Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Citizen and Australian residency?

New Zealand Citizen and Australian residency?

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Chintz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand Citizen and Australian residency?

Hi,

I am an NZ citizen, does this mean that I can move to Australia without going through the migration stuff?

I have been told by many friends here that as long as I am an NZ citizen I have the same benefits of living in Aus as an Australian?

I have looked on the immi.gov.au site and it has certain areas that talk about NZ citizens having to go through the whole migration process? I am totally confused.

Any constructive advice would be great..
Thank you
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Citizen and Australian residency?

Originally Posted by Chintz
Hi,

I am an NZ citizen, does this mean that I can move to Australia without going through the migration stuff?

I have been told by many friends here that as long as I am an NZ citizen I have the same benefits of living in Aus as an Australian?
Yes and no. You can live, work and study in Australia without restriction, but you don't get full benefits:

- you're not entitled to many welfare benefits (despite paying taxes)
- you can't sponsor relatives for residence
- children born in Australia won't be Australian citizens unless they live in Australia until age 10 (or the other parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
- you don't get access to full study assistance available to Australians
- you remain liable to deportation
- you will never be eligible for Australian citizenship

Visit http://www.nz-oz.gov.au for details.

The solution is to apply for and be granted permanent resident status. Usually through general skilled migration, or employer nomination.

Jeremy
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I have looked on the immi.gov.au site and it has certain areas that talk about NZ citizens having to go through the whole migration process? I am totally confused.

Any constructive advice would be great..
Thank you
a NZ citizen qualifies for a special visa allowing you to live and work in Aus indefinitely, without having to go through "immigration stuff". However, the visa is not Permanent Residency, so you do not qualify for all the benefits of PR. If you want PR you have to apply and the system is pretty much the same as for all others applying (ie points tested and such). but if you do not require PR ten you can stay in Aus indifinately working and living there on the special NZ visa. There are websites dealing with this specifically, someting like aus2nz (i cant remember the site name now).
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
a NZ citizen qualifies for a special visa allowing you to live and work in Aus indefinitely, without having to go through "immigration stuff". However, the visa is not Permanent Residency, so you do not qualify for all the benefits of PR. If you want PR you have to apply and the system is pretty much the same as for all others applying (ie points tested and such).
It's not points tested if your employer sponsors you for ENS/RSMS. These are very viable options for many New Zealanders.

STNI from a participating state may also be an option to avoid the points test.

Jeremy
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Chintz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for such prompt replies, I am very grateful.

I am over 55, so wouldnt make any points test now anyway.Although I would love to finish my working career and retire in Australia.

Thank you once again for your very helpful advice, I am looking forward to coming back to WA.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

Thank you so much for such prompt replies, I am very grateful.

I am over 55, so wouldnt make any points test now anyway.Although I would love to finish my working career and retire in Australia.

Thank you once again for your very helpful advice, I am looking forward to coming back to WA.

Employer nominated visas are not points tested. If you are going to regional WA, then look at the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) as it's possible for the 45 age limit to be waived. Depends on what you do.

You should probably get some good professional advice after you arrive.

Jeremy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:29 am
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not points tested if your employer sponsors you for ENS/RSMS. These are very viable options for many New Zealanders.

STNI from a participating state may also be an option to avoid the points test.

Jeremy
WHEN YOU GO TO DIMA'S SITE IT SAYS FOR NZ CITIZEN ONLY VISA SUBCLASS 861 AND 861 .
NOTHING LIKE EMPLOYER SPONSORED??
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:55 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by puna
WHEN YOU GO TO DIMA'S SITE IT SAYS FOR NZ CITIZEN ONLY VISA SUBCLASS 861 AND 861 .
NOTHING LIKE EMPLOYER SPONSORED??

Please don't post in capitals.

If you download migration booklet 5 (employer visas) you can read about ENS and RSMS. New Zealanders can apply for these like anyone else.

Jeremy