Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Years Eve in Brisbane - where to go?

New Years Eve in Brisbane - where to go?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Years Eve in Brisbane - where to go?

Hi everyone

I've been trying to find out where the fireworks are in Brisbane on New Years Eve. I had assumed that there would be barges all along the river and fireworks on the Storey Bridge, but everything I read tends to suggest there are only fireworks are at Southbank.

Does anyone have any more info about this please or a GOOD website which give possible vantage points. Also, some things I have read say the early fireworks are at 8.30 and others at 9.00.........

Would really appreciate any information - I have my parents here and want to give them a great new year before they return to the UK.

Thanks

Rudi
x
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Years Eve in Brisbane - where to go?

Brisbane new years eve typed in to google search engine returned

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whats-on/...ture/southbank
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not heading into the city this year but I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rain and storms stay away!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi everyone

I've been trying to find out where the fireworks are in Brisbane on New Years Eve. I had assumed that there would be barges all along the river and fireworks on the Storey Bridge, but everything I read tends to suggest there are only fireworks are at Southbank.

Does anyone have any more info about this please or a GOOD website which give possible vantage points. Also, some things I have read say the early fireworks are at 8.30 and others at 9.00.........

Would really appreciate any information - I have my parents here and want to give them a great new year before they return to the UK.

Thanks

Rudi
x
Wherever the fireworks are Kangaroo Point cliffs are a good vantage point. If you really want to be close then Southbank is the best spot but you need to be right on the river otherwise the trees can obscure the view of some of it. You'd need to be at Southbank VERY early whereas at the cliffs you can just rock up anytime and there will be still be plenty of space.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Brisbane new years eve typed in to google search engine returned

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whats-on/...ture/southbank
Thanks, but that's my point - it only mentions Southbank, not anywhere else. My husband has offices overlooking the Storey Bridge, but not Southbank and I want to know if there are fireworks in that direction as well.

Anyone?

Rudi
x
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but that's my point - it only mentions Southbank, not anywhere else. My husband has offices overlooking the Storey Bridge, but not Southbank and I want to know if there are fireworks in that direction as well.

Anyone?

Rudi
x
If the office looks out onto the Storey Bridge (i.e. Waterfront Place, Riparian Plaza etc) then you probably won't be able to see anything.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

It seems impossible to get correct information about this!

Today I went to the local tourist information. I was told that the early fireworks were at 8pm.........

They were unsure about where to watch from so they called the central Brisbane tourist information who said the fireworks were at 8.30pm...........

This morning on the TV they said the fireworks were at 9pm........

The "only" place to watch them was Southbank according to the central Brisbane office, although they said there were barges along the river "probably" starting at New Farm. This is the direction my husbands office faces.

No one seems to know anything!!! We have given up the idea of going into the city, it's too uncertain as to whether we would actually be able to see fireworks from the office and the thought of spending hours at Southbank (we were told to arrive at the latest before 4pm) on a 35 degree day is not appealing. Mt Gravatt here we come.

Rudi
x
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:31 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

It seems impossible to get correct information about this!

Today I went to the local tourist information. I was told that the early fireworks were at 8pm.........

They were unsure about where to watch from so they called the central Brisbane tourist information who said the fireworks were at 8.30pm...........

This morning on the TV they said the fireworks were at 9pm........

The "only" place to watch them was Southbank according to the central Brisbane office, although they said there were barges along the river "probably" starting at New Farm. This is the direction my husbands office faces.

No one seems to know anything!!! We have given up the idea of going into the city, it's too uncertain as to whether we would actually be able to see fireworks from the office and the thought of spending hours at Southbank (we were told to arrive at the latest before 4pm) on a 35 degree day is not appealing. Mt Gravatt here we come.

Rudi
x
Maybe the council dont want YOU turning up
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Maybe the council dont want YOU turning up