New to Sydney

Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile New to Sydney

Just arrived two weeks ago. Found a place to live on the North Shore and got myself a car. Got the wrong visas for our two adopted kids so have to apply for new ones from here. The kids are happy - it means they cannot go to school. Not so good for the parents! Are there any expats out there who might care to meet up for a coffee one day. We don't have child-minders yet.

Also while I was in the UK I read that there were sometimes get togethers of ex pats for BBQ's etc. If anyone knows of anything please let us know.

Thanks
Ian
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:04 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Sydney

try this thread

You have just missed one, but there looks to be another one for Feb and you get a list of others that are in Sydney.

Maybe see you at one of the meeting in 2006!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 7:49 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Welcome on board Ian.
Not many responses yet, but it was an early post (1am?). Bumping you to the top again. Where abouts on the North Shore?
There is talk of a meet up in Manly in December. Don't think we'll be going, got the outlaws with us. Stick a hello on this post for an invite.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Yes, where are you? How annoying about the visas! (well, annoying for you - the kids can enjoy the beach!)
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:35 pm
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by Ian12
Just arrived two weeks ago. Found a place to live on the North Shore and got myself a car. Got the wrong visas for our two adopted kids so have to apply for new ones from here. The kids are happy - it means they cannot go to school. Not so good for the parents! Are there any expats out there who might care to meet up for a coffee one day. We don't have child-minders yet.

Also while I was in the UK I read that there were sometimes get togethers of ex pats for BBQ's etc. If anyone knows of anything please let us know.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian

Welcome to Sydney. Can I ask what sort of visa you are on? We just added our adopted daughter to our PR application and she was treated in the same way as our two biological daughters and given PR. Hope you get things sorted soon.

Are you children overseas adopted? Our daughter is Cambodian by birth. Would be happy to meet you guys for coffee sometime - send me a PM if you fancy meeting up. We live just north of Castle Hill in a suburb called Glenhaven.

Rudi

Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes 1am - I am a late nighter aand pay the price the next morning. At least it means there is no problem chatting to friends in the uk . Thanks for bumpng me to the top again. We are in Belrose - not far from Manly. Where are you. Have you been out here long. It is sort of weird to give up home, business and schools and then be in a sort of endless holiday - except you know it is not a holiday and funds are finite.

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Welcome on board Ian.
Not many responses yet, but it was an early post (1am?). Bumping you to the top again. Where abouts on the North Shore?
There is talk of a meet up in Manly in December. Don't think we'll be going, got the outlaws with us. Stick a hello on this post for an invite.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:05 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

No worries on the bump. I don't often come on here outside of work hours.
We're living in Queenscliff, at the top end of Manly beach. No kids (yet) so were able to get a small pad overlooking the beach. Been here for 10 months now, and it's gone by so quick. The holiday feel still hasn't worn off completely, which is good as that's sort of one reason why we came back.

What are your long term plans? What brought you here?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Rudi

We had to leave the UK in a hurry as soon as the adoption hearing was complete because my Mother in law was seriously ill here in Sydney. We sought advice from the London Australian High Commision who told us to submit the kids applications for PR with a covering letter explaining that the adoptionwould be submitted within the next few days after the hearing. This we did and were promptly rejected for not including the adoption certificate. We explained that was what we had been advised to so by them but they were having none of it, denied givingus advice and told us we would have to apply again and pay again. As the health situation was in extremus we decided to bring the boys in on visitors visas and apply again from here. That is were we are at the moment but we could really do with some good advice. We do not want to fall foul of the system a second time. It would be great if we could have a chat. There are a couple of questions that you may be able to help us with. My mobile number is 042 459 0037. Oh - I have a PR visa and my partner is an Australian Citizen.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
Hi Ian

Welcome to Sydney. Can I ask what sort of visa you are on? We just added our adopted daughter to our PR application and she was treated in the same way as our two biological daughters and given PR. Hope you get things sorted soon.

Are you children overseas adopted? Our daughter is Cambodian by birth. Would be happy to meet you guys for coffee sometime - send me a PM if you fancy meeting up. We live just north of Castle Hill in a suburb called Glenhaven.

Rudi
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

HI Ian,

You must live near me. We're in Belrose too! (and we have an adopted little boy). We moved here last year.