Reload this Page >

New to Sydney...

New to Sydney...

Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

saleems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Sydney...

hello All

i finally reached to Sydney on July 2nd. but still now i am unable to find any job related to my field i,e. IT expert i have applied to thousands of places, but got only few calls, out of which some said since i don't have local experience, therefore i'm not eligible can anyone please provide ant tips for job searching? are there any agencies that can help new immigrants like me??

please note my visa type is Permanent Resident, skilled independent 175

hoping for some positive replies
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Sydney...

Originally Posted by saleems
hello All

i finally reached to Sydney on July 2nd. but still now i am unable to find any job related to my field i,e. IT expert i have applied to thousands of places, but got only few calls, out of which some said since i don't have local experience, therefore i'm not eligible can anyone please provide ant tips for job searching? are there any agencies that can help new immigrants like me??

You have only been here a couple of weeks. Some of us looked for months before finding employment, so try to be a bit more patient.

Have you been to any agencies? Have you tried looking on Seek? www.seek.com.au
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You have only been here a couple of weeks. Some of us looked for months before finding employment, so try to be a bit more patient.

Have you been to any agencies? Have you tried looking on Seek? www.seek.com.au
yes dorothy

i have been using seek since im here. can u please advice any agencies that can be of help? also is it worth visiting them personally?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

aliash is an unknown quantity at this point

yes dorothy

i have been using seek since im here. can u please advice any agencies that can be of help? also is it worth visiting them personally?
yes it is register yourself to them
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:46 am
Just Joined

jigarercivil is an unknown quantity at this point

I have nice concept to get a job....

First try to survey, which types of the jobs are more available....if there is any specific computer language....join classes for that language...mean while you also start job at shop,factory or etc...so after 6 months u have certificate of that class so companies can trust and believe that u have some local exp....

I thought same way.....for me ...12D model is most usable in construction industry so when i will be there i will start to join classes for that...i have started to learn in but from india ....my own way....because i dont have visa yet waiting for SMP...

But definitely this formula will work....try it you can get it

Originally Posted by aliash
yes it is register yourself to them
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first went to Sydney back in 2002 I spoke with a few people in my area and they said to me 'just get a job, any job'. Ok that sounds a bit desperate doesn't it, but it is just getting that first position in Australia, after that doors will open.

I started out in a temp job doing data entry work for a few months Ok it wasn't good pay and it was totally mind numbingly boring but the point was it got me an Australian reference, increased my interview rate and by the time I finished the temp job I got the permanent position I was looking for.

Some times you need to take a step backwards to move forwards. North Sydney is full of temp IT positions.

Last edited by Jon77; Jul 27th 2010 at 9:09 am.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

simfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nice

Hi,

Please refer to the following thread about finding first job in Australia

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=simfaisal

Best regards
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

What type of IT job are you looking ?
desktop support ? Backend support ? Networking... etc...

also if you have applied for loads and not had any calls maybe it’s something to do with your CV ????
how many years work experience do you have ?

if your CV is not clear and easy to read no one will bother calling....

and if your only applying on line and not calling any agency’s etc....

also use google!!!!!

there are loads of agency’s out there.....
I’m not even there yet and i have found loads and loads contact details etc...
and without being rude....

do you honestly think you’re gonna find a job without going to see agency’s etc...
you work in IT.... you need to be very logical in IT....
same goes for finding a job... be logical about it
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

hello All

It is still early days and most people don't get off the plane and walk into a job.

You say you have applied for thousands of places, makes me wonder if you are taking enough care with your applications. Perhaps you need to slow down tailor your CV to highlight what skills and experience you bring to a particular role and work on a good covering letter instead of shooting off thousands of bog standard applications.

I am not convinced by this whole "local experience" thing. I heard it too in my profession and was not really convinced that it was a show stopper there either. IT / computing/ computer languages work the same in Australia as anywhere else as far as I know anyway.

I would review your CV, ideally get somebody else to review and if possible a native English speaker just to ensure that it is clearly written and grammatically correct.

And yes you need to get in front of a few recruitment agents.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the great suggestions, yes i have to visit some agencies as well look for any job. JON77 is rite i have to move backward for my career start.

Bermudashorts I am sending you my cv for review and waiting for your feedback. I am not throwing my cv with the single format, making changes as per the requirement.

Let you all know that I have 8 years of expereince in Network & System administration. I had worked on Microsoft / Cisco / Redhat / Solaris platforms but most of my expertise are on Microsoft Products. I am also certified MCP/MCSA/CCNA.
Thank you all again.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the great suggestions, yes i have to visit some agencies as well look for any job. JON77 is rite i have to move backward for my career start.

Bermudashorts I am sending you my cv for review and waiting for your feedback. I am not throwing my cv with the single format, making changes as per the requirement.

Let you all know that I have 8 years of expereince in Network & System administration. I had worked on Microsoft / Cisco / Redhat / Solaris platforms but most of my expertise are on Microsoft Products. I am also certified MCP/MCSA/CCNA.
Thank you all again.
With those quals, which are not that high or uncommon, I would join a Temp Agency and get User Support role or Back Office support roles.
That way you will learn local terms, start to gain knowledge of local companies and get a grasp of the sorts of salary you can expect.