Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A new tool to view australia

A new tool to view australia

Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:29 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new tool to view australia

THIS IS SO NAFF!

Why me...I send the link to myself at home down load the thing at 11.30 and here I am still am at 3.30!

So far I have not managed to find one house I lived in! Part of the fact is I spent my formative years in Belfast, which is totally fuzzy. But then to add insult to injury Reading, Winnersh and Shinfield are fuzzy as well!

Ok so far not a problem, whizz me to Aus, big city Sydney, let me at least see my house here................nope not there, we in our bit of St Ives are off the map by 1.5 k and back in the fuzzy bit.

My successes
- my mums house in a poxy little village in the hills in Spain! I can see it easily (in a terraced street!)
- my favourite holiday place in Menorca, I think it is me by the pool

Now for revenge ....... I am going to send this link to every bugger I know and they can all spend quality time getting bounced.

Excellent Fun Really
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Has anyone found Ayers rock?

Niagra falls are cool, its interesting to see where all these landmarks actually are in relation to the things around them......if you know what I mean

yep,just found it, put in Yulara, australia on the search and about 2 inches south is ayers rock,if you put it on tilt you cant miss it, it looks fab
Trish
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:21 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

I did!!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
THIS IS SO NAFF!

Why me...I send the link to myself at home down load the thing at 11.30 and here I am still am at 3.30!

So far I have not managed to find one house I lived in! Part of the fact is I spent my formative years in Belfast, which is totally fuzzy. But then to add insult to injury Reading, Winnersh and Shinfield are fuzzy as well!

Ok so far not a problem, whizz me to Aus, big city Sydney, let me at least see my house here................nope not there, we in our bit of St Ives are off the map by 1.5 k and back in the fuzzy bit.

My successes
- my mums house in a poxy little village in the hills in Spain! I can see it easily (in a terraced street!)
- my favourite holiday place in Menorca, I think it is me by the pool

Now for revenge ....... I am going to send this link to every bugger I know and they can all spend quality time getting bounced.

Excellent Fun Really
After turning off my fire wall I mangaed to get this tool going. Sandra like you I had no luck with some of my old homes , Bucks , London, Singapore, India,Oman,my son's home in NZ, but have a good view of our present home in Surrey. The village school was easy to locate.We have a large oak tree outside our house and also one in our neighbours garden so our house can be seen. The school had a nursery portacabin added , opposite our house, last summer and that isn't on the photo so we can assume the images are over a yr old.

Melbourne suburbs are very blurred. The other www. city2see.com is much better for viewing suburbs and houses!
It was fun to see the world whizzing round - where did the morning go?!! better prepare lunch.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:23 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Widdi
I have used a program called keyhole for years - well it was bought by google about six months ago and it all went quiet -

but now they have it for free!! it cost me $2000!

what it is - is a map tool on steroids - you will be able to zoom right into eg. a house in perth and see the swimming pool!

It makes a great research tool for migrants and nosey types too.

link

you have to download it and broadband is reccommended

Awesome, a little out of date (Perth a couple of years!!) but still awesome.

Paul J
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:50 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

I have used a program called keyhole for years - well it was bought by google about six months ago and it all went quiet -

what it is - is a map tool on steroids - you will be able to zoom right into eg. a house in perth and see the swimming pool!

link

This is the most fabulous program. Absolutely fantastic pics over Perth, bad luck Sydneysiders, though was surpised that the shots of Sydney weren't more detailed. Can see the roof of our house in Kinross, it is brill!!!

Can see Eiffel Tower and the London Eye really clearly. Just the best, it can only get better.

Thanks for sharing this with us Widdi.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:57 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pompeywill
What an excellent find, very impressive.

I would say its about 2 yrs out of date for Perth though. I was there just under 18 months ago and the development I bought in doesn't even exist!
Perhaps they have knocked it all down
Well looking on there I can see a few differences from what I'm seeing now I'm here in Perth. Butler is in very early stages, it's now really much bigger. And some roads are like Shenton Ave near Joondalup are dual carriageway and on there they're just single roads. The school at Iluka isn't on either, and it's definitely there. Do they build em very quickly here?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:57 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Widdi, k sent. I'm loving it
Marie
Old Jul 17th 2005, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

link

I may be stupid here here but how did you get to zoom in so close to see a particular house without it all going blurred

Tony
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SonjaNTony
I may be stupid here here but how did you get to zoom in so close to see a particular house without it all going blurred

Tony

Oh i get it now, seems to be cities only where buildings are shown clearly

Tony
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:16 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

there is a resolution update --- next week... "the americans can read your newspaper!!"

remember that??? - childhood in the 70s!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't think it was that good. As far as viewing a map goes, it is ok though. I d/loaded it about a month ago and had a look around Australia and haven't loaded it up since.