Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New PR requirements for citizenship

New PR requirements for citizenship

Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:17 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New PR requirements for citizenship

I know this has probably been discussed - that soon PRs will need 3 years in Australia to apply for citizenship, but my question is:

how long do you think it will take for the new laws to come into effect?

We are a 2.5 months away from being here 2 years as PR and not sure if wee'll nmake it before it changes to 3 years.

Any politically savvy types have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:23 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New PR requirements for citizenship

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I know this has probably been discussed - that soon PRs will need 3 years in Australia to apply for citizenship, but my question is:

We are a 2.5 months away from being here 2 years as PR and not sure if wee'll nmake it before it changes to 3 years.

Cheers

Steve
I'm afraid I don't know the answer but to be safe, do you know you can book an appointment for your interview in advance?

Download the docs off the internet and start getting everything else together that you need ie birth/marriage certificates, passports.

We had booked our interview the day before it was announced. I think we booked it about 3-4 weeks in advance. Just had our letter on Friday to say that we have been accepted as citizens we just need the ceromony to make it final but we are in.

Louise
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:31 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ljj
I'm afraid I don't know the answer but to be safe, do you know you can book an appointment for your interview in advance?

Download the docs off the internet and start getting everything else together that you need ie birth/marriage certificates, passports.

We had booked our interview the day before it was announced. I think we booked it about 3-4 weeks in advance. Just had our letter on Friday to say that we have been accepted as citizens we just need the ceromony to make it final but we are in.

Louise
That's a good idea Louise, though I reckon if the legislation is passed before we actually have the interview, which would be early Jan I guess (2 year mark) then we would have to wait still another year. I'll check it out though.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:25 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz

Cheers

Steve
JAJ has the information,
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we have 5 weeks to go, so hoping it doesn't change too soon ( we have been here 5.5 years- mainly as sponsored, so I feel we should get extra credit for that)
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

From what I can gather it will probably come into effect January 2006.

Katie
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Booking an interview won't make any difference.

- you need to *lodge* the application (this can be done before an interview is available, as you can apply by lodging it at a DIMIA office, or online) before the law change takes effect
- if you are a waiting for a document such as a birth certificate or overseas police check, and the law change is imminent, you can apply anyway and sort out the outstanding document afterwards. Things will just take longer to process.

Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:37 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

but you can't lodge your application until you fulfill the requirements (i believe, and am happy to stand corrected), which is why i arranged my interview for the very day i made the requirements, and lodged the application there and then. got the approval letter 3 days later.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Booking an interview won't make any difference.

- you need to *lodge* the application (this can be done before an interview is available, as you can apply by lodging it at a DIMIA office, or online) before the law change takes effect
Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
but you can't lodge your application until you fulfill the requirements (i believe, and am happy to stand corrected), which is why i arranged my interview for the very day i made the requirements, and lodged the application there and then. got the approval letter 3 days later.

You can't lodge until you meet the *residence* requirements. That's quite correct.

However, if you meet the residence requirements but you're waiting for an overseas police check, or a birth certificate from overseas, or something like that, you can lodge and sort out the outstanding document later on.

Similarly, if DIMIA can't give you an interview appointment for weeks, you can still lodge the application first.

This will become an important issue when the law is passed and the new law takes effect - those who delay applying for *any* reason will have to wait the extra year.

Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Hey JAJ,

Can you confirm this comes into effect from the 1st Jan or is there no date set yet? Whats your guestimate?

my 2yrs is in July next year, bummer.

I was actually thinking about this on Sunday in a big customs queue when I got back from a wedding in the UK. The benefits and woes of getting citizenship over PR. Other than the obvious one of making a commitment to Oz as our home, the only change I could see was a passport for life instead of keeping an eye on your visa, no big queues at customs, having to vote (pos or neg?!?!), and working in certain government/defence jobs.

Anyone know of anything else?

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can't lodge until you meet the *residence* requirements. That's quite correct.

However, if you meet the residence requirements but you're waiting for an overseas police check, or a birth certificate from overseas, or something like that, you can lodge and sort out the outstanding document later on.

Similarly, if DIMIA can't give you an interview appointment for weeks, you can still lodge the application first.

This will become an important issue when the law is passed and the new law takes effect - those who delay applying for *any* reason will have to wait the extra year.

Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2005, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Other than the obvious one of making a commitment to Oz as our home, the only change I could see was a passport for life instead of keeping an eye on your visa, no big queues at customs, having to vote (pos or neg?!?!), and working in certain government/defence jobs.

Yes, no UK Inheritance Tax
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Hey JAJ,

Can you confirm this comes into effect from the 1st Jan or is there no date set yet? Whats your guestimate?

my 2yrs is in July next year, bummer.

I was actually thinking about this on Sunday in a big customs queue when I got back from a wedding in the UK. The benefits and woes of getting citizenship over PR. Other than the obvious one of making a commitment to Oz as our home, the only change I could see was a passport for life instead of keeping an eye on your visa, no big queues at customs, having to vote (pos or neg?!?!), and working in certain government/defence jobs.

There is no date yet for it to come into effect as it is not yet law. I would guess it'll be in before next July though.

I don't care any more, they don't want me till 2009, then I don't want their passport. I'll just carry on using my ice UK one.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:16 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Yes, no UK Inheritance Tax
wot u mean by no UK inheritance tax. I only just learned from mr UK taxman that I don't have to pay CG on my property there, lucky my bloody wanker accountant was on holiday or I wouldn't have phoned Inland revenue and found out, sometimes I wonder! they call themselves professionals. Dickhead has cost me thousands, I would have sold up 2 years ago.

Slater
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: New PR requirements for citizenship

Originally Posted by Slater
wot u mean by no UK inheritance tax. I only just learned from mr UK taxman that I don't have to pay CG on my property there, lucky my bloody wanker accountant was on holiday or I wouldn't have phoned Inland revenue and found out, sometimes I wonder! they call themselves professionals. Dickhead has cost me thousands, I would have sold up 2 years ago.

Slater
Well make sure you don't go back to live for 5 years or they WILL charge you CGT!!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:33 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Well make sure you don't go back to live for 5 years or they WILL charge you CGT!!!
Yeah, he told me that to, No Worries on that one!

Slater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.