Reload this Page >

A new relationship

A new relationship

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Rob McKay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A new relationship

Dear All

I'm a new member and this is my first post...so here goes!

I was awarded my skilled class 136 visa back in May of this year (I'm an accountant) and was actually offered a job last Friday to go and work in Melbourne (my preferred location!!) with Deloitte. Fantastic news and I am over the moon! As with all things though, there's a big but...

...I have recently begun a new relationship (6 months) and things are going really well. My girlfriend has obviously expressed concern about me still wanting to emigrate, although has now said that she would come out with me (if possible) and see how she likes it in Oz (she'll love it I'm sure!). I have been looking at the DIMIA website about what visa options are open to her. From what I can see, due to the length of our relationship being less than a year and the fact that she's over 30, she could only come out on a visitor's visa. If this is the case, that means she couldn't work and that could be disastrous as she would be left alone all day. Is anybody out there aware of a visa that we could look into that would allow her some scope to work? We have thought seriously about buying a small business - would a temporary business visa be possible??

I'm desperate for her to come out to Oz with me and experience the lifestyle so if there is anybody out there that has gone through something similar, I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks for reading!

Rob
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Relationship

Hi Rob

Great that you'll be going to Melbourne to live start a new life.

However you do seem to be right about a few things regarding your new girlfriend if i were you i would contact either Alan Colett or Helen O'Hara at GoMatilda they are very helpful and friendly.

[email protected]

Alan posts a lot of thread on this site email him direct.

Good Luck

Angela
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:14 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Relationship

Rob, also try posting this on the Australia/NZ immigration forum you'll probably get more luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 12:49 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A new relationship

Originally posted by Rob McKay
Dear All

I'm a new member and this is my first post...so here goes!

I was awarded my skilled class 136 visa back in May of this year (I'm an accountant) and was actually offered a job last Friday to go and work in Melbourne (my preferred location!!) with Deloitte. Fantastic news and I am over the moon! As with all things though, there's a big but...

...I have recently begun a new relationship (6 months) and things are going really well. My girlfriend has obviously expressed concern about me still wanting to emigrate, although has now said that she would come out with me (if possible) and see how she likes it in Oz (she'll love it I'm sure!). I have been looking at the DIMIA website about what visa options are open to her. From what I can see, due to the length of our relationship being less than a year and the fact that she's over 30, she could only come out on a visitor's visa. If this is the case, that means she couldn't work and that could be disastrous as she would be left alone all day. Is anybody out there aware of a visa that we could look into that would allow her some scope to work? We have thought seriously about buying a small business - would a temporary business visa be possible??

I'm desperate for her to come out to Oz with me and experience the lifestyle so if there is anybody out there that has gone through something similar, I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks for reading!

Rob
I'd be very wary of even contemplating moving to the other side of the world to start a new life with someone I'd only known for 6 months.

But hey - thats just me! Fill your boots sonny!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by NedKelly63
I'd be very wary of even contemplating moving to the other side of the world to start a new life with someone I'd only known for 6 months.

Many thanks for your advice Angela - I've emailed Gomatilda to ask for their views.

I've known this girl for over 3 years, but it's only recently that things have taken off...so feel comfortable about starting a new life with her. In respect of filling my boots NedKelly63...I'm doing my best!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your advice Angela - I've emailed Gomatilda to ask for their views.

I've known this girl for over 3 years, but it's only recently that things have taken off...so feel comfortable about starting a new life with her. In respect of filling my boots NedKelly63...I'm doing my best!!!
Go for it Rob!

I met my husband when we were working in Melbourne. After 2 months he had to return to the UK while I could either renew the contract in Melbourne or return to Hong Kong (where I'm originally from) to work on local projects there.

I chose the 3rd option - took a few months' leave from my Hong Kong based company - to spend time to get to know JTL better. Luckily for me, I was offered another contract in the UK to continue on the project which started in Melbourne. However at the time, we were only assuming that he would be working in London/Glasgow/Belfast and I was going to stay/travel with him for 3 months to see how things would turn out. We never thought the project would offer me another position.

So if you know you're right for each other, go for it and who knows what may happen?

Whatever you and your girlfriend decide to do, I wish you all the best.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rob, No problem glad to help.

As you will find there are a lot of plonkers on this site but not everyone.

If you've known your girlfriend for 3 years that will at least help you with regards her going with you, as at least she has not been a complete stranger to you, you have just taken a friendship one stage further.

I hope that you will find GoMatilda as helpful as we have. Our case was not exactly simple and Helen O'Hara has been so helpful and supportive, even now that our visas have been granted and we have recieved them she is only too willing to help further with any problems or questions we have.

Angela
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 3:17 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NedKelly63

Dont worry - I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) after we got engaged. We'd only been together 3 months and have now been happily married for nearly two years!

So go for it I say, hope you find the answers you need!

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Rob

I would be interested to know what you get back from the agency. I am in kind of the same situation. Though am currently applying for PR.
Have know the girl for 8 years but only in last couple of months got into a relationship. Though this time was spent abroad/in different cities do contact was none exisitant for many years.

Just confused myself whether to wait another year & then apply together (though I havent even mentioned it to her yet- though she knows my thoughts in the past about this). Then though I might miss the cut & the whole thing might be messed up.

Confusing & difficult to live Ur life inbetween countries aint it!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:49 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Couldnt she get a 12 month work visa?
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:58 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Siren
Couldnt she get a 12 month work visa?

If you mean a WHV, then not if shes over thirty She could probably get an extended visitor visa though with no hassles (but no work rights unfortunately)
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Dmartyos
Rob

I would be interested to know what you get back from the agency. I am in kind of the same situation. Though am currently applying for PR.
Have know the girl for 8 years but only in last couple of months got into a relationship. Though this time was spent abroad/in different cities do contact was none exisitant for many years.

Just confused myself whether to wait another year & then apply together (though I havent even mentioned it to her yet- though she knows my thoughts in the past about this). Then though I might miss the cut & the whole thing might be messed up.

Hi Dmartyos

Just heard back from the agency and as I expected the news wasn't that encouraging. Basically I would need to prove a de facto relationship of at least 1 year, so my best bet is to have her come out with me on a visitor's visa and then apply to sponsor her for a spouse visa once we can demonstrate we've been together for a year.

I don't know whether that helps your decision or not. One thing they did say, which you may wish to bear in mind, is that you need to demonstrate that you're relationship is more than just girlfriend/boyfriend. You need to show that you've lived together and have joint finances etc (same accounts I suppose) and that you're effectively living as husband and wife.

Does this help? At the end of the day, if you're in the process of applying for PR, you could always have your girlfriend come out on a visitor's visa and take it from there. If something else comes to light, I'll write again.

Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 8:25 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dmartyos
Rob

Apply now cos it can take forever to get the visa.

If you and your girlfriend last the course you should be able to add her in later or do a defacto spouse visa (or maybe prospective spouse )

If the relationship doesnt last for any reason, then at least you wont be kicking yourself for putting the visa on hold.

And if it does last and you get the visa dont forget you can validate and then if its PR you have 5 years to make the move.