Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to this site..would like to chat about moving to perth!!!

New to this site..would like to chat about moving to perth!!!

Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

threeofus is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face New to this site..would like to chat about moving to perth!!!

hi everyone!We are a family of 3, michelle, Neil and our 3 year old Mia. Looking to make the move to perth in approx 12 months, Have been reading threads, posts and so on on here for a while now, so thought i'd sign up and see if i can get chatting t anyone here who's planning on going or anyone there who can give advice etc...Neil and i are coming out for 2 weeks in April to perth, will be our first time in perth and Oz!!! Would love to hear from anyone... about anything! Especially if anyone can reccomend reasonable priced place to stay!!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:01 pm
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to this site..would like to chat about moving to perth!!!

Originally Posted by threeofus
hi everyone!We are a family of 3, michelle, Neil and our 3 year old Mia. Looking to make the move to perth in approx 12 months, Have been reading threads, posts and so on on here for a while now, so thought i'd sign up and see if i can get chatting t anyone here who's planning on going or anyone there who can give advice etc...Neil and i are coming out for 2 weeks in April to perth, will be our first time in perth and Oz!!! Would love to hear from anyone... about anything! Especially if anyone can reccomend reasonable priced place to stay!!
Hi. If yo have any specific Q's, I'll be happy to try to answer for you. Where are you wanting to stay when you come over in April? You going to stay in Perth city or are you wanting to stay in certain suburbs to see what living there could be like?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the site ! heres some short term places to rent once you arrive while you are looking for a proper rental here http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/western-australia/

When we first arrived we stayed at hillarys boat harbour for a week and found our own place pretty quickly. My only advice would be make sure you have all your documents ready, including a bank statement to prove you have money. This will be essential as you obviously wont have any australian refrences.

Also pick up a tom tom gps, it will make finding your way around in a new city so much easyer
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Hi threeofus,

We have just moved out here 4 weeks ago, and although cannot give you loads of background on Perth as experience is short we have very recent experience on the move. Happy to help with any specific questions. We are a young family and have loved what we have seen in the first few weeks. Good luck with any decisions!

Mands
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:37 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

hi there I come from your neck of the woods and live in perth, south of the river, anything I can help you with, just give me a shout
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DMH
Hi. If yo have any specific Q's, I'll be happy to try to answer for you. Where are you wanting to stay when you come over in April? You going to stay in Perth city or are you wanting to stay in certain suburbs to see what living there could be like?
Hi. Thanks for your reply!!
We cant really decide, we were looking at renting a house to see what it would be like "living" there, but as there will only be 2 of us, were finding it difficult to get a small place... everything is so big iver there!! Which were not complaining about as when we move that will be fantastic!!!
Anything you can reccomend, i think the suburbs would be better, we dont mind north or south really as we are going to travel around and have a look at lots of places!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:01 am
DMH
Forum Regular

DMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Thanks for your reply!!
We cant really decide, we were looking at renting a house to see what it would be like "living" there, but as there will only be 2 of us, were finding it difficult to get a small place... everything is so big iver there!! Which were not complaining about as when we move that will be fantastic!!!
Anything you can reccomend, i think the suburbs would be better, we dont mind north or south really as we are going to travel around and have a look at lots of places!!
I don't want to get caught up in a suburb v suburb, south of the river v north debate, which woul dhappen if I recommended something. Some people can get quite passionate. Whatever you choose, just get out and about through your two weeks and make sure you do as much as possible and enjoy yourselves!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

We have been here for 5 weeks now and would be happy to help in answering any questions you may have.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DMH
I don't want to get caught up in a suburb v suburb, south of the river v north debate, which woul dhappen if I recommended something. Some people can get quite passionate. Whatever you choose, just get out and about through your two weeks and make sure you do as much as possible and enjoy yourselves!
Hi Again!We've just been looking at some holiday rentals fr the 2 weeks holiday. Have found 3 we liked and sent enquiries, altho, not having been before we are slightly nervous about areas. The ones we found are in Belmont, Maylands and South Perth??? We thought it'd be an idea to stay kind of close to the city. Bearing in mind we will just be using the place as a base for exploring all over perth any comments on these areas would be gratefully recieved!! Many Thanks.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you likely to be working? That will make a huge difference in where you look to live. If you're working in Rockingham you don't want to be living in Butler - unless you like to take very long commutes.

Come to Perth, stay close to the city when you arrive and take drives around areas you might be interested in during the day and in the evenings. You'll get a better feel for what the areas are like if you look at them at different times of the day.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where are you likely to be working? That will make a huge difference in where you look to live. If you're working in Rockingham you don't want to be living in Butler - unless you like to take very long commutes.

Come to Perth, stay close to the city when you arrive and take drives around areas you might be interested in during the day and in the evenings. You'll get a better feel for what the areas are like if you look at them at different times of the day.
have a look at ozstayz
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:57 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Again!We've just been looking at some holiday rentals fr the 2 weeks holiday. Have found 3 we liked and sent enquiries, altho, not having been before we are slightly nervous about areas. The ones we found are in Belmont, Maylands and South Perth??? We thought it'd be an idea to stay kind of close to the city. Bearing in mind we will just be using the place as a base for exploring all over perth any comments on these areas would be gratefully recieved!! Many Thanks.
Of those 3 I'd pick South Perth. Equidistant to everywhere and a lovely area.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your input. We have decided on a lovley little apartment right beside the river in South Perth. Close to Narrows Bridge so hopefully this will mean we have good access to the city and are quite central to check out the North and South Suburbs! Just the car hire to arrange now!! Happy New Year to all!