Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to Tasmania (Hobart)

New to Tasmania (Hobart)

Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

The Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to all
Default New to Tasmania (Hobart)

Well we finally made it to Tassy from the sunshine coast, we had a great drive down the east coast and took in a lot of the sights of the mainland. We have been here a month now and I wish we had come here first as it is the most beautiful place. After struggling to find work in QLD hubby who is a builder / carpenter had work after 3 days with a good pay rate and a boss who is doing what he said he would. I have decided to take a bit of time out and maybe do some studying. We have got a great house on the Eastern shore overlooking the Derwent river and the city, yes it is a bit cool at the moment but is is actually very nice to be able to breath fresh air (no humidity). If there are any people around Hobart who fancy a coffee or beer we would love to hear from you as we are looking to meet some new friends.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:26 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to Tasmania (Hobart)

Originally Posted by The Westies
Well we finally made it to Tassy from the sunshine coast, we had a great drive down the east coast and took in a lot of the sights of the mainland. We have been here a month now and I wish we had come here first as it is the most beautiful place. After struggling to find work in QLD hubby who is a builder / carpenter had work after 3 days with a good pay rate and a boss who is doing what he said he would. I have decided to take a bit of time out and maybe do some studying. We have got a great house on the Eastern shore overlooking the Derwent river and the city, yes it is a bit cool at the moment but is is actually very nice to be able to breath fresh air (no humidity). If there are any people around Hobart who fancy a coffee or beer we would love to hear from you as we are looking to meet some new friends.
Must be freezing down there this time of year, any snow. l've been on a holiday to Tassie , it has the best scenery in OZ in my opinion.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

The Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mohogony
Must be freezing down there this time of year, any snow. l've been on a holiday to Tassie , it has the best scenery in OZ in my opinion.
It's not too bad today but last week we had a couple of cold days, there has been snow on the top of the mountain but it has gone now, I agree the scenery is without doubt the best in OZ. Where abouts are you?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi there, you might want to re-post your message on this thread dedicated solely to Tasmania :-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=tasmania

there's a few regular posters based in the Hobart area's....

Cathy
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:42 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Westies
It's not too bad today but last week we had a couple of cold days, there has been snow on the top of the mountain but it has gone now, I agree the scenery is without doubt the best in OZ. Where abouts are you?
Country Victoria.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Have sent you a om, look forward to catching up soon!

Sam
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:20 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hi Westies,
Good to see you are loving Tassie, It's an amazing place to live. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!!
We live in the North of the state but will be down around Hobart on the weekend of the 22nd Aug as I am showing my model railway layout at the show in Hobart, If your coming along give us a shout!!!
Gary Vikky and Hollie
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi Westies,
Good to see you are loving Tassie, It's an amazing place to live. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!!
We live in the North of the state but will be down around Hobart on the weekend of the 22nd Aug as I am showing my model railway layout at the show in Hobart, If your coming along give us a shout!!!
Gary Vikky and Hollie
Thanks, we will try and get there and have a chat.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi there, you might want to re-post your message on this thread dedicated solely to Tasmania :-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=tasmania

there's a few regular posters based in the Hobart area's....

Cathy
Thanks Cathy, will check it out.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

SmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the rough

We're moving to Hobart at the end of January, have finally got my contract from the RHH..assuming there are no issues with visa application. Be good to get together with all at some point...especially if anyone has boys of 10/11 years old, help my son settle, and girls of 2-3, give my daughter someone to play with.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmogMonster
We're moving to Hobart at the end of January, have finally got my contract from the RHH..assuming there are no issues with visa application. Be good to get together with all at some point...especially if anyone has boys of 10/11 years old, help my son settle, and girls of 2-3, give my daughter someone to play with.
Hiya

We live in Tas too, I've got an 11 year old son so would be happy to meet up when you arrive. I work at the Hobart Private Hospital which is right next door to the RHH, what area do you work in?

PM me if you want to chat.

Sam
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SmogMonster
Hi,
Let us know how things are going and when you get here it would be good to get together. We dont have any kids so cant help with the little ones making friends although the missus says its like having a big kid living with me. Where abouts in North Yorkshire are you from?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

SmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the rough

We live in Richmond, but spent 7 years living in Stockton, hence the Smoggie nickname. I will be working in the Emergency Dept. (still sounds too 'American' for me - i prefer to say A+E), however weve just found out that Sarah has to now do the IELTS test for her nurse registration, which is bloody ridiculous considering she is English......yet more expense and time.

How are you guys finding the winter over there? Is it cold, or quite mild?