British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   New to BE - Moving to Darwin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-moving-darwin-686179/)

rach macadie Sep 20th 2010 12:58 pm

New to BE - Moving to Darwin

hi everyone

my husband has just got a new job in darwin so we'll be moving there after the new year, obviously im a little nervous about the idea!:( we have two children aged 1 and 3. Darwin was the least place i wanted to move out to in australia im just hoping there are other brits out there to meet and become friends with so it feels a little like home!!!

im open to as much informantion as possible, best and worst suburbs, child care, things to do with the kids, etc etc!! please help i want to be able to look forward to this move!

rachel x :)

Sherlock Holmes Sep 20th 2010 1:03 pm

Re: moving to darwin

Hi Rachel and welcome to B.E. :)

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I don't know anything about Darwin (though guess weather-wise it woud be like Singapore).

We have lots of happy expats in Darwin. You'll be just fine.

Alistair.

Sue Sep 20th 2010 1:05 pm

Re: New to BE - Moving to Darwin

Hi and welcome to BE,

I don't know anything about Darwin I'm afraid, but we've got fab members here at BE and I know that some of them will be along soon to give your some pointers. In the meantime please take some time and familiarize yourself with our site. We've got blogs, a great wiki, Articles, Photogallery and much more. You can find links to all the great stuff on BE on the menu bar that runs along the top of the page.

We've got volunteer Moderators and Concierges who are here to help you if you have any site questions. You can find their names in the bottom right of the Australian forum. If you need to ask a question you can click on their names and (once you've made 3 posts) you can send them a private message. Or you can post your questions anytime in our Site Feedback forum. There is generally a moderators rooming the halls 24/7 so we will get back to your as soon as we can.

Sue

pdels Oct 5th 2010 10:06 pm

Hi Rachel, we're new top this forum as well and also Darwin bound (subject to visa of course!) We have 3 kids so hopefully will be able to get some good advice from others on here regarding schools, good areas to live etc. All exciting but scary stuff!! Hope you manage to find out the info you need and hope all goes well with your plans and move
Paul & Donna

Wendy Oct 6th 2010 2:30 am

Hi Guys,

Someone from BE moved to Darwin recently (Mandy), maybe you could give her a shout. She's a lovely lady, and will help you out if she can, I'm sure.

You can find her thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672982

Why don't you post on there and say hello :)

rach macadie Oct 12th 2010 9:30 pm

hi paul and donna good to hear from u, its nice to know that there are other brits moving to Darwin!! what age's are your children? weve been searching the net for nice suburbs, things to see and do etc and im feeling a little better about the move! are you guys moving there for work? when do you intend on moving ?

keep in touch

Rachel :)

geordie mandy Oct 12th 2010 10:19 pm

Ive been living in Darwin since June and i am more than happy to help any one venturing up north.
Im currently compiling a list of usefull websites and will post them on BE once its is completed.

I will say Darwin is a very family freindly place to live however it is expensive and if you are coming over on a work sponsor then please get as much financial support from employers such as subsidised accomadation ,fuel assistance and money towards childcare.
Make sure your new home has aircon cos you will need it. It does get hot but im slowly getting used to the heat now but now we are entering the wet season(early by all accounts) i do have days where im just shattered by the heat.
So far ive found that if you are open towards people and accept people for who they are you will get on fine up here.
Feel free to PM me about specific questions and i will try my best to help.
If i dont know the answer im sure ive freinds up here that will.
Mandy

Budawang Oct 15th 2010 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy (Post 8914150)
Ive been living in Darwin since June and i am more than happy to help any one venturing up north.
Im currently compiling a list of usefull websites and will post them on BE once its is completed.

I will say Darwin is a very family freindly place to live however it is expensive and if you are coming over on a work sponsor then please get as much financial support from employers such as subsidised accomadation ,fuel assistance and money towards childcare.
Make sure your new home has aircon cos you will need it. It does get hot but im slowly getting used to the heat now but now we are entering the wet season(early by all accounts) i do have days where im just shattered by the heat.
So far ive found that if you are open towards people and accept people for who they are you will get on fine up here.
Feel free to PM me about specific questions and i will try my best to help.
If i dont know the answer im sure ive freinds up here that will.
Mandy

Spare a thought for us in Canberra: there are wet snowflakes falling here at the moment and it's COLD.

Mandy, I particularly liked your update thread and hope you'll post another update soon.