Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New member looking for advice

New member looking for advice

Old Jan 11th 2016, 9:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member looking for advice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you have webbed feet yet?
Nah, only been here 2 months - I believe it takes at least a year for the webbing to grow
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:42 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Must be the darkest depths of depressive January in the UK right now. Everyone wants to move. : )

Yup, I noticed that too. And with the end of the pheasant season looming, it's only going to get worse in February...

S
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yup, I noticed that too. And with the end of the pheasant season looming, it's only going to get worse in February...

S
What used yo get me through the long winters was weekend ski trips to the Alps. Lots of them.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like you are trying to escape things in the UK?

I think you will find the negative aspects are just as common in Australai.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:39 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

What used yo get me through the long winters was weekend ski trips to the Alps. Lots of them.

I never minded the long UK winters - they had a charm all of their own. Of course, I was lucky enough to be raised in the West Country, not in inner city Bradford, so maybe that means something.

I don't share this view that the UK is just completely dreadful because of the weather though - There are many things that can be done - just different things.

S
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bathnight1
Yes she is degree qualified,And is senior sister level Band 7.
So we are pretty certain she will gain the same role in australia.
Its pretty unusual (though not unheard of) to slot straight in at that level here, she might need to be prepared to prove herself first.

Has she looked into starting the registration process with AHPRA yet? That can taken many months
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I never minded the long UK winters - they had a charm all of their own. Of course, I was lucky enough to be raised in the West Country, not in inner city Bradford, so maybe that means something.

I don't share this view that the UK is just completely dreadful because of the weather though - There are many things that can be done - just different things.

S
It's not terribly great for photography. Very gloomy flat lighting a lot of the time or dark.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:21 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's not terribly great for photography. Very gloomy flat lighting a lot of the time or dark.

Great for rough shooting though

S
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Great for rough shooting though

S
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

S
Yes in moderation they were good. It was the length of winter that got to me in the end. I love UK summers. I just wish they could be a tad longer.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:28 am
has lost The Game

Yes in moderation they were good. It was the length of winter that got to me in the end. I love UK summers. I just wish they could be a tad longer.

Well, I've just got back from a month in the UK expecting some nice cold weather, and I don't think it made it beneath 10C the entire time I was there.

I left Sydney on the 3rd of December at 17C and arrived in London at 14C.

S
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, I've just got back from a month in the UK expecting some nice cold weather, and I don't think it made it beneath 10C the entire time I was there.

I left Sydney on the 3rd of December at 17C and arrived in London at 14C.
S
I think that's part of the problem with UK winters. They are neither here nor there and usually shrouded in damp and cloud. Proper winters need to be below 0, snow on the ground, crisp air, some sunshine. Usually the type that come with a drier climate like in Scandinavia, other parts of Europe, parts of the US and Canada.

The UK just misses out on decent winters
Old Jan 12th 2016, 6:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
On the contrary I find the softer lighting and varied scenery in the UK far better than the harsh light and general monotony of the Australian landscape.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 6:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bathnight1
Yes she is degree qualified,And is senior sister level Band 7.
So we are pretty certain she will gain the same role in australia.
Virtually all Australian nurses have degrees (you have to have one to register in the first place) and the system is very different.....don't make any assumptions until you have a firm job offer.

Many or most nurses find they have to start off in a more junior position......things are not as easy as they were a few years ago.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sudden surge in potential hopefuls to Australia seems to coincide with the refugee crisis??

As for weather a nice grey 8C is far more comfortable than the forcast of 41 back in melbourne tomorrow. You can do far more outside in 8C than 41C too.

Are UK winters that long these days? Temps seemed pretty mild when I last looked in late november.

Had a recent short spell of - 11C in Arizona recently, real dry cold, now that's serious winter. Didnt last of course.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 12th 2016 at 6:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.