Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New or Used Car? Oz or Japanese?

New or Used Car? Oz or Japanese?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default New or Used Car? Oz or Japanese?

I was checking a few motoring sites.... it appears used cars go for quite a bit of money in Australia. Is it really worth the hassle going for a used car at all? Are Australian made cars good value, compared to Japanese ones?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New or Used Car? Oz or Japanese?

Originally Posted by caliburn
I was checking a few motoring sites.... it appears used cars go for quite a bit of money in Australia. Is it really worth the hassle going for a used car at all? Are Australian made cars good value, compared to Japanese ones?
No
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know really, but I have a 1992 Holden Barina. I bought it 18 months ago for $4k and have only had to get the brake pads replaced so far. Not bad I don't think
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

it depends what type of car you want,

we have 3 cars at the moment and i can recommend them all

funnily enough none are sold in the UK.

small, Nissan Tiida.

Large saloon, Holden Commodore.

SUV / 4WD Toyota kluger

Dont go Land Rover (parts very pricey)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
it depends what type of car you want,

we have 3 cars at the moment and i can recommend them all

funnily enough none are sold in the UK.

small, Nissan Tiida.

Large saloon, Holden Commodore.

SUV / 4WD Toyota kluger

Dont go Land Rover (parts very pricey)
Nissan Tiida will be too small for us. I know Kluger, its the Highlander. Please tell me a little more about Holden Commodore... reliability, efficiency etc. Is it nice to drive?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:58 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Nissan Tiida will be too small for us. I know Kluger, its the Highlander. Please tell me a little more about Holden Commodore... reliability, efficiency etc. Is it nice to drive?
I have a 2006 comoddore, well wifey does, and I think it is great to drive, powerful and smooth, also big enough for the kids and luggage , shopping etc.

Cheap to run, however there are many choices of Commodore out there.

Some Japanese cars are great, Honda and Toyota do great cars.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:03 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

I drove a Holden Commodore (rental) for a few weeks last year. Big car, smooth, brakes were a little too good for my liking compared to my own car, felt a little cheap inside though. To say it had such a large engine (approx 4 litre I think) the fuel economy was excellent.

Would I drive one again? Yes.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what you want. Cars do depreciate slower in Australia for sure, so it will depend on what model you are looking at really.

Most Australian cars are large and comfortable, good for cruising, but they can be a bit crappy inside, both in design and aesthetics the Aurion being an exception because it is more Japanese inspired. They do seem to be very robust, they just don't have the 'soft touch' plastics of newer Euros.

For the price you can certainly pick up some excellent used Aussie cars, because they are mainly bought by fleet buyers there are a lot of Commodores, Falcons and Aurions etc that are being sold at almost 1/2 price and only a year old. The Mitsubishi 380 is also very cheap for what it is.

Jap cars do hold their value better but IMO they are second to none in terms of reliability.

BTW - Ford only makes Falcons in Australia, Focus and Mondeo are made in Germany. Holden makes the Commodore in Australia, Astra from Europe, but nearly every other model in it's range is now Korean.

And in the current climate you can knock a minimum of 10% off the advertised price - in fact make stupid offers because it really is a buyers market.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:47 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

As for type of car it depends on what sort of driving you'll be doing, what sorts of roads, and how much you'll be carrying. Fuel prices have been varying wildly, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they shot up again - so bear in mind fuel economy.

Personally I wouldn't go near an Australian car, and only drive Japanese cars: Honda, Toyota or Mitsubishi. I've got a Honda CRV myself and it's fantastic.

I think the Kluger is 2wd only, so basically it's a people carrier made out to be a truck. If you want a decent big 4wd, then Toyota Prado's are very good. As previous post said Mitsubishi 380's are excellent, although the previous model (the Magna) was said to have some issues with the auto gearboxes - but I expect they've sorted that.

Dealers are trying desperately to sell cars at the moment, so there's some great deals, but if you haggle in earnest then you can get much better deals.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
It depends what you want. Cars do depreciate slower in Australia for sure, so it will depend on what model you are looking at really.

Most Australian cars are large and comfortable, good for cruising, but they can be a bit crappy inside, both in design and aesthetics the Aurion being an exception because it is more Japanese inspired. They do seem to be very robust, they just don't have the 'soft touch' plastics of newer Euros.

For the price you can certainly pick up some excellent used Aussie cars, because they are mainly bought by fleet buyers there are a lot of Commodores, Falcons and Aurions etc that are being sold at almost 1/2 price and only a year old. The Mitsubishi 380 is also very cheap for what it is.

Jap cars do hold their value better but IMO they are second to none in terms of reliability.

BTW - Ford only makes Falcons in Australia, Focus and Mondeo are made in Germany. Holden makes the Commodore in Australia, Astra from Europe, but nearly every other model in it's range is now Korean.

And in the current climate you can knock a minimum of 10% off the advertised price - in fact make stupid offers because it really is a buyers market.
come to the uk & buy one they are selling some makes under the cost it took to build it.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71

Thanks everyone. Lots of useful info.