Reload this Page >

New Member off to Perth

New Member off to Perth

Old Jun 21st 2003, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Tracy69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Member off to Perth

Hi There

Great to have found your website. Am currently living in (sunny) Aberdeen, Scotland and moving with hubby (95% sure) to Perth in about September 2003.
The daunting thing for me is that I have never been to Oz and have no time to check it out before we relocate for work/lifestyle reasons (we are fed up of being oil widows and being apart most of the year).
Being a bit of a "culture vulture" and arty farty what worries me the most about relocating to Perth are all the things I am reading about it being a little suburbian, narrow minded, very "nice"......surely it cant be as parochial as Aberdeen??!!
Lived in The Hague, Holland half my 30+ years and loved it there - to be honest that is quite a small, village like city where you end up seeing the same people in the same bars....thats why I like it there - a sense of belonging - unlike London where you feel like just a number.

As an outgoing couple (other half American just to complicate things) please assure me that there is more to Perth than suburbian families with kids all running to the beach in their "Pleasantville" mode and backpackers?

Where would be the best place to look for housing? Mt Lawley, Subiaco and Leederville seen quite cool........where do the young couples, gays and singles live??

Hope to be in touch some of you lot out there soon!!

Tracy
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:01 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tracy (The 69 part is a bit worrying!)

Nice to see a new face on the forum.

We're going to Adelaide, it's supposed to be very 'arty' there.

If you haven't got time to research, try the links below.

Good luck,

Steve.

http://www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/

http://www.eadelaide.com/

http://www.everythingadelaide.com.au/

http://search.aol.com.au/cat.adp?id=...=&from=subcats
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip. Maybe should change the profile...just a dob!!
Thanks for the tips on Adelaide only its a LONG way from Perth!!
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Plenty of artists in Perth. Try Fremantle. Perth is small and suburban so if you find it a problem try Margaret River. Even smaller but has a completely different feel to the place.
Subiaco, Leederville, Mt Lawley are all good places to live if you enjoy an urban lifestyle.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that tip. There is a fashion design school in Perth isnt there? Are there any hip young designers boutiques? Do you think there would be a market for such a thing there?
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Not many designer boutiques in Perth. Little choice in retail compared to Europe and it is rather bland. But there's plenty of wealth and it's multi cultural so there are lots of avenues for you to explore.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. I suppose I can only get a feel of the market when I get there. Does you think that the fact these kind of places are not there is because there is not a market for them or do you think there is a need for something different within the young people catagory? I was a bit surprised whilst looking at some house interiors - so unimaginative and soleless. Mind you Aberdeen has been pretty tough on that front the past two years. I am not expecting New York Soho or anything but some hope of meeting similar people with the same ideas as myself...
Tracy
Old Jun 21st 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

There is a gaping hole in the market for something different in many aspects of retail. WA has the youngest population of any state in Australia.
As for housing being unimaginative in Perth? There are amazing designs and the interiors can be sensational. Imagination is your only limitation. The landscaping is as different as anything you've seen.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. That makes me feel more optimistic about Perth. Lets see if I can start up some a business that will cater for the young hipper Perthians!!
Signing out for now. Catch ya later
Old Jun 21st 2003, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracey,

Welcome to the forum. It's a good place for information (and entertainment). My wife and I are heading to Perth (unless she gets a transfer with work - then Sydney).

I'm also in the oil and gas industry. Probably one of the few who haven't worked in Aberdeen, but spent plenty of time in Den Haag.

We are validating our visas in November. Off to Perth first then onto Sydney and Brisbane.

Good luck with your move.
Karl.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 7:26 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Zebra4
Not many designer boutiques in Perth. Little choice in retail compared to Europe and it is rather bland. But there's plenty of wealth and it's multi cultural so there are lots of avenues for you to explore.
well theres a gap in the market if ive ever seen one. can you imagine the trade you would get if you opened up a shop selling designer gear in perth then, you might of just given me an idea......
Old Jun 21st 2003, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Member off to Perth

Hi Tracy

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Terry
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
you will get a lot from this forum and Wa is a fantastic place to live you will love your new life here, we do.
Paula
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by karlos
Hi Tracey,

Welcome to the forum. It's a good place for information (and entertainment). My wife and I are heading to Perth (unless she gets a transfer with work - then Sydney).

I'm also in the oil and gas industry. Probably one of the few who haven't worked in Aberdeen, but spent plenty of time in Den Haag.

We are validating our visas in November. Off to Perth first then onto Sydney and Brisbane.

Good luck with your move.
Karl.
Thanks for that. Yep there arent many great places left to go in the oil and gas industry (operational-wise). The Hague is a great place to live but is full of guys running around making powerpoint presentations to justify their existance and have never seen a rig in their life (thats a quote from the other half just incase you hadnt noticed). Houston is just the armpit of the US - those camps in the -stans arent exactly atractive for the females unless they want to become sherry alchies before 12 am......basically Perth is probably one of the best "oil" places left on the planet....

Are you off to work or holiday to Perth then Sydney? Sydney would be my first choice I reckon (melbourne sounds cool too) but then I havent got too much choice as I said. Got a friend out there though so will have to spend some quality time with her and explore the place.

Let us know when you get to Perth!!

Tracy
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Default Art/design grads for Perth enterprises?

Originally posted by denhim
well theres a gap in the market if ive ever seen one. can you imagine the trade you would get if you opened up a shop selling designer gear in perth then, you might of just given me an idea......
Well if there is anyone in Perth up for some enterprise in the art/interiordesign/fashion side of things there is a big ear here.

Hoping to hear from some young talented people (art/design grads)

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.