newbee

Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:31 am
nearly there

barry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nice
Default newbee

Hi, My partner and i are pretty close now (i think) to getting our visa, having had our medicals last week. We were told we should have our visa within the next 2- 3 months. We have no family or friends in Oz so we will really be going it alone. We were planning to go to somewhere around Brisbane, but people keep on about how Perth is so beautiful etc. My partner is a P.E teacher and i am a learning mentor but am also qualified electrician , we both really enjoy the outdoor life and are both very sporty. i was wondering if people could give their opinions on which of these places might suit us best in regards to finding work, cost of living, renting, buying property and generally fitting in.

Thanks in advance

Barry
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbee

Originally Posted by barry f
Hi, My partner and i are pretty close now (i think) to getting our visa, having had our medicals last week. We were told we should have our visa within the next 2- 3 months. We have no family or friends in Oz so we will really be going it alone. We were planning to go to somewhere around Brisbane, but people keep on about how Perth is so beautiful etc. My partner is a P.E teacher and i am a learning mentor but am also qualified electrician , we both really enjoy the outdoor life and are both very sporty. i was wondering if people could give their opinions on which of these places might suit us best in regards to finding work, cost of living, renting, buying property and generally fitting in.

Thanks in advance

Barry

Welcome to Britishexpats Barry

My hubby is an Electrician as well, it's a bit of a nightmare getting recognised out here, but once you do there is loads of work. I do belive it's harder up the east coast with regards to what you have to do to get licenced, but since you have another thing you can do, it may be something you can look to in the future.

There are loads of pro's and cons for both Brisbane and Perth. A little searching old threads will enlighten you there We are in South Australia and I have to say, it does seem a lot easier here for everything. A little less "nanny state" than the rest of the country
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:45 am
nearly there

barry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nice

Thanks for the reply. This is my first time on this site and i will have a good look through other posts etc. Will be a little awkward though as i'm at work so only really have break and lunch time to brouse. No internet at home . so was hoping get get a feel by finding out the opinions of the people on the site. I'm pretty sure when we get our visa i'll be panicking even more and asking hundreds of stupid questions.

thanks again
Barry
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. This is my first time on this site and i will have a good look through other posts etc. Will be a little awkward though as i'm at work so only really have break and lunch time to brouse. No internet at home . so was hoping get get a feel by finding out the opinions of the people on the site. I'm pretty sure when we get our visa i'll be panicking even more and asking hundreds of stupid questions.

thanks again
Barry

There's no such thing as a stupid question, you know the saying "if you don't ask you don't get"

If you're anything like the rest of us though, you'll need to get internet at home cos you'll be hooked on the site and spend ALL your time here
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Think you might need a reckie to both places, so you can choose for yourself!!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:34 pm
nearly there

yeh thats what i think we'll end up doing, but i would still welcome other peoples opinions

Barry
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I can't comment on Perth as I've not been there but we headed to Brisbane. The main reason for us is that we have been there and really liked and we also have familiy there.

I really think a trip to both places would be great idea so that you can see for yourself.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:50 pm
nearly there

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I can't comment on Perth as I've not been there but we headed to Brisbane. The main reason for us is that we have been there and really liked and we also have familiy there.

I really think a trip to both places would be great idea so that you can see for yourself.
We've been to the gold coast on holiday and absolutly loved it, but believe it's an expensive place (by Ozzy standards to live/buy property). I was wondering if anyone who has been to both Perth and Brisbane has an opinion. After all living somewhere and holidaying there are two different things. The plus side for Perth for me for instance would be that it's nearer to the uk by a few hours and am led to believe the cost of property isn't as high as on the gold coast.

Barry
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We've been to the gold coast on holiday and absolutly loved it, but believe it's an expensive place (by Ozzy standards to live/buy property). I was wondering if anyone who has been to both Perth and Brisbane has an opinion. After all living somewhere and holidaying there are two different things. The plus side for Perth for me for instance would be that it's nearer to the uk by a few hours and am led to believe the cost of property isn't as high as on the gold coast.

Barry

If you live in a shed maybe

Perth is WAY expensive