Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New UK to WA Driving Licence

New UK to WA Driving Licence

Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New UK to WA Driving Licence

Can anyone advise what the rules are in WA for holders of new UK driving licences.
My eldest son has had a licence for about 11 months and my youngest is trying to take his test before we go (hopefully Sept'04).
I have read that they may have to use P plates for two years and I think someone else said that if they have held a licence for less than 1 year they will need to resit the practical test as well.
Hope somebody can clear this up (my eldest is going to well peeved if he has to do a retest.

Cheers

Gazza
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New UK to WA Driving Licence

Hi Gazza

I too will be very interested in the reply to this, my son is 17 end of August and the driving instructor is trying to get Jack thru' his test before we leave in November, if they have to redo the test in WA there's not so much panic and also not a lot of point in paying to do it over here. Incidentally, could anyone give a rough price as to how much driving lessons are over there and do they do the theory and hazard perception test too, if so would he have to resit those?

Lindsey
Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:23 am
ABCDiamond

Does this web page help ?
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...out/visit.html

If not, it may be worth a call to them to clarify it ?

Old Aug 8th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that ABC will check it out
Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Lindsey

Just looking at some of my older messages and thought I could answer this one.
Not sure if you managed to get your son through his driving test or not.
If he has passed they will honour his licence but they will only give him a provisional licence here which is different to our provisional.
It just means that he will have to display P plates untill 2 years after passing his test. Also it means that the drink driving limits be be much lower for him during this period (0.02 instead of 0.05) and he will instantly lose his licence if he is caught over 0.02. So he will have to be very careful the day after going out in the evening.
We all got our licences last week and our eldest was absolutely gutted that he has now got to put his P's up for nearly a year. Stupid really as he has been driving for a month with no P's and you are allowed to drive for 3 months on your UK licence anyway.

Cheers

Gary and Angela
Originally Posted by lindseyden
Hi Gazza

I too will be very interested in the reply to this, my son is 17 end of August and the driving instructor is trying to get Jack thru' his test before we leave in November, if they have to redo the test in WA there's not so much panic and also not a lot of point in paying to do it over here. Incidentally, could anyone give a rough price as to how much driving lessons are over there and do they do the theory and hazard perception test too, if so would he have to resit those?

Lindsey
Old Oct 30th 2004, 2:42 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I can see the stigma that goes with displaying the "P" plate for a 17 year old but as an "older" woman who just got her licence, I appreciate them!!

Basically, they tell people "I'm not as experienced as you so be careful/patient"

I believe that any driver who has not had 2 years experience since their test will have to display the dreaded P's until that time. Other than that, a quick thoery test (within 3 months of arriving) and they will give you an Oz licence.

I agree with ABCDiamond... a quick call to the Department of Planning and Infrastructure will sort it out.

Siren
Old Oct 30th 2004, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that Gary and Angela

Jack has not passed his test yet as someone told me he would have to resit if he hadn't been passed for a year, wrong advice I guess, but never mind he's got something to look forward to, ha ha!

Lindsey
Old Oct 30th 2004, 7:31 am
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future
Question Re: New UK to WA Driving Licence

if you take the theory test, do u still have to stick that P plate? Do you have to take a medical test as well?

Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2004, 9:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by base_sydney
if you take the theory test, do u still have to stick that P plate? Do you have to take a medical test as well?

Thanks
It depends on the state/territtory involved, but if you have not had an overseas licence for three years you may well have to do that.

What medical are you talking about?

For full details, read the driver licencing website of the state/territory you plan to move to.

Jeremy