louise orme is on a distinguished road

Hi, Don't have any advice on forklift for you, but almost identical situation. I am a nurse, just instructed an agent for visa, my husband also in airline industry for 10 years, mostly transport.
He's hoping to pick up any work, he has LGV but will see whats around while I support him!!!. what kind of nursing does your wife do ?? If your looking for south of perth theres a great site by an english couple, shes a nurse with info and they rent accomodation its www.mandurahmigrant.com.u
Good Luck
Louise and Steve
Ps when are you hoping to go???

Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by louise orme
Hi, Don't have any advice on forklift for you, but almost identical situation. I am a nurse, just instructed an agent for visa, my husband also in airline industry for 10 years, mostly transport.
He's hoping to pick up any work, he has LGV but will see whats around while I support him!!!. what kind of nursing does your wife do ?? If your looking for south of perth theres a great site by an english couple, shes a nurse with info and they rent accomodation its www.mandurahmigrant.com.u
Good Luck
Louise and Steve
Ps when are you hoping to go???
Cheers for the link.

Mrs Hun works as a recovery nurse and we're looking at getting out there ASAP, preferably before the school year starts in January because of our 8 year old.

Not going to hold my breath on the job front, but I'm willing to do anything to start with, just until I get my feet on the ground and weigh up the airline industry over there.

I'm finding it all a bit daunting really, giving up my job, but I suppose it's all too easy to sit back and let life go by, and I'll just have to keep reminding myself why exactly I'm doing it, for my kids.

When you looking at getting there? How far down the line are you?
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for the link.

Mrs Hun works as a recovery nurse and we're looking at getting out there ASAP, preferably before the school year starts in January because of our 8 year old.

Not going to hold my breath on the job front, but I'm willing to do anything to start with, just until I get my feet on the ground and weigh up the airline industry over there.

I'm finding it all a bit daunting really, giving up my job, but I suppose it's all too easy to sit back and let life go by, and I'll just have to keep reminding myself why exactly I'm doing it, for my kids.

When you looking at getting there? How far down the line are you?

We were in same situation, my wife was a nurse & I worked in electronics industry. She had a job to come to in Melbourne whereas I had nothing.
I photocopied my CV & drove around the area we settled in and went into around 40 factories & asked if I could leave my CV, explaining my situation. I had three interviews by the end of the week, nothing spectacular but it got me bye & gave me an income until I could pick & choose what I wanted to do.
I'm now back in same industry I left in UK, have a house we could never have afforded back home & totally settled here.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Nibbs
Don't take it for granted that your wife will walk into a job.

It all dpends. The state are mertging some the central hosiptals and planning to build one in the South. Now that'll take years but there seems to have been a knock on to recruitment.

Even with serious experience most are only officially offering grade 1 posts. The idea is you do 6 months and then *maybe* you can apply for the next level. Bit of a mickey take if you got 15 yrs experience.

Put it this way I got job before my wife and I'm in IT (that's saying something!!).

Best advice I can give is talk direct to the hospitals. Seems personal contact works best rather than your CV grazing the desk on it's way to the bin!.

As for yourself. Check seek and jobnet. If you're going to look at fork lifting check the ads and see what else they want to go with it. In my experience everything here requires a ticket/certificate.

It ain't easy and it's unlikely you'll earn a wedge, but it is possible. After all we seem to be pretty comfortableearning half what I did in the UK.

All the best and welcome
Hi Nibbs

Not going to take it for granted that the Mrs will find a job straight away, but one of the reasons we are heading for Perth is because of a contact we have quite high up at a Perth hospital. Like the old saying goes, "it's not what you know........."

I'm qualified in the IT sector too, got a couple of MCP's, although I'm not looking at that to begin with, (no experience!!) so it's looking like getting back to getting my hands dirty to start with until I weigh the situation up.

I'm a little apprehensive to tell you the truth. At the moment I earn more than the Mrs and I'll be giving it all up to earn whatever I can in any kind of job I can find and she'll then become the major bread winner, (hopefully). I'm sure I'm not the first person to feel this way and go ahead and get through it but it still isn't making me feel any better about it. But the positives far out weigh the negatives!!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Bordy
We were in same situation, my wife was a nurse & I worked in electronics industry. She had a job to come to in Melbourne whereas I had nothing.
I photocopied my CV & drove around the area we settled in and went into around 40 factories & asked if I could leave my CV, explaining my situation. I had three interviews by the end of the week, nothing spectacular but it got me bye & gave me an income until I could pick & choose what I wanted to do.
I'm now back in same industry I left in UK, have a house we could never have afforded back home & totally settled here.
Great, this is exactly what I'm aiming to do.

I know it can be done, but didn't you feel a little apprehensive to start with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.