Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New migrant tax - part year resident

New migrant tax - part year resident

Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default New migrant tax - part year resident

Hi, I guess many of you went through a similar situation to mine in your first year of moving to Oz. I made a permanent move to NSW in Nov 2011 and was working overseas prior to this. I know I have to declare my worldwide income in my tax return post my arrival date in Australia. What I wanted to know is..... do I need to declare my foreign income prior to my arrival in the same financial year i.e. for Jul-Oct 2011 period? I was earning interest on bank deposits in Oz from 2 years before and was paying 10% non-resident tax till Oct 11.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:26 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New migrant tax - part year resident

* Income arising outside Australia prior to arrival is not taxable until you become a resident (assuming you are not a temporary tax resident - as defined).

* Australian bank interest prior to arrival not assessable, as the 10% withholding tax deals with the liability while a non-resident.

* In case of need, see www.gmtax.com.au

Best regards.