Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Years Eve in Singapore

New Years Eve in Singapore

Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:36 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default New Years Eve in Singapore

Anyone done NYE in Singapore, could you give me a few pointers, we don't want to miss anything really special.
Carole x
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Years Eve in Singapore

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Anyone done NYE in Singapore, could you give me a few pointers, we don't want to miss anything really special.
Carole x
Haven't done it in Singapore but have in Kuala Lumpur, which on a global scale is next door. It was the best New Year's we ever had - amazing fireworks, brilliant atmosphere etc. And this depite the fact that there was no alchohol available in Muslim Malaysia.

Cheers

Buzzy.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:43 am
Just Joined

smallbeagle is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be just as brilliant in Singapore. And like Busy Bee said you don't need alcohol to be merry and have a good time..and Orchard Road will be a wonderful place to be
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Carole x
I spent many a new year eve in Singapore (used to live in Singapore before I came to aus) and also new years eve in Johor Bahru { just across the border -where alcohol is definitely not banned in licensed premises for non muslims.

Alcohol is not banned in Malaysia for non Muslims, Malaysia was practically my second home- the times I spent in Malaysia when I was residing Sing (basically in and out of the country a good few times every month of the years}-Malaysia have plenty of bars and nightclubs etc. It's just banned and they can be arrested within their own Muslim faith laws to drink alcohol.It does not affect tourists and non Muslims
It's probably banned at many large public displays,public events etc though unlike on licensed premises -much like many countries it is banned at certain events ,places{including aus},ie non licenced premises.Although you could drink at the motor events in Kl, nobody stopped you, and the stalls sold beer at these public events,whether it was blind eye for these public events, I don't know

Most celebrations in Singapore are are at either private parties [which does not help you]or if you could hop along to the usual nightclub scene to celebrate. Chinese new year is a lot more celebrated for public events in sing than our new year.

When I used to live there, our new years eves comprised of mostly private parties.some years we would do the nightclub thing with a load of us .one year a load of us,fed up with the same old new years eve sing scene went over to johor to celebrate{malaysia] to a nightclub there . In the streets the locals set off their own crackers[ whether it was illegal or not},something you do not see in Sing - it's a high penalty in sing for possessing fireworks.

Fireworks tend to be limited to gov organized/approved displays in Singapore. So unless the gov are organising,or approve a firework display you will not see any fireworks

on a tourist "wow this is good" scale- I can't really answer as I was an expat there, it's a bit different from being a tourist if you know what I mean - you sort of take things for granted,what looks good for a tourist is pretty mundane for someone who lives there-"same old ,same old" type of thing when you see it year in and out

Celebrating as a nation for new years eve is not a big event for many of the local Singaporeans unlike Chinese new year etc, and I can't think of any gov organized venue that puts on a massive park like display/party for Singaporeans and tourists alike for new year.

I would think your hotel,if one of the good ones would probably be catering to the tourist and would lay on a new years party in the bar/restaurant and would also know of any organized new years celebrations that cater to the tourist - like new year harbour rides etc. Orchard road is just the same old nightclub bar scene celebrations.

you may be better off putting this question in the far east forum part and see if there are any Expats who are currently living there- They may know of some big organized public celebrations for this year.There wasn't any when I used to live there, but a lot can change in a few years.-maybe the gov have a new years display at the stadium now - don't know. Best bet is to ask one of the expats who are currently living in Sing if there are any big organized events for this year

cheers

ps

I tried a quick search to see if there are any big gov events this year, didn't find any -it looks like the "same old" type of thing to me .

I found these below, there are a few suggestions given in the top link,just put in "Singapore new years eve" into google -these two were just on the second page of my results, I looked no further, as you can do that- you may find something which appeals to your taste,like the Sentosa suggestion in the below link I would think is quite a good suggestion for you . It all depends what type of night you are looking for. http://forum.virtualtourist.com/disc...iscussion.html

http://travelmax.statravel.co.uk/sis...vent_id=109632
hope that helps

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 9th 2005 at 2:21 am.