British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   New South Wales over Queensland.. Advise please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-south-wales-over-queensland-advise-please-918727/)

Anglio113 Oct 27th 2018 10:13 pm

New South Wales over Queensland.. Advise please

489 family visa completely out question now due to family member completely leaving us in the cold from Australia queensland .. Live in UK married with 2 kids, done English test and at the stage of expression of interest on the now 190 visa as we have 65 points so wouldn't be enough for 189 visa, we get state sponsorship on 190 but my wife skill is not on list for queensland but NSW, visited QUEENSLAND few month back but as we've been let down I want to find out about NSW and if its similar

Pollyana Oct 27th 2018 10:22 pm

Re: New South Wales over Queensland.. Advise please

Originally Posted by Anglio113 (Post 12584062)
489 family visa completely out question now due to family member completely leaving us in the cold from Australia queensland .. Live in UK married with 2 kids, done English test and at the stage of expression of interest on the now 190 visa as we have 65 points so wouldn't be enough for 189 visa, we get state sponsorship on 190 but my wife skill is not on list for queensland but NSW, visited QUEENSLAND few month back but as we've been let down I want to find out about NSW and if its similar

Its not that simple.
You say you visited Queensland. Queensland is HUGE! You'd be hard pushed to travel tip to tail in a day. And its very diverse. South east and Brisbane are more cosmopolitan,inland is just a word apart, far north is hot steamy humid and very different to the south east. And the its in the middle, small town stuff, coal towns, all different. Which bit did you visit and for how long? Where could you get work?
The same for New South Wales - Sydney, smaller cities like Newcastle, small inland towns - its similar because its Australia, but each area is still different.
You need to tell us what you want from Australia, and then people can give you more of an idea where to find it.

Anglio113 Oct 28th 2018 6:37 am

We visited the gold Coast and loved brisbane wernt impressed with above brisbane tbh living in a city would be far too much but a nice subarea be perfect we would look at living as high North in NSW as possible as jobs would be in gold Coast u think so Coolangatta is lowest in queensland and we visited not far off therec

old.sparkles Oct 28th 2018 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Anglio113 (Post 12584155)
We visited the gold Coast and loved brisbane wernt impressed with above brisbane tbh living in a city would be far too much but a nice subarea be perfect we would look at living as high North in NSW as possible as jobs would be in gold Coast u think so Coolangatta is lowest in queensland and we visited not far off therec

If you go for an NSW state sponsored visa, you would have to agree to live and work in the state for 2 years.

Whilst in the past this has been seen to be a moral obligation, it is possible that this is changing.

Anglio113 Oct 28th 2018 8:26 am

Yes we know we might even like NSW it's just we don't know how good schools are and if subarbs are like gold Coast

Pollyana Oct 28th 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Anglio113 (Post 12584177)
Yes we know we might even like NSW it's just we don't know how good schools are and if subarbs are like gold Coast

Again its a huge State and will have good, bad and indifferent schools. Should we assume you are looking at northern NSW? Near the Queensland border, if you want to be near the Gold Coast?
Are you looking for somewhere with the theme park/playground side of the Gold Coast, or more the beach/coffee shop angle?

moneypenny20 Oct 28th 2018 11:30 am

What skills do you and your wife have? What jobs will you be looking for? NNSW is very different to SEQLD. More small town laid back vibe and therefore less chance of local jobs. Many people who live in NNSW work on the Gold Coast, some even commute up to Brisbane - can't imagine why, a three+ hour commute a day sounds like my idea of hell but people do it. You wouldn't be in that position. If you are sponsored by NSW you have to work in NSW.

Anglio113 Oct 29th 2018 10:57 am

I'm in the care sector or working with troubled teenagers and my wife us a midwife so unfortunately 190 visa for queensland midwifery isn't on the list we would have to stay in NSW for 2 years but we would be going not knowing anything is or schools jobs anything which is putting us off moving now as my sibling has let us down greatly