Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to this and so daunted!

New to this and so daunted!

Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

JulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really nice
Smile New to this and so daunted!

Hey there!
Well I googled my way here as am trying so hard to get my head round all the info. that I keep finding about emigrating! I have to say...as helpful as everyone is I am just remaining daunted...doesn't bode well!
To cut what could be a long story short, I'm a nurse and my partner is a cabinetmaker, both of which are on the skilled occupation lists! I think our best chance of emigration comes from my career path to be fair. I'm just baffled by costs of doing so and what is the best route. From what I can gather, sponsorship involves me finding and securing a position before I have even left the UK and then I am likely to be held into contract with that job for a set amount of time......doing it independently just seems huge and very very expensive...how did all you expats manage to get your head round it?
I look forward to being able to make head or tail of this all, cause I cannot wait to get out of here and start again!
Jules
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: New to this and so daunted!

Hi, it looks as if you have a few choices regarding visa. Lucky you as not everyone is in that position.

There are pro and cons to each visa and you will have to way up which one suits your needs best.

If your in a hurry then the employer sponsored route is the cheapest and quickest, but you are tied to the employer for 2 years and it has some drawbacks. You should however not have any problem turning this into a Pr visa after 2 years.

If your not in a hurry then the skilled visa is the best route but it can take upto 18 months to get it. The drawback is that it costs alot more than the sponsored one although the advantages over the sponsored one probably make up for it.

Also check out if you qualify for a State sponsored visa as this maybe a cheaper alternative and your not tied to an employer but to the actual state you apply to. I don't know enough about them to give you any information.

In your situation, I would go with the skilled visa.

Last edited by mvagusta; Feb 1st 2011 at 4:01 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:22 pm
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we did the ens121 visa which is a PR visa and employer sponsered. It is daunting but it is dooable cant spell lol.

I did it and believe me I am not the brightest bulb in the box ( hubby shouting at me now telling me off )

I am a nurse and it can be done hun I did it with an employer because of the lack of experience cos I only qualified in sept 09 and we fly in 79 days and I start work on 9th may

But if we had waited for me because of the kids ages and my age I think we wont have done it for us it is a now or never situation but it is not easy and I still have times when I think OMG but these are few and getting fewer now its ju8st the emotion of leaving people and the prospect of starting a new job.

But you have come to the right place this is a warm safe place and is just like my security blanket and is one of my coping strategies to keep me sane and you can build some wonderful theraputic and not theraputic relationships on here.
Ask questions and we will answer.

Regarding nurse questions ask in the nurse forums. Best place for those types of questions.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

JulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really niceJulesMac is just really nice

Hey again!
Thank you for your replies....Avi you are as qualified as me then! I started in Sept 09.....I have looked around the specific bits on the nursing forum and it just seemed to be all about ILETS and people being very down on the way that nursing works over there, so I decided not to carry on reading!
I will go and have another look and post..but have 3 night shifts as of tonight so me thinks will be the latter end of the week now
Jules xxx
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

i know this isnt a nursing thread... But I'm a nurse so perhaps I can explain a bit about the "being down" on nursing here..

The nurzing culture in australia IS different. I'm notnsaying its better or worse but it is very different... It can take some time to adapt to that, during that time nurses tend to reflect on how they feel and reflect on the differences as partof the process of their adaptation to that australian. NUrsing culture. Dont be too hard on nurses here who struggle with that...

Back to the original question... The whole process IS expensive... Visa costs, medicals .... Flights, transpost set up costs.. Ita a HUGE drain on the finances..

But its worth it!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Hey Eddie,
not being down at ALL about people that struggle, I for one am not the sort of person to pass judgement on others, infact I pride myself on being one of those people who really does live by live and let live! I just know from experience and knowing myself, that listening to the negative that from what I saw outweighs the positive was not the way to go! That's not to say I have rose tinted glasses, it is to say that I have done my research on the differences out there already!
Anyhoooo....I hope I'm not getting off on the wrong foot and people are taking offence as that is far from what I was aiming to do..maybe my tone was a bit grrr...the joys of night shifts!!!!!
xx
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:55 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesMac
Hey Eddie,
not being down at ALL about people that struggle, I for one am not the sort of person to pass judgement on others, infact I pride myself on being one of those people who really does live by live and let live! I just know from experience and knowing myself, that listening to the negative that from what I saw outweighs the positive was not the way to go! That's not to say I have rose tinted glasses, it is to say that I have done my research on the differences out there already!
Anyhoooo....I hope I'm not getting off on the wrong foot and people are taking offence as that is far from what I was aiming to do..maybe my tone was a bit grrr...the joys of night shifts!!!!!
xx
Welcome to the journey,now go wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:01 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

But its worth it!

2nd lot of costs for me, so I bloody hope so
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

friendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nicefriendy is just really nice
Smile Re: New to this and so daunted!

welcome to B.E.Have you completed your application form to AHPRA yet as most job vacancies will only be interested if you have Australian registration. this is because it takes sooo long and i can vouch for that. i got offered a sponsorship last January and was hoping to have been in Sydney last September. I am still in the UK and finally got my nurse registration in Jan. its been a nightmare. the only consolation is my sponsorship are still keen to have me and understand it wasn't my fault for the delay.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:14 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesMac
Hey there!
Well I googled my way here as am trying so hard to get my head round all the info. that I keep finding about emigrating! I have to say...as helpful as everyone is I am just remaining daunted...doesn't bode well!

I look forward to being able to make head or tail of this all, cause I cannot wait to get out of here and start again!
Jules
Hi Jules, welcome to BE

If you can wait for a permanent visa you will have many more options once in Australia.
There is loads of info on this site - the search facility is fantastic, you can usually find a lot of info through there. Any thing else, just ask
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Psyche28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi julie,

I think the primary reason why nurses are down as of the moment -as you have read in this website is not really job related. I think its related to their nurse registration that takes a long time before it was granted. I have known some uk trained nurses who came here on working holiday visa and sponsored visa without a nurse registration from AHPRA. They have been struggling since they can't be hired by Australian health facilities because they don't have the registration. Hence, they were forced to work as nursing assistants and other jobs other than nursing.