Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New theory on Perth...

New theory on Perth...

Old May 14th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New theory on Perth...

I appreciate that the following will no doubt be controversial. And it won't be politically correct.

On my way into work today I was thinking about Perth and why it is that for me - in spite of its obvious positives - things just don't click.

I came up with the idea that much of the money in Perth is from 'new' money. Money which has been created by certain jobs - tradesmen done good; dump-truck drivers buying a few houses, real estate agents pocketing the money etc etc.

Money being so powerful means that the direction of the city - be it types of restaurants, availability of different activities or even the direction of public policy (education, health etc) and the standard of politics is directly influenced by who controls the money. And the people who control the money are perhaps (going back to the examples above), and very generally speaking, people who are not the types of people who dominate decision making in (for want of an extreme example) say, Cambridge.

I fully appreciate that this will be seen as snobbery by some and I appreciate that it's a theory developed on the back of a beer-mat on the drive in so to speak - but I'd be interested to hear views.

(BTW - I've never lived in Cambridge (or Oxford) but I was struggling for an extreme!)
Old May 14th 2008, 1:01 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New theory on Perth...

Mirror,signal,manoeuvre,next time youre behind the wheel.I think its for the best.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
Mirror,signal,manoeuvre,next time youre behind the wheel.I think its for the best.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, as a Cambridge girl, I think my still resident parents would say that there are some right dropkicks making decisions over there too! However, that is not to say you are wrong. I think the whole country is just like a teenager finding its feet, no matter where you go with the same situation developing in other places as well. I was thinking the other day that Canberra suffers from much of the same problem too.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I appreciate that the following will no doubt be controversial. And it won't be politically correct.

On my way into work today I was thinking about Perth and why it is that for me - in spite of its obvious positives - things just don't click.

I came up with the idea that much of the money in Perth is from 'new' money. Money which has been created by certain jobs - tradesmen done good; dump-truck drivers buying a few houses, real estate agents pocketing the money etc etc.

Money being so powerful means that the direction of the city - be it types of restaurants, availability of different activities or even the direction of public policy (education, health etc) and the standard of politics is directly influenced by who controls the money. And the people who control the money are perhaps (going back to the examples above), and very generally speaking, people who are not the types of people who dominate decision making in (for want of an extreme example) say, Cambridge.

I fully appreciate that this will be seen as snobbery by some and I appreciate that it's a theory developed on the back of a beer-mat on the drive in so to speak - but I'd be interested to hear views.

(BTW - I've never lived in Cambridge (or Oxford) but I was struggling for an extreme!)
Perth is a typical resources boom city. Just like Calgary, Houston, Anchorage or Dubai. So, in a way, you are right about the new money aspect. Big money flowing in, in a short space of time, with a governement that does not have a clue what to do with it - although I think this is now changing. It will never have the culture of Europe. I don't care though. For me, Perth is a great place to raise a family and as I have stated before, without parallel anywhere else in the world.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

WA is the way it is because many of the state and local govt. politicians are either crooks, in the pay of the real estate industry of both.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a theory to somehow justify the reason you dont like a place then fair enough.

Personally I dont know what's wrong with accepting that you just dont it, end of.

It's like people: we all meet people, some of whom become really good friends, some of whom we just dont like - and quite often for no obvious reason. Yet we dont sit there worrying about it. Life is like that.

JMHO and when I say "You" I dont mean this aimed at the OP personally but just in general
Old May 14th 2008, 2:01 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

pull up to the bumper..........
Old May 14th 2008, 2:24 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This just highlights why I love Perth and you don't. I think there is truth in the theory but I draw exactly the opposite conclusion. IMHO the UK was being badly mis-managed by chinless wonders from Oxbridge with no grasp on reality. They got the job because Daddy was friends with with a guy at the rugby club / Masons / or was buggered by them at private school despite the fact they actually knew sweet FA about the role they got given.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by this charming man
what they do that here

Ann
Old May 14th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
If you need a theory to somehow justify the reason you dont like a place then fair enough.

Personally I dont know what's wrong with accepting that you just dont it, end of.
You sound like my mother.

I like to analyse things....
Old May 14th 2008, 3:33 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
WA is the way it is because many of the state and local govt. politicians are either crooks, in the pay of the real estate industry of both.
You forgot the Catholic Church.
Old May 14th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worzel
IMHO the UK was being badly mis-managed by chinless wonders from Oxbridge with no grasp on reality. They got the job because Daddy was friends with with a guy at the rugby club / Masons / or was buggered by them at private school despite the fact they actually knew sweet FA about the role they got given.
I think you might be right.

I suppose I was trying to figure out why I don't fit in to Perth. My background was fairly normal - comprehensive education, red-brick university. I've been around a bit but certainly can't access many of the things in the UK which others can because of financial restrictions.

But I still find that the highlights in Perth and South West WA are generally banal and the way that things are done often just lacking in refinement.
Old May 14th 2008, 3:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might be right.

I suppose I was trying to figure out why I don't fit in to Perth. My background was fairly normal - comprehensive education, red-brick university. I've been around a bit but certainly can't access many of the things in the UK which others can because of financial restrictions.

But I still find that the highlights in Perth and South West WA are generally banal and the way that things are done often just lacking in refinement.
You've seen "The Shawshank Redemption" right?

How long did it take Morgan Freeman to become institutionalised? There's a lesson for us all there (the "whinging" fraternity).
Old May 14th 2008, 3:45 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We love Mindarie, it's exactly what we wanted before we arrived ...

HOWEVER ...

Perth as a whole ain't all that. The reason ...

For me, it's purely & simply the City, or lack of it.

It offers nothing at all & since leaving my job there 6 months ago, I've been back only once for our citizenship test (a week ago).

It needs substantial investment and forward thinking altho' the present state Government and those before them are not prepared to go out on a limb despite the money flowing into the economy & their general coffers.

The place is stuck in a time warp & the old argument 'It's a big country town ... we don't want to lose that' doesn't wash. People are craving cafe / restaurant culture and entertainment.

Perth must be the only city in the Western World where it's major asset, ie the Riverfront, hasn't been utilised ...

Agh well ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.