Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Angry New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

Hi

Thought I would have a gripe online - We are lucky as we have our visas, currently going through all the preparation involved with uprooting life and landing in Oz.

We decided we where going to have a month out in Thailand on-route, to relax, have holidays we have been denying ourselves for years whilst saving pennies, buy whole new wardrobes for our new life in the southern hemisphere (apart from some winter gear being shipped).

OH went to GP for checking on prescriptions, shots for holiday - he is diabetic and is planning on taking at least three months supply of his two types of insulin and pen needle replacements and testing strip kits (with needles). His GP advised him that he can not put his insulin in the Hold as the temperature difference would ruin it. However security measures state you can only take in your hand luggage what is required for flight.

Now surely OH is not the only diabetic to fly since the whole extra security checked in - it could be the type of insulin he takes requires careful storage, but I am sure lots of others must be taking actrapid and Lanctus.

Have tried to get through to Thai Air, British Airways and BAA (heathrow security) to discuss this situation and I am not getting any useful feed back at all!!

Thai Air said to supply list of equipment and medication he wants to carry - wouldnt put in writing ok with them as not their place to do so and refered us to check in security

BAA in Heathrow have not responded to any of my email queries and cant find a telephone number to call them.

Enquiries at Heathrow said that as have one-way visa, month hols in Thailand, and letter from GP stating his insulin cant be stored in the hold should be ok but wouldnt put in writing - refered back to BAA

British Airways (Newcastle to Heathrow flight) - can never get through on main number - permanently on music hold, tried for over 25 minutes yesterday again. They are not responding to any email queires I am sending.

I know they are busy - I know it is security - I know insulin is liquid, but they will be sealed in prescription boxes - in blister packs - in glass bottles.

Can anyone help with a contact email / telephone number or any wise person could give me advise on what to try next - please help

Paula
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:17 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all
Default Re: New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

If you check out the BBC's website there is a piece in the news section that they may be relaxing the hand baggage restrictions next week. It looks like you can take the larger bags and also toiletries etc. So you may be ok to put the medicine in your hand luggage.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seaangel
If you check out the BBC's website there is a piece in the news section that they may be relaxing the hand baggage restrictions next week. It looks like you can take the larger bags and also toiletries etc. So you may be ok to put the medicine in your hand luggage.

Hope this helps!
Bless you for your reply - will jump straight to BBC new to check it out, why couldnt Heathrow enquiries tell me this?

Fingers crossed.

Paula
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Smile Re: New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

Originally Posted by Downies
Hi

Thought I would have a gripe online - We are lucky as we have our visas, currently going through all the preparation involved with uprooting life and landing in Oz.

We decided we where going to have a month out in Thailand on-route, to relax, have holidays we have been denying ourselves for years whilst saving pennies, buy whole new wardrobes for our new life in the southern hemisphere (apart from some winter gear being shipped).

OH went to GP for checking on prescriptions, shots for holiday - he is diabetic and is planning on taking at least three months supply of his two types of insulin and pen needle replacements and testing strip kits (with needles). His GP advised him that he can not put his insulin in the Hold as the temperature difference would ruin it. However security measures state you can only take in your hand luggage what is required for flight.

Now surely OH is not the only diabetic to fly since the whole extra security checked in - it could be the type of insulin he takes requires careful storage, but I am sure lots of others must be taking actrapid and Lanctus.

Have tried to get through to Thai Air, British Airways and BAA (heathrow security) to discuss this situation and I am not getting any useful feed back at all!!

Thai Air said to supply list of equipment and medication he wants to carry - wouldnt put in writing ok with them as not their place to do so and refered us to check in security

BAA in Heathrow have not responded to any of my email queries and cant find a telephone number to call them.

Enquiries at Heathrow said that as have one-way visa, month hols in Thailand, and letter from GP stating his insulin cant be stored in the hold should be ok but wouldnt put in writing - refered back to BAA

British Airways (Newcastle to Heathrow flight) - can never get through on main number - permanently on music hold, tried for over 25 minutes yesterday again. They are not responding to any email queires I am sending.

I know they are busy - I know it is security - I know insulin is liquid, but they will be sealed in prescription boxes - in blister packs - in glass bottles.

Can anyone help with a contact email / telephone number or any wise person could give me advise on what to try next - please help

Paula

My father has just come back from holiday and was permitted to take his whole week's worth of insulin in his handluggage - all that he required was a letter from his GP alongwith one for my Mum to state all the medication they were on.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

Originally Posted by travelbug
My father has just come back from holiday and was permitted to take his whole week's worth of insulin in his handluggage - all that he required was a letter from his GP alongwith one for my Mum to state all the medication they were on.
Thank you for your reply! I knew this must have come up with other diabetics. Could I ask which UK airport he flew from?

Paula
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant futureSara1970 has a brilliant future

Hi - some info here -
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=2006

A month is thailand on route sounds great - hope things get sorted for you both.
Sara
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Smile Re: New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

Thank you for your reply! I knew this must have come up with other diabetics. Could I ask which UK airport he flew from?

Paula
He only flew from Stansted as a European Holiday but i see no reason why the same thing wouldnt apply for other airports. A letter from your GP could explain why the Insulin would get damaged in the hold, and to be honest in the case of delays etc - there's absolutely no way they'd expect people to survive on meds etc for just the flight duration. I dont think any airline would want to be responsible or sued for any incident caused by lack of medication.
personally i would phone the airline and explain situation and see if they're happy for a GP letter. Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: New Security Measures caused a major block on our migration plans

Originally Posted by Sara1970
Hi - some info here -
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=2006

A month is thailand on route sounds great - hope things get sorted for you both.
Sara
Thank you for the link - I never thought to check out NHS help.

Will be making sure the letter from the GP is very very clear that insulin is his, and will be damaged in the hold to point of not being able to use it.

Paula
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the link - I never thought to check out NHS help.

Will be making sure the letter from the GP is very very clear that insulin is his, and will be damaged in the hold to point of not being able to use it.

Paula
You can take insulin/needles blah blah for diabetes in the cabin so long as you have a letter from your GP stating that it is for medical needs.

I have just checked on the BA internal forum I use for you and it is set in stone you can do that. Also my MIL is a diabetic and has never had a problem with this even to the States and even with the new restrictions in place.

I will pm you later with more info