Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to Sydney - Any advice on where to live in Upper North shore area?

New to Sydney - Any advice on where to live in Upper North shore area?

Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:23 am
Just Joined

Tishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really nice
Smile New to Sydney - Any advice on where to live in Upper North shore area?

Hi there,

My family are I are moving to Sydney in August and have narrowed the search down but wanted some advice on the best places to live. We have a ten year old son and a six year old daughter. I have just arrived back in the UK after a weeks search and really loved the Gordon/Pymble/St Ives area. As a complete newcomer to Sydney I wanted to make sure that we made the right choice. I was hoping for any advice on schools and friendly/welcoming communities with lots of family activities and opportunities to meet new friends. Would really appreciate any tips!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:53 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to Sydney - Any advice on where to live in Upper North shore area?

Good areas if you can afford and be near the station. Snives (local nicknameas the population is reputed to be snooty) has no station and is reliant on buses. St Ives High school has a good reputation or do you want to go private. Either way it is hard to go wrong in the area.
Originally Posted by Tishi01
Hi there,

My family are I are moving to Sydney in August and have narrowed the search down but wanted some advice on the best places to live. We have a ten year old son and a six year old daughter. I have just arrived back in the UK after a weeks search and really loved the Gordon/Pymble/St Ives area. As a complete newcomer to Sydney I wanted to make sure that we made the right choice. I was hoping for any advice on schools and friendly/welcoming communities with lots of family activities and opportunities to meet new friends. Would really appreciate any tips!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Tishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really niceTishi01 is just really nice
Default Re: New to Sydney - Any advice on where to live in Upper North shore area?

Originally Posted by IvanM
Good areas if you can afford and be near the station. Snives (local nicknameas the population is reputed to be snooty) has no station and is reliant on buses. St Ives High school has a good reputation or do you want to go private. Either way it is hard to go wrong in the area.
Thank you, it's good to get insider info - not sure if 'Snives' would be up our street then!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tishi01
Thank you, it's good to get insider info - not sure if 'Snives' would be up our street then!
Also St Ives has a big Jewish community. Not that I have any problem with that just thought it might be relevant.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in the Lane Cove area which is really nice but not upper North Shore as such I guess, more lower, some very pretty views of the harbour / Lane Cove river from many residential streets, so pretty in fact it had it's own Lane Cove artists group, still might I think. Lane Cove also feels like a seperate village in the heart of suburban Sydney, it has managed to hold on to that community feeling that has been lost in many other areas. Houses can be expensive of course but is worth a look if you can afford it, I really like it there. The only drawn back is that the closest station is some distance away.

Gordon is a nice spot, especially if any of your family are in to the Rugby Union, they have one of the main domestic comptition sides there, I have been there to see them play numerous times. It is a nice area, especially if you can live within walking distance to the station.

The only place I would really advise to keep away from is Chatswood. The development that has gone on there over the last 5 or 6 years has been massive and it has had it's heart ripped out. Great for shopping, not so good for living.

Last edited by Jon77; Jul 26th 2010 at 9:45 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

The Hills area is good well established area for families especially Cherrybrook & Castle Hills. Only problem is there is no train yet but that helps keep those undesirable immigrants away.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:01 am

But that is not the North Shore. As well as no train the traffic is a pain and the services are not as established. Housing is much better value there though.
Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
The Hills area is good well established area for families especially Cherrybrook & Castle Hills. Only problem is there is no train yet but that helps keep those undesirable immigrants away.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IvanM
But that is not the North Shore. As well as no train the traffic is a pain and the services are not as established. Housing is much better value there though.
Thats why it called the Hills area.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

We live in Killara (West of the Pacific Highway). It is much better value than the East side. About 25 minutes walk from the station, or a quick drive and park.

We're in the catchment for Killara High School which has a very good reputation (our daughter goes to SCECGS Redlands, but that's another story)

Gordon is just up the road, a very nice suburb. St.Ives and Pymble you are just getting a little bit further from the city.

I would recommend Killara or Gordon. House prices get a bit more reasonable as you get further from the city, so that might be a plus for you if you like Pymble/St. Ives.

We have a post office/newsagent, a fantastic pizza restaurant, chinese (good but relatively pricey), grocers, skin care, dentist, pharmacy, day-time restaurant, bottleshop and lawnmower shop, and a couple of others. What more could you want!!

Good luck
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:58 am

Decent coffee. North shore seems devoid of decent caffeine. Not enough from the med. Food is average as well. But I moved here for the kids.
Originally Posted by killerhales
What more could you want!!

Good luck
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:13 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Would have no problem living in Pymble or Gordon if I could afford to.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by killerhales
We live in Killara (West of the Pacific Highway). It is much better value than the East side. About 25 minutes walk from the station, or a quick drive and park.

We're in the catchment for Killara High School which has a very good reputation (our daughter goes to SCECGS Redlands, but that's another story)

Gordon is just up the road, a very nice suburb. St.Ives and Pymble you are just getting a little bit further from the city.

I would recommend Killara or Gordon. House prices get a bit more reasonable as you get further from the city, so that might be a plus for you if you like Pymble/St. Ives.

We have a post office/newsagent, a fantastic pizza restaurant, chinese (good but relatively pricey), grocers, skin care, dentist, pharmacy, day-time restaurant, bottleshop and lawnmower shop, and a couple of others. What more could you want!!

Good luck
Many thanks, I think we will extend our search. It's such a pretty area, it seems a fine region to live. We're very excited and can't wait to move to Oz!!!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

what is your budget for rentals?

be prepared to spend a lot in the nice areas

where will you be working? factor in commute times too......

http://www.131500.com.au/

that site is invaluable; type in the name of the property you like/have seen on the net, then your work address and time you want to get there for and it will give you all your travel options and times.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I live in St Ives and work in Hornsby. All the areas you mentioned are fine. The primary schools with the best reputations are Roseville, St Ives North and the bush school (Wahroonga). Public high schools are Killara, St Ives and I hear Kuringgai Creative High is good also. Heaps of good private schools too eg Ravenswood, PLC and Barker.

I can't say one area is more friendly than another. St Ives is quite Jewish and Hornsby has more immigrants esp asian. I would go for a train station if budget allows.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:23 am

Hornsby North primary was one of the top performing primaries in the country. I understand the bush school has some building issues.

St Ives seems to have attracted a lot of Saffies as well.

Hornsby is more multicultural but has a massive Westiefields if that is your type of thing.

There is also Hornsby Girls high and Normanhurst high which are highly selective. Sadly lots of parents send their primary kids to cram school to pass the selective exam.
Originally Posted by queenie
I live in St Ives and work in Hornsby. All the areas you mentioned are fine. The primary schools with the best reputations are Roseville, St Ives North and the bush school (Wahroonga). Public high schools are Killara, St Ives and I hear Kuringgai Creative High is good also. Heaps of good private schools too eg Ravenswood, PLC and Barker.

I can't say one area is more friendly than another. St Ives is quite Jewish and Hornsby has more immigrants esp asian. I would go for a train station if budget allows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.