Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Passport Regulations ??

New Passport Regulations ??

Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:13 pm
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all
Default New Passport Regulations ??

A friend told me that because we are Au Citizens and flying to Scotland in June that we will need Aus passports that British ones are no longer accepted?
I find this hard to believe - anyone know for sure??

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:39 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Passport Regulations ??

As an Australian Citizen you need to use an Australian passport to leave and re enter Australia. You can use your UK passports to enter the UK. Do a quick search, this comes up occasionally and some people have been lucky and used UK passport and Aus Citizenship Certificates. It's not advisable though.

Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grossenbol
A friend told me that because we are Au Citizens and flying to Scotland in June that we will need Aus passports that British ones are no longer accepted?

Thanks
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

You can enter or leave the UK on either passport.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grossenbol

Thanks
You need an Australian passport for getting back into Australia, nothing new about it.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point........ got to go to the UK, France, and Holland, and Singapore over the next few weeks in a single trip. Didn't really think about which passport I would take and where I would use either one (Oz and UK). I think I'll just present both at each desk and let them decide.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:07 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's a good point........ got to go to the UK, France, and Holland, and Singapore over the next few weeks in a single trip. Didn't really think about which passport I would take and where I would use either one (Oz and UK). I think I'll just present both at each desk and let them decide.
Just use you Aus one to leave Aus, UK one all over Europe (no restrictions and shorter queues - usually) and then enter Aus on the Aus one.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't do that though. You will have completed a Landing card on which you will have given details of your landing passport. As others have said, you simply use the country's passport of the country you are landing in unless travelling in Europe in which case you use your British Passport.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:40 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can't do that though. You will have completed a Landing card on which you will have given details of your landing passport. As others have said, you simply use the country's passport of the country you are landing in unless travelling in Europe in which case you use your British Passport.
Thanks all, have recently just got 2 British passports for 2 of the family, what a waste of money - never been used - bah
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
...... And Asia?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

...... And Asia?
What about Asia?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

...... And Asia?
I use my Australian one.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

...... And Asia?
No idea. Check it out, one may be better than the other. I know when we went to Brunei I went through one line free of charge with my UK passport whilst my daughters had to go through a different line with their Aussie one and pay for a visa.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

I have travelled with both Oz and British passport, leaving and entering Oz using my Oz passport, and using the British passport all through Europe, we travelled with friends who only used an Oz passport and it made not one bit of difference which passport was used in Europe, in fact the lines were shorter for the foreign passport holders, I guess most people travel with their British one in Europe making the line longer.
When my British passport expires I won't bother renewing it, I'm going to just travel on my Oz one, just as easy and saves the expense of renewing the Brit one.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I use my Australian one.
I do too, with Australia being so much closer to Asia then the UK I think if you got into any sort of trouble in Asia the Oz Government will be quicker and maybe more informed to assist.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee
I do too, with Australia being so much closer to Asia then the UK I think if you got into any sort of trouble in Asia the Oz Government will be quicker and maybe more informed to assist.
If you have both with you though you can claim assitance from either government if necessary. I remember having a conversation about this at work once, when I worked in a unit that was involved in repatriating people stranded by such as the Bali and Indian bombings. One of the guys was a Brit who has been in Aus over 20 years, doing that kind of job for most of it, and his advice was to keep up the British passport because in many places the UK is faster when repatriating nationals, especially if it involves use of Navy ships.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.