Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The New Otani - Singapore

The New Otani - Singapore

Old Jul 26th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default The New Otani - Singapore

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this hotel as we will be staying there for two nights in September?
Thanks in advance
Rach xxx
Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:20 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The New Otani - Singapore

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this hotel as we will be staying there for two nights in September?
Thanks in advance
Rach xxx
Certainly looks very classy on the Website.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes it does look posh doesn't it! best news is there is internet access and smoking rooms!
thanks for your reply
Rach x
Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:34 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes it does look posh doesn't it! best news is there is internet access and smoking rooms!
thanks for your reply
Rach x

Hi Rach,

Could you send me a link as we are also hoping to spend two nights in Singapore. I had looked at the Holiday in on Orchard Street but a hotel with internet access and smoking rooms sounds even better

Cheers

Dawn
Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Try the link below, you will have to copy and paste it into your browser

www.newotani.co.jp

Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Just in case anyone else wants a hotel that allows smoking and has internet access....We stayed here last year and cant praise the place enough...The service was second to none....Its only a block off Orchard Rd.

http://www.sha.org.sg/shavilla_home.htm
Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:03 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Try the link below, you will have to copy and paste it into your browser

www.newotani.co.jp

Cheers Rach,

Will have a look now.

Dawn
Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yes I know it well! Very good location to Clarke Quay, satay club, the river, a bus ride or MRT to city. We've eaten at the Hotel's restaurant "Trader Vics"- EXPENSIVE but great food. It is part of a shopping centre too. Its very popular with Asian - Japanese tourist groups and stopover Brits. A friend of mine stayed there on her stopover to OZ and said it was good.

You could take a walk over the bridge and go to Brewerkz its an American restaurant with beer brewing in large vats- great food, good value beer at certain times of the day. There's an Indian Temple across the road and Fort Canning Hill to climb.
Enjoy
Old Jul 26th 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
Just in case anyone else wants a hotel that allows smoking and has internet access....We stayed here last year and cant praise the place enough...The service was second to none....Its only a block off Orchard Rd.

http://www.sha.org.sg/shavilla_home.htm
Hels sure is a lovely place.
We used to go to the SHATEC restaurant in Orchard road for great value meals served by the trainee waiters.(they do great lunches - )
Our son did a one week chefs course through his school and part of it was at SHATEC - he learnt how to set a table and be a waiter(he then went on to the Ritz to cook a meal in one of their kitchens restaurants - with the parents turning up to eat the meal - it was an experience he'll never forget!:scared: )
Old Jul 26th 2004, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helinuk
Hels sure is a lovely place.
We used to go to the SHATEC restaurant in Orchard road for great value meals served by the trainee waiters.(they do great lunches - )
Our son did a one week chefs course through his school and part of it was at SHATEC - he learnt how to set a table and be a waiter(he then went on to the Ritz to cook a meal in one of their kitchens restaurants - with the parents turning up to eat the meal - it was an experience he'll never forget!:scared: )

When we arrived at the hotel it was like 7am in the morning, and of course our room wasnt available as I had forgotten to tell them that we were flying in so early. We were so tired and just hanging for a shower, so they put us into a twin room until later in the afternoon and our double room became available. That was just really good service in my book....

I bet he had a wonderful time in the Ritz....Actually that should be one thing I should do before I leave the UK...go and have tea at the Ritz....I have been here 3 1/2 yrs and still havent done very many of the touristy things here in London as I have been so damn busy working!!

Hels
xxx
Old Jul 26th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually that should be one thing I should do before I leave the UK...go and have tea at the Ritz....I have been here 3 1/2 yrs and still havent done very many of the touristy things here in London as I have been so damn busy working!!

Hels
xxx [/QUOTE]

I've never done that either and I'm English!
We went to Greenwich last w/e and Henley this w/e. We thought we ought to see uk tourist sights before we move abroad again! I think our teenagers should see the historic sights, so we've been doing those since we moved back here.
When we lived in Singapore I used to find somewhere to visit on my days off or during the childrens holidays.
Trouble is there are just so many tourists in UK in summer you spend so much time queing to get into places! Try to go out and see a bit of uk before you go back to oz. Have you travelled through Europe?
Old Jul 26th 2004, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Rach xxx
Stayed there a couple of times - in 1995 and 2001. It's an okay hotel in an execellent location, but it is definitely not a classy hotel, IMO. Photos are deceiving sometimes.

It's probably just a 3 or at most 3.5 star hotel. Both times I thought the room was very dark even when all the lights were on. The reception area was nice though. Didn't use any facilities or services because there was a lot more happening outside the hotel than inside.

I had no complains as I didn't pay much anyway - it was GBP30 or 40 a night for a double room. After staying at the Raffles as part of our honeymoon last year though, I'm not sure if I can go back... LOL!

Seriously, would still consider staying at New Otani if I am stopping in Singapore again. It's value for money and JTL loves Clark Quay.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:02 am
Just Joined

PopeyeDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've stayed at the New Otani 3 times. I really like the place. Every time I've checked in there they've always told me my room had been upgraded as some of the more expensive ones were free. Very nice rooms they are as well. It's a short walk to some nice bars and restaurants as well. Worth doing one of the sight-seeing trips that do pick-ups from the hotel if you have the time as well.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:18 am
Just Joined

rydel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance
Rach xxx
If you would like convenience like shoppings, then you should stay in hotels in the Orchard area which is within walking distance to all the shops. The New Otani is ok but not as convenient for shoppings. But then again, Singapore's transport system is very efficient; you can get a cab anytime to anywhere.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

We stayed there for our stopover during our honeymoon trip to Australia in 2001. They upgraded us to one of their expensive rooms, and provided champagne and a cake (!). We liked it and would definitely stay there again.

love sophia xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.